AVS Forum banner

In Search of a TV MAYBE??!

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Feraz 
#1 ·
Hi guys, I'm new on this forum and I've decided to ask a question since I am getting a mixed bag of opinions from people and just wanted a little advice. I am an avid PC gamer and have been for about 9 years.

Here is my current rig so we know what we are talking about in reference.

I7 860 @ 3.9

Intel X-25M G2 SSD

MSI GTX580 1536mb (not sli)

Gigabyte UD3

8 Gigs Kingston Value Ram

Creative X-Fi

HP zr30W (2560X1600)

And finally the question. So I LOVE my HP 1600P monitor, yes its amazing and the amount of screen real estate and the general desktop use and with games. The color gamut is just ridiculous after calibration (1.06 billion colors) BUT I am tired of having to upgrade constantly and have to go the SLI route for upcoming games like BF3 since only 1 GTX580 won't run this adequaltley maxed out. Yes I am a gamer and have done SLI many times, BUT I no longer want to go SLI/Crossfire route. However at 1080P this GPU chews through any game I throw at it except maybe Metro 2033 maxed out around 39fps average

Now I have already tried to use a 27inch monitor at 1080P non IPS and have been very dissapointed in the color reproduction (colors and lifeless and bland coming from IPS) and sharpness at around 1-2 feet away on my desk. Would a decent TV (Samsung 6000...Song KDR 46inch at around 9-10 feet away) be dissapointing for me and look choppy or is it worth giving it a try from that far away, and please understand this would only be for games and movies my HP zr30W is not going anywhere, this is a GEM for desktop use and photo editing. I know it won't be as sharp as 2560X1600, thats just plan logic, but I want some SIZE and as long as the color gamut from the IPS TV is good, I wouldn't mind trying it. What do use guys think for me being an AVID FPS player and eagerly awaiting BF3, would a TV keep me happy or would I be dissapointed coming from a 30incher. I know I need to try it for myself first but im just looking for some advice first. Thanks for any responces, I just searched and am having trouble finding what I want to know.

Julian

See less See more
#3 ·
Usually waiting more than 2hrs for a response is a good idea.

If you already have a 30" display that does 2560x1440 and that's not adequate, you should check out the LCD forum (or Plasma forum) and pick out a TV from there depending upon your price range. Best Buy is selling a Westinghouse 60" model LCD for $1K. Sure it's only going to be 1920x1080 but if all you want is size you'll get it here.

I'm happy with my Sharp Quattron 60", but then again I also have a Dell u2711.

#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi /forum/post/20797734

Usually waiting more than 2hrs for a response is a good idea.

If you already have a 30" display that does 2560x1440 and that's not adequate, you should check out the LCD forum (or Plasma forum) and pick out a TV from there depending upon your price range. Best Buy is selling a Westinghouse 60" model LCD for $1K. Sure it's only going to be 1920x1080 but if all you want is size you'll get it here.

I'm happy with my Sharp Quattron 60", but then again I also have a Dell u2711.

And what would you rather game on assuming that you are a gamer? The 30inch is incredible but like I said I want more size and I want to upgrade less (2560X1600 is tough on GPU) 1080P is a joke for my GTX580. Im looking for 45-50inch since I only have 9-10feet to work with. All I was asking is for someone who has both type of screen (monitors and Tv) and they`re experiences... Like I said I tried a 27inch monitor 1080P TN panel and was disgusted in the difference coming from IPS.

#5 ·
I went with a 50" plasma because I enjoy the HTPC benefits in addition to gaming. It was large enough for me at the time and I chose the plasma technology because I felt it offered an overall superior picture to an equivalent lcd. Your mileage will possibly vary. I can live without the superfine resolution because I sit more than 7 feet from the tv. Your videocard should be more than enough for pretty much any game you will play at 1080p. It'd be nice to get the option for a 16:10 tv for computer usage but eh it's not that big a deal. I honestly don't know how much you'd be disappointed because I don't know your expectations for a monitor. Without you having demoed a game you play on your monitor and then in a situation with a larger tv it's hard to gauge your appreciation or lack thereof.

