post #301 of 407 Old 12-20-2011, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post

You are totally wrong my friend.... Their team won since it looks like they were on the defence and need only to kill all the attackers to win. Stingers type MAA are often and easily spoofed by flares. There is no spoofing laser designators in the game. The Javelin also carries a heavier punch that can take down an attack helo while it takes two stinger types to do the same, that's if the latter even hits. Their purpose was anti-air (helo).

They are also helping their side by taking out the op force helos so their side can do more or even survive. Same as what a sniper do except they can take out bigger stuff. Run and gun types never appreciate that their ass might have just been saved by a sniper or like in this case the anti helo squad.

ADD: before you all claim I am a saying all this because I am a camper (which I am). My main weapon for kills in BF3 is the AGOG suppresed SCAR-H and not a sniper rifle.

If they won, it would be because the other guys got and held the bases. When we play scrims against other clans, this is ideal, it take 3 guys completely out of the game. Ya they are taking out planes, helis but like I said, 2 guys with stingers can do the same thing but more effectively. A guy locks on, plane/heli blows flares other guy has missile on the way as well as your own, works every time. Our clan has this down pat, there is never any air support during our scrims. You can also get a guy sitting 3rd in a mobile tanks and paint targets from there, thats also more effective, as he can jump out and repair while tanks/btr is still fully ripping people up.

As far as camping, Snipers are needed, you have to have them to win, 3 guys sitting on a roof shooting the odd plane are not when there are better ways to do the exact same thing AND help out your team will kills/points.

lol thats my take on it. But I'm lucky as I have 25 guys who all play together all the time and we have it down to a science. 64-5 in our scrims so far

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 407 Old 12-20-2011, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post

Our clan has this down pat, there is never any air support during our scrims. You can also get a guy sitting 3rd in a mobile tanks and paint targets from there, thats also more effective, as he can jump out and repair while tanks/btr is still fully ripping people up.

I would love to have the visuals and gameplay of a game like BF2/3, but mixed with the rules from a game like, say, Operation Flashpoint/ARMA II, but perhaps not the movement.

In those games you can't just spawn all to hell with rocket launchers and crap strapped to your back. If you see an enemy tank column, and all you have is a single AT4, you haul ass back to the woods and hope someone comes along with an attack helicopter. Games like BF2/3 are fun, but like I was ranting somewhere else (possibly earlier in this thread), the ease and availability of anti-tank/AA weapons make piloting most vehicles a death sentence.

BF3 I think would be perfect with less rocket launchers/aa weapons, but also less respawnability of vehicles.....when that T72 respawns as soon as one is destroyed then people play stupidly with them.

I am not decrying these games now....i'm just saying...it would be nice if they evolved a bit. But I think I'm in the minority.

Op Flashpoint was the only FPS I ever played where on single player missions where I didn't have a squad, I was terrified Also, when I saw a BTR or BMP rolling along, and I didn't have an anti-tank weapon, I would be sweating bullets....

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #303 of 407 Old 12-20-2011, 02:35 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 731 Post(s)
Liked: 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRusch View Post

I would love to have the visuals and gameplay of a game like BF2/3, but mixed with the rules from a game like, say, Operation Flashpoint/ARMA II, but perhaps not the movement.

In those games you can't just spawn all to hell with rocket launchers and crap strapped to your back. If you see an enemy tank column, and all you have is a single AT4, you haul ass back to the woods and hope someone comes along with an attack helicopter. Games like BF2/3 are fun, but like I was ranting somewhere else (possibly earlier in this thread), the ease and availability of anti-tank/AA weapons make piloting most vehicles a death sentence.

BF3 I think would be perfect with less rocket launchers/aa weapons, but also less respawnability of vehicles.....when that T72 respawns as soon as one is destroyed then people play stupidly with them.

I am not decrying these games now....i'm just saying...it would be nice if they evolved a bit. But I think I'm in the minority.

Op Flashpoint was the only FPS I ever played where on single player missions where I didn't have a squad, I was terrified Also, when I saw a BTR or BMP rolling along, and I didn't have an anti-tank weapon, I would be sweating bullets....

THIS!!! THIS!!!!

Why can't this game be made?

I've got all the ARMA2 addons, even. I'd be down to start up a game with AVS'ers but ARMA is pretty hardcore (both gameplay and system spec-wise) so I dunno how the turn out would be ... but... man, now THIS would be epic!

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #304 of 407 Old 12-20-2011, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

I love OFP and have every arma game and every addon. Arma has good stuff about it but it's clunky control, AI disaster and just general lack of creativeness really make me sour on the series. The AI is either shooting you from 800 yards with a handgun or letting you walk right up to them and shoot them in the face. It's a 50/50 shot weather what you're gonna get. I love the vehicles, HUGE maps and the way they have things setup as far as your objectives etc but IMO they don't execute the whole package. Thats why Arma never really became popular. It's really only a bunch of ultra hard core guys playing it. We shall see what Arma 3 will become but after I read that the engine will not be changed and a ton of the problems with the previous games will not be addressed, I don't have much hope, it will be another "hardcore" game that will have limited fun factor as they will not be coming out with new gaming modes, a real shame IMO.
I'm far from saying the BF3 is a great game by any means but if you want to win, you do what needs to be done.l I'm not a fan of the spamming, rockets, stingers, nades etc but at the end of the day, you pretty much have to if you want to win.
I'm generally a vehicle guy or chopper gunner. Our clan has just enough people that pretty much everyone can play any style the want to though I'm never a camper, It's just not my style but you do need them on your team to defend points, helps out a lot.

IMO the most fun I've ever had was in "Joint Operations" The ability to make your own maps and the huge levels was amazing at the time. I miss those days. I had over 1000 hours in the game and the addons.

post #305 of 407 Old 12-20-2011, 03:06 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 731 Post(s)
Liked: 929
Yeah, where the OFP/ARMA gets it wrong is in the whole 'feel' and overall control over your own character and the AI. The non-controllable AI is awful. However, the missions were pretty tough and sometimes buggy... but man, the satisfaction is unreal!

I remember in the first Operation Flashpoint there was a mission where I had to play as Spec Ops. Sneak into a base, blow up some armor... all that good stuff. Anyway, you had a good trek to and from with sentries to worry about. Take em out quietly or slip past. I remember doing all that but on the way out my guys got downed it was just up to me to head to extract all alone. Had to run, no, sprint my way a few kilometers. Running thru a forrest inbetween open areas (best cuz it was harder to be seen by the AI enemy) and I had heli's up above searching for us and I'm sure there was an APC hunting me down on the outskirt of the forrest. God this was intense!!! I always think of this when I hear stories about that one mission in the first CoD:MW game where you were a sniper or something and you had to crawl thru the grass with those guys near you. Yeah f**king right! That s**t is for kiddies. Scripted hand-holding crap! Boooorrrriiiinnnnggg. I laughed the first time a friend showed me that mission.

We need a perfect mix of the BF/BC series and ARMA... that's what I was on about in the post above.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #306 of 407 Old 12-20-2011, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Can you imagine BF games with maps the size of Arma? I remember once my chopper went down and it took me an actual hour to get back to base and I was less than half way to my objective. LOL I ran back just to see how long it would take.

post #307 of 407 Old 12-23-2011, 06:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I had so many great experiences in the original OFP and its addons. Loved the recon missions and missions where you go deep into enemy territory. The performance requirements, AI and the server lag are the big things that kept me away from Arma and Arma2. I did really want to play them and i probably would have but i had a huge backlog of games which im finally catching up on. I did watch some great videos of the 6th Sense clan playing Arma 2 and damn did that look fun. Example: http://www.youtube.com/user/Briggsil...48/WTd_rRkD-P0 I could do that all day long.

They just need to polish that sucker instead of redo/add new stuff. Arma 3 is coming out and they have quite a few cool new features, but i don't have much hope for them smoothing out the game and fixing the A.I. I should make an Arma 3 thread.
post #308 of 407 Old 12-27-2011, 11:02 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Who was it that I was playing with that was getting 60 fps playing on Ultra?

I only get about 25 fps playing on Ultra with a 2GB MSI R6950 Twin Frozr II...and I usually have to dumb down my video settings a bit to get around that 38-50 fps range which is still kinda sucks.

I definitely want to run this game on Ultra @ 60 fps...

Anyone have a good recommendation for a good graphics card that will do this?

"OmfgItzThaMack" on XBL, Steam, & Origin...

facebook.com/craiglevere
post #309 of 407 Old 12-27-2011, 11:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Location: guarding my retirement igloo...with a McMillan TAC-50 long range sniper rifle
I turn off mo blur, min AA stuff and Ambi OC off/min but keep everything else at ULTRA at 1920x1200 and I get ~120-150fps plus max with a min ~80fps but on the occasion I have seen it drop to ~30-40 when I am inside some of the large multi level buildings,mainly on the new old maps. I could run at 2560x1600 on my 30" monitor but the text and some other on screen stuff is too small for my old eyes. I use three non OC'd ATi 5870s in Xfire with an INTEL i7/920 @ 4.2 and 12gb mem.

If you want to run max'd out at min of 60fps (assuming at 1080) then you will prob need to do Xfire with another 6950.

ADD: the frame rates diff vastly dependent on the map and what is happening in the game so it's really hard to pin point an exact fps while in game.

You do not stop playing because you get old...
You get old because you stop playing.
post #310 of 407 Old 12-28-2011, 08:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I turn off mo blur, min AA stuff and Ambi OC off/min but keep everything else at ULTRA at 1920x1200 and I get ~120-150fps plus max with a min ~80fps but on the occasion I have seen it drop to ~30-40 when I am inside some of the large multi level buildings,mainly on the new old maps. I could run at 2560x1600 on my 30" monitor but the text and some other on screen stuff is too small for my old eyes. I use three non OC'd ATi 5870s in Xfire with an INTEL i7/920 @ 4.2 and 12gb mem.

If you want to run max'd out at min of 60fps (assuming at 1080) then you will prob need to do Xfire with another 6950.

ADD: the frame rates diff vastly dependent on the map and what is happening in the game so it's really hard to pin point an exact fps while in game.

What is motion blur anyways? Also when you say minimize AA stuff do you mean turn it off or run it at 2x instead of 4x?

Edit - Now that you mention it...after firing up a few games just now, yeah, the fps seem way better on the original bf3 maps opposed to the btk ones. I'm getting at least 55-65 or more on Ultra with those maps just with my one card. Sometimes it drops down to like 48 or so but overall very steady.

facebook.com/craiglevere
post #311 of 407 Old 12-28-2011, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Motion Blur is the bane of all games, and the first effect I turn off...it attempts to recreate "the blur associated with quickly moving your eyes or head around in the real world"....but all it really does is smear the contents of the screen when you whip the mouse or controller around.

I think Crysis was the first game to offer it (or one-of the first), now all games seem to force feed it to you. Mercifully its usually a post-processing effect that can be turned off.

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #312 of 407 Old 12-30-2011, 12:38 AM
Advanced Member

Can someone answer me what the hell I keep doing to get this text prompt to come up and how I get rid of it? It's so annoying to get that in game cause it totally screws me up...and I don't know how to get rid of it. Thanks.
LL

facebook.com/craiglevere
post #313 of 407 Old 12-30-2011, 06:05 AM

Liked: 11

Love sports, movies, and games. Slowly some day I'll add a projector and screen. Until then, I'll build up my library.
post #314 of 407 Old 12-30-2011, 09:25 AM

You are hitting the key below the escape key which opens the console to type in commands. You have to hit that key again to close it. The tilde character
post #315 of 407 Old 01-01-2012, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledzep77 View Post

You are hitting the key below the escape key which opens the console to type in commands. You have to hit that key again to close it. The tilde character

Thnx bro...

facebook.com/craiglevere
post #316 of 407 Old 01-02-2012, 01:36 AM
Advanced Member

Really enjoying this game more right now playing on smaller sized servers...like 8 vs 8 or even 12 vs 12 since I'm still not a very good player. Not only is the game new to me and I've haven't spent a whole lot of time with it cause of MW3 and everything else that's been going on but after I put my second gpu in and up my psu I think I'm going to be playing a lot more. The graphics in this game are absolutely amazing. One thing I've noticed though...coming from COD, is that all the movements seem a little slower. Like going prone or hopping onto something. Is this just me or what? And seems like dropshotting doesn't really apply in this game due to the animations on the character actually lying down.

facebook.com/craiglevere
post #317 of 407 Old 01-02-2012, 07:40 PM
Advanced Member

Pics...LOVING this game...getting a lil' better . Would really like to squad up with some of you guys.
LL
LL
LL
LL

facebook.com/craiglevere
post #318 of 407 Old 01-03-2012, 01:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Location: guarding my retirement igloo...with a McMillan TAC-50 long range sniper rifle
Frakking, frigging POS. I was on my way to doing good with 8-1 K/D in one game and got kicked by punkbuster for no reason, says kicked for 0 sec's . I was able to play on other servers right after. Best game was 38-4 K/D with 4-6 flag caps on Gulf of Oman map as a camper. It was so much fun sniping a whole team of 4-5 guys off the Hotel roof on that map from the construction site. I was getting a lot of lag and disconnects on some servers tonight. I only play on servres with hardcore on and 64 player games. Need HC on to stand a chance as a camper.

post #319 of 407 Old 01-03-2012, 09:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Frakking, frigging POS. I was on my way to doing good with 8-1 K/D in one game and got kicked by punkbuster for no reason, says kicked for 0 sec's . I was able to play on other servers right after. Best game was 38-4 K/D with 4-6 flag caps on Gulf of Oman map as a camper. It was so much fun sniping a whole team of 4-5 guys off the Hotel roof on that map from the construction site. I was getting a lot of lag and disconnects on some servers tonight. I only play on servres with hardcore on and 64 player games. Need HC on to stand a chance as a camper.

Yeah I haven't played HC yet...but I have noticed that sometimes it takes a ridiculous amount of rounds to kill someone. Maybe I'll have to give that a go. 38-4 is a good game. I'm still getting used to it. This is NOT Call Of Duty and that's my background. I do think it's retarded that there's no in game chat system in this game - wtf were they thinking? People play like idiots...I'll be getting shot the *insert F word here* up and Medics run right by me without throwing down a med pack . The only thing with the 64 player servers is that it just seems like waaaaaayyyyyyyyyy tooooooooooo much. I get flanked every two seconds, or hit with a rocket, or fragged, or just plain run into like 4 dudes at once and am just outnumbered.

facebook.com/craiglevere
post #320 of 407 Old 01-03-2012, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmfgItzThaMack View Post

Yeah I haven't played HC yet...but I have noticed that sometimes it takes a ridiculous amount of rounds to kill someone. Maybe I'll have to give that a go. 38-4 is a good game. I'm still getting used to it. This is NOT Call Of Duty and that's my background. I do think it's retarded that there's no in game chat system in this game - wtf were they thinking? People play like idiots...I'll be getting shot the *insert F word here* up and Medics run right by me without throwing down a med pack . The only thing with the 64 player servers is that it just seems like waaaaaayyