AVS Forum banner

Gamestop opens new games to remove digital download coupon

2K views 24 replies 10 participants last post by  flagyl 
#1 ·
 http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged...234821510.html

I don't think it is fair. If one purchases the game, one is entitled to everything within the case. It is not for the retailer to determine what one should or shouldn't be allowed to possess.

I lamented the purchase of Impulse by Gamestop, but I still used the service (I bought ~ five games from them). But I think I will no longer utilize any service of Gamestop. The only way they will change their corporate culture is if there are financial repercussions for their treatment of their customers.

Edit-A somewhat better article- http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2011/08/gamestop-onlive/

#4 ·
@WJ-I agree. What I THINK i may do is that I may only buy from Impulse when they are having a ridiculous sale (like 75% off a game, etc) but never utilize them for their regularly priced items as I would with Steam or GOG, where I will buy a game at full price if I want it. I won't buy any used games from them again either; I think I will utilize Amazon and Best Buy for that purpose.

#7 ·
If it's in their contract with the vendors they have every right to do what they're doing. It's still a crappy thing to do and I don't care for their don't give a ish attitude about it but I would think they're smart enough to cover their bases. This company didn't get where they are by not being ruthless.

#10 ·
Well that is the good thing about choice. If company A is doing something you don't like just try company B. And so on, and so on...

They'll get the message eventually. Well, maybe not in Gamestop's case, but that's how it's supposed to work in theory lol.

#11 ·
If the executives at GameStop are so concerned with the competition, then not selling the game to people who didn't pre-order is what they should have done upon discovery of the coupon (while not tampering with the product for those who did pre-order).

Now the company looks sleazier than ever before, and many customers are aware of it all.

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi /forum/post/20868776

Now they stopped selling Deus Ex altogether. Don't want to compete against Steam I guess.

No, they don't want their customers to sign up with OnLive. If they were against Steam, there would be plenty of other games they wouldn't sell. Gamestop is gearing up their own streaming gaming service and OnLive is going to be a direct competitor. Gamestop can still sell you a Steam game, they can't sell you an OnLive product.

Pulling the games that had the OnLive coupons is what should have been done in the first place. Then those games could be exchanged for non-coupon packages. They shouldn't have opened and pulled anything from the package, especially since Gamestop doesn't take back open pc games. SE isn't entirely innocent in this either (as you can tell from SE's comments on the matter). How can you ask a retailer to sell a product that encourages the customer to go to a (soon to be) competing service that provides no financial incentive to that retailer?

What should happen in the future is once Gamestop gets their service set-up, they should have coupons for that service in their copies and other retailers can get OnLive coupon versions. I really don't think SE cares which streaming service sells their games, as long as it's a service that doesn't allow the customer any control of that product (the real reason SE is going strong with OnLive).

#13 ·
I actually buy some 360 and ps3 games form gamestop. But the manager is a super cute chick and we game it up regularly on 360 and the pc. She's always talking about the new games EB is getting, so I just tell her want I want and she drops it off at my work on launch day

#14 ·
Aww ain't that sweet.

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG /forum/post/20871351

I actually buy some 360 and ps3 games form gamestop. But the manager is a super cute chick and we game it up regularly on 360 and the pc. She's always talking about the new games EB is getting, so I just tell her want I want and she drops it off at my work on launch day

Damn, why not just take it a little further. Then you can get games delivered under your pillow.

#17 ·
Because some people still like physical copies of games. I have several games on disc that I could have bought through steam but I wanted them on disc.

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJonathan /forum/post/20873210

Damn, why not just take it a little further. Then you can get games delivered under your pillow.

Not saying I wouldn't like to but I'm not sure the wife would approve

I did just get madden 12 delivered this morning

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 /forum/post/20873545

Because some people still like physical copies of games. I have several games on disc that I could have bought through steam but I wanted them on disc.

But...But... It's not really a physical copy- it's still a Steamworks game, meaning there is no advantage to buying it on disc other than maybe saving d/l time if you don't have the bandwidth. If Steam ever went down you still wouldn't be able to play it.

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG /forum/post/20874169

Not saying I wouldn't like to but I'm not sure the wife would approve

I did just get madden 12 delivered this morning

afraid of the "Bobbitt" effect...

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi /forum/post/20874193

But...But... It's not really a physical copy- it's still a Steamworks game, meaning there is no advantage to buying it on disc other than maybe saving d/l time if you don't have the bandwidth. If Steam ever went down you still wouldn't be able to play it.

Yeah you actually have a point on that one. I forget about them being tied to Steam because the service has never gone down for me. I guess if I had to specify my response it'd be for a game like New Vegas. I purchased the special edition because I wanted the hardbound comic and I liked the little extras in the set. Your point stands though because the only time Steam didn't work for me was the night I bought the game lol. Actually, Steam worked but my internet service was down atm so I couldn't do anything with it. That was the bitter taste of being tied to an online service that I didn't like.

#22 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker
afraid of the "Bobbitt" effect...
LOL well there's that but more the face that my wife's a doctor and makes extremely good money. That means pretty much all my money I make, can be spent on anything I want and I do pretty damn good for myself painting at a GM dealership and building gaming rigs on the side for fun

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.