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 /forum/post/20800651

I went with a 50" plasma because I enjoy the HTPC benefits in addition to gaming. It was large enough for me at the time and I chose the plasma technology because I felt it offered an overall superior picture to an equivalent lcd. Your mileage will possibly vary. I can live without the superfine resolution because I sit more than 7 feet from the tv. Your videocard should be more than enough for pretty much any game you will play at 1080p. It'd be nice to get the option for a 16:10 tv for computer usage but eh it's not that big a deal. I honestly don't know how much you'd be disappointed because I don't know your expectations for a monitor. Without you having demoed a game you play on your monitor and then in a situation with a larger tv it's hard to gauge your appreciation or lack thereof.

I understand your point.....I guess I would really need to demo a TV to understand if I would be dissapointed coming from a 30incher to 1080P. Although I'm looking at plasma 55-60inch for about 9-10feet away. I would need to try it out and see if it took a toll on my competitive BFBC2 gaming being so far that is. Also I read alot about IR an Burn in, so thats a whole other story with alot of mixed opinions........however for responce times I would probably opt for Plasma......

#7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feraz
I understand your point.....I guess I would really need to demo a TV to understand if I would be dissapointed coming from a 30incher to 1080P. Although I'm looking at plasma 55-60inch for about 9-10feet away. I would need to try it out and see if it took a toll on my competitive BFBC2 gaming being so far that is. Also I read alot about IR an Burn in, so thats a whole other story with alot of mixed opinions........however for responce times I would probably opt for Plasma......
Well it'll help if you can somehow demo the material on each so you can see if there's going to be any disappointment moving from one to the other. I enjoy the more relaxed nature of the couch setup and have my kb/m setup to work in an acceptable manner. I use a 360 controller for games I feel benefit from it more than a kb/m. It gives me the comfort of the console experience while maintaining the flexibility of PC gaming.

As for burn-in and ir it's an overblown situation. IR does happen on plasmas, it's just a part of the way the technology works. Vary up your sources though and keep video settings reasonable and I doubt you'll ever have to worry about burn-in. I've used two different models of Samsung plasmas pretty religiously for htpc, gaming, and general productivity/web surfing going back to 2008 and I've yet to run into any issues. Like anything just be smart about how you use the product and it will last.

Personally I say go for the bigger screen any day of the week but I can understand the appeal of the larger desk monitor.

#8 ·
Well I decided to bite the bullet and finally pickup my TV. I decided without even trying it LOL to pickup a Panasonic Viera ST30 50inch plasma which I hooked up last night. I must say Windows 7 and the nvidia control panel make resizing the desktop for 1920X1080 a breeze coming down from 2560X1600, I thought i would run into aspect ratio problems. Here we go, I am impressed with this TV especially for movies at 1080P and even regular DVD all being run from my PC of course!! Surfing however will not replace my 30incher and quality is not even close for Windows viewing and/or Pictures. I tried BCBC2 last night at 1080p and although there is image quality degradation from down from 1600p (logical I guess) the size really kept me playing even sitting about 7-8 feet away, its a trade odd I don't mind making since I'm using my PC, and I love PC gaming. However my game skill went down dramatically, I guess I would need to adapt to playing further away and not seeing enemies as crystal clear as my HP zr30W and I suppose that maye take some weeks which is fine. NOW when I first turned it on, I was getting hoprrible iput lag for about 5-7 minutes in game to the point where I couldn't even snipe like the FPS was at 10-12. At that point the TV was going back to BB lol, so I decided to let it warm up and give it another try. However then it completly dissapeared, was this the plasma or phosphurus heating up? Does these TV require a warm up period? Colors were overall excellent and very close to my 30incher it really felt nice having a big screen, but like I said pixel pitch even from far is more noticeable on TV VS a high end monitor which I expected.

Overall I'm happy to say that I will be keeping my new TV as for entertainment it is very nice and I'll practive gaming on it, because with 8XMSAA and 16AA PC quality is PC qaulity, and I can never let go of a mouse and keyboard, I can only wait for BF3. The only other question I had was in BFBC2 the screen was slightly shifted to the left so I couldn't see everything in game, could this have anything to do with my windows adjustement of h-position and v-position? I also turned off MOTION SMOOTHER as I have read this can interfere. What about the whole TV must be at 60hz thing, do I need to worry about that at all with this SET.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.