AVS Forum banner

My hdtv is getting no signal when i play pc games.

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  HeadRusch 
#1 ·
As the title says. I'm not sure what's wrong with it. I can do anything on the desktop but when it comes to launching pc games, the hdtv just loses it's signal. I tried doing stuff on catalyst but even then i'm not really sure how to configure it.

My computer's specs are as follows:

intel i5 - 450m

ati radeon hd5850 / 1gb ddr5

ddr 3 (4 gb)

If anybody can help me solve this situation, it'd be great.

#2 ·
Off the top of my head, is your Television a native 720p display?

Note, I said 720p (1280x720), not 768p (1366x768).

REASON: most games launch for the first time, if they are older and don't try to auto-configure themselves to the desktop settings, at a low resolution like 1024x768.

A 1366x768 can display that signal native, but many 720p displays treat that as an "Signal Out Of Range" situation ,and you get a blank screen.

If your TV is 1080p, there are other possibilities.

#3 ·
As stated, the game is likely starting up in a default resolution which your tv doesn't handle.

However, pretty much any game has some way of setting your resolution outside of the game. It may involve manually editing a config file, but it almost always can be done. Google will be your best friend when dealing with each specific game and how to do this. You are certainly not going to be the only person out there with this problem.

#4 ·
I think there is a way to set your driver to do videocard scaling right, so the tv doesn't get sent a signal it can't handle......never had to use it myself.

#5 ·
It'd obviously help to know what kind of tv it is. The other suggestions sound reasonable assuming games are the only issue.

#7 ·
I suppose a good question to ask at this point is: Is this every game, or just some games.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.