Addicted on Civilization V! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 08-15-2011, 11:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I picked the game up a few weeks ago off GreenMan Gaming (great site BTW) for $7.50 and just started playing. What a great game! Only thing is it's so addicting! I sat down with it at 8PM, looked at the clock and it was 1AM!!!

Well, at least when Deus Ex comes out it will give me a break from it.

What does annoy me is the graphic artifacts on my 6950 in DX11 mode. The game has been out long enough for ATI to get it together- but I guess it's par-for-the-course with them.

Does this game support multiple displays? I could see it being awesome over three monitors.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 08-15-2011, 11:45 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked: 820
I have it and it gets updates and new DLC every month or so. I don't run into visual artifacts anymore but I used to. Seems that the patches fixed that for me. Great game and a good time sink.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- direct pod link

- main website

post #3 of 17 Old 08-16-2011, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 66
i picked this game up a couple of months ago and I'm hooked again. The clock thing is very true. I installed a wall clock close to my desk now to be able to see what time it is really
post #4 of 17 Old 08-16-2011, 12:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 199
I bought mine from GreenManGaming too. The deal was to incredible to pass up, plus they were simply selling codes to dload it off of Steam, which is my preferred shell for PC gaming because of the auto-updates.

I plan to try out Civ V this weekend to see if this genre is as fun as people say it is (I've never played one)

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #5 of 17 Old 09-08-2011, 01:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The game is now $12.50 on Steam for this weekend only. I still haven't had the time to fire it up, but I'm getting close to clearing enough of my backlog to do it.

post #6 of 17 Old 09-08-2011, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Anyone know how this plays on the 2011 11" Macbook Air? (Core i5 1.6GHz, HD3000 GPU).

I've got a friend who is interested in it at the weekend price, but that would be the machine they'd be playing on.

I know it doesn't play on my 3 year old laptop (though I love it on my main system), but my laptop is still a DX8 part so it's not even possible. I suspect it'd run on their MBA, just very slowly. Any ideas?

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #7 of 17 Old 09-08-2011, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does this help?

http://www.thewunderbar.net/2011/08/...view-mid-2011/

'I didn't buy the Air to be a gaming machine, and I'm obviously not going to try running a lot of high end games, but that being said I loaded up Civilization V and it was playable at the native resolution; albeit on the low settings. Most games that are a few years old seem to run fine (Star Wars: Empire at War was my main test case), and the Air runs Angry Birds and Plants vs. Zombies like a fiend.'
post #8 of 17 Old 09-08-2011, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagyl View Post

Does this help?

http://www.thewunderbar.net/2011/08/...view-mid-2011/

'I didn't buy the Air to be a gaming machine, and I'm obviously not going to try running a lot of high end games, but that being said I loaded up Civilization V and it was playable at the native resolution; albeit on the low settings. Most games that are a few years old seem to run fine (Star Wars: Empire at War was my main test case), and the Air runs Angry Birds and Plants vs. Zombies like a fiend.'

Thanks, I tried finding benchmarks myself but didn't find that article. I'll point them to that to decide.

post #9 of 17 Old 09-08-2011, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post

Anyone know how this plays on the 2011 11" Macbook Air? (Core i5 1.6GHz, HD3000 GPU).

I've got a friend who is interested in it at the weekend price, but that would be the machine they'd be playing on.

I know it doesn't play on my 3 year old laptop (though I love it on my main system), but my laptop is still a DX8 part so it's not even possible. I suspect it'd run on their MBA, just very slowly. Any ideas?

i was able to play on my old computer

dual core 2,6 ghz
2Gb Ram
8800GT

He'll probably be able to run it.
post #10 of 17 Old 07-31-2012, 10:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Heh, it's been almost a year since I posted that I'd try Civ V out after clearing some backlog and I finally got around to it. This game is addictively great!

Although the strategy genre is pretty foreign to me (last one I played was Lords of Conquest on the Commodore 64), Civ V has been really easy to get into. I read enough to understand the basic game flow and the general options before starting my first game. I decided not to focus on any specific end goals too early and have just been playing by ear to get used to the system. My people were born in a desert area with frozen ice nearby, so development was a bit slow early on.

Two of the three other Civ leaders I encountered on my immediate continent were pretty cool (Austria and Greece), and we all just kept growing and being friendly with each other over the centuries. Montezuma of the Aztecs though was the odd man out of our circle of trust. While friendly with me, he kept an aggressive stance with my two buddies. When they recruited me to battle him, I was all in. As it turns out though, he built his defenses pretty strongly, so it is tough to wear him down (I now have stage II catapults though).

What cracked me up was that after begging me for peace for a minor payoff at least three times (I refused), the fourth time Montezuma asked he offered me almost everything his empire owned of value. I got spices, iron, horses, marble, silk, a jackpot of gold plus extra gold payments every turn for thirty turns. For only ten turns of peace? I took that deal in a hurry because I was hurting for cash and city-state influence.

Three of those items were desired by City-States, so they all became buddies with me when I added the goods to my trade network. Simultaneously, a Golden Age started for me so my stats just shot up even higher. This is all just as the Renaissance Age is about to begin (I'm half way through the game I guess). All of this has got me feeling pretty good about my humble four-city empire built from scratch and our prospects for the future. But this is just as a new, far-off Civilization has recently built a large vessel to visit our lands. Hopefully they are friendly. I need to build a boat like that because half the world remains undiscovered.

This is a great, great game. smile.gif

post #11 of 17 Old 08-01-2012, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

Heh, it's been almost a year since I posted that I'd try Civ V out after clearing some backlog and I finally got around to it. This game is addictively great!

This is a great, great game. smile.gif

Glad you finally had a chance to enjoy this addictively great game smile.gif (you nailed the right word)

You are also right in the good time since they just released the expansion a couple of months ago that now introduce Spies and religion! I haven't picked it up myself but will have to soon but i haven't touched Civ V for a couple of months, busy with other games now frown.gif

What astonishes me the most about this game is that my dad has 1000+ hours in and is trying to complete all of Steam's achievement for the game! eek.gif Talk about dedication and patience tongue.gif
post #12 of 17 Old 08-01-2012, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

The sad thing for me is that I HAVE picked up the expansion, and yet haven't had a chance to play it since then. tongue.gif

post #13 of 17 Old 08-01-2012, 03:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashboard View Post

Glad you finally had a chance to enjoy this addictively great game smile.gif (you nailed the right word)
You are also right in the good time since they just released the expansion a couple of months ago that now introduce Spies and religion! I haven't picked it up myself but will have to soon but i haven't touched Civ V for a couple of months, busy with other games now frown.gif
What astonishes me the most about this game is that my dad has 1000+ hours in and is trying to complete all of Steam's achievement for the game! eek.gif Talk about dedication and patience tongue.gif

It’s pretty cool that your dad is hardcore into the game. The only games my dad has played are Solitaire and the latest Gran Turismo (he’s a car nut). Still, 1,000+ hours? eek.gif

As for religion, I didn’t know what to expect from the play mechanic (especially if other Civs would overwhelm my empire with their religions), so I made sure I dominated the known world with my faith network first. It was probably overkill because over thirty entities have adopted my religion (which spread VERY fast), I am close to 1,000 unspent faith points, and I have three Great Prophets sitting around with nothing to do.

I wish I knew how to transform the Prophets into holy sites for the gold/culture bonus, but the option comes up randomly. I started dismantling all my Shrines to save even more gold. Maybe they’ll be something out there once I explore the rest of the world.

I only have one spy right now. My current philosophy is mainly to protect my capital from spy intrusion with her, so I don’t send her out on espionage or hacking missions. I’m not interested in seeing what my friends are up to behind the scenes unless they cross me. I probably should be doing more, but I don’t want to risk her getting caught and screwing up my solid diplomatic ties. I really don't like to make a fuss with anyone; even when Montezuma started bad mouthing me to the the other Civs and city-statesafter we made our deal, I didn't retaliate. Besides, who would believe a crazed tyrant over me considering all the good I've done in the world? wink.gif

Overall I’ll keep focusing on growing my trade network to include as many different products as possible while maintaining a strong defensive presence (war boats, troops of all types, catapults, etc. all highly trained with extra battle perks) to deal with any ne’er do wells. Besides faith, my culture growth is in good shape, I’m starting to make a solid income, and my people are relatively happy/well-fed.

I should have invested in the sciences more early on. I think I’m lagging in the tech tree advancement. Fortunately the lady in Greece keeps forging technology pacts with me so that we both are getting bonus advancements that helps make up for my early lack of attention to that area.

Once again, great game!

post #14 of 17 Old 08-02-2012, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

It’s pretty cool that your dad is hardcore into the game. The only games my dad has played are Solitaire and the latest Gran Turismo (he’s a car nut). Still, 1,000+ hours? eek.gif
As for religion, I didn’t know what to expect from the play mechanic (especially if other Civs would overwhelm my empire with their religions), so I made sure I dominated the known world with my faith network first. It was probably overkill because over thirty entities have adopted my religion (which spread VERY fast), I am close to 1,000 unspent faith points, and I have three Great Prophets sitting around with nothing to do.
I wish I knew how to transform the Prophets into holy sites for the gold/culture bonus, but the option comes up randomly. I started dismantling all my Shrines to save even more gold. Maybe they’ll be something out there once I explore the rest of the world.
I only have one spy right now. My current philosophy is mainly to protect my capital from spy intrusion with her, so I don’t send her out on espionage or hacking missions. I’m not interested in seeing what my friends are up to behind the scenes unless they cross me. I probably should be doing more, but I don’t want to risk her getting caught and screwing up my solid diplomatic ties. I really don't like to make a fuss with anyone; even when Montezuma started bad mouthing me to the the other Civs and city-statesafter we made our deal, I didn't retaliate. Besides, who would believe a crazed tyrant over me considering all the good I've done in the world? wink.gif
Overall I’ll keep focusing on growing my trade network to include as many different products as possible while maintaining a strong defensive presence (war boats, troops of all types, catapults, etc. all highly trained with extra battle perks) to deal with any ne’er do wells. Besides faith, my culture growth is in good shape, I’m starting to make a solid income, and my people are relatively happy/well-fed.
I should have invested in the sciences more early on. I think I’m lagging in the tech tree advancement. Fortunately the lady in Greece keeps forging technology pacts with me so that we both are getting bonus advancements that helps make up for my early lack of attention to that area.
Once again, great game!

Sounds like you got the hang of the game already. I should try the expansino because all the thing you said about spies and religion, I didn't have a clue!

The only flaw I have with the game is the AI, don't know if they fixed it with the expansion but sometimes the other nations were all pretty friendly and then you make a normal move and they start bad-mouthing about you and everyone turns against you for no apparent reason biggrin.gif (I'll usually crush the one that started bad mouthing me first tho as a retaliation wink.gif)
post #15 of 17 Old 08-03-2012, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

I picked the game up a few weeks ago off GreenMan Gaming (great site BTW) for $7.50 and just started playing. What a great game! Only thing is it's so addicting! I sat down with it at 8PM, looked at the clock and it was 1AM!!!

Well, at least when Deus Ex comes out it will give me a break from it.

What does annoy me is the graphic artifacts on my 6950 in DX11 mode. The game has been out long enough for ATI to get it together- but I guess it's par-for-the-course with them.

Does this game support multiple displays? I could see it being awesome over three monitors.

FWIW I've never played any Civilization game.

I checked this out at Amazon and didn't like the price and didn't like the overall owner ratings there.

Civilization IV has better Amazon reviews and a much lower current price. That's where I went.

The best is the enemy of the good. Voltaire (1694-1778)

post #16 of 17 Old 08-03-2012, 07:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

That post is almost a year old. The game has been patched substantially since then, including adding some of the Civ IV elements like religion. As an ex-Civ newbie like you are now, I'd say that the current version is a lot of fun. Don't take my word for it; despite the rocky launch awhile back, currently gamers say the series is getting better, not worse:

post #17 of 17 Old 08-21-2012, 10:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

My first game ended in bitter defeat. I spent so much time worrying about my next door neighbor Montezuma, that I didn't notice how big and powerful Persia was getting. I had two friends in Greece and Carthage, but they were weak and poor. I found that out after Persia destroyed them both, and I was helpless to stop him (I still didn't know the battle mechanics). Persia won with a U.N. vote, and I wasn't really close to anything. Oh well, at least I learned the mechanics of the game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashboard View Post

Sounds like you got the hang of the game already. I should try the expansino because all the thing you said about spies and religion, I didn't have a clue!
The only flaw I have with the game is the AI, don't know if they fixed it with the expansion but sometimes the other nations were all pretty friendly and then you make a normal move and they start bad-mouthing about you and everyone turns against you for no apparent reason biggrin.gif (I'll usually crush the one that started bad mouthing me first tho as a retaliation wink.gif)

I completed my second game and won this time by completing the Utopian Project (cultural victory). I'm not sure what happened to me is what you are referring to, but Spain was nasty with me from the start. Apparently she was allied with three City States and Japan, so when Japan got upset with me for being friendly with Korea, it started a chain reaction. He declared war, Spain followed suit, and then all her City States hated me as well. Maybe I should have checked the global politics before befriending Korea.

I had to kill Spain and turn the CSs into puppet states just to get some breathing room. From there, the rest of the world (except Korea) stayed guarded in their opinion of me as they tossed insults until the end of the game. I grew too powerful for them to attack me, head on so they left me alone as I racked up the cultural bonuses (I was in a Golden Age for at least 60% of the game because of at least ten Great Artists).

Of course this victory came at 3:00 A.M. on a work night. wink.gif

Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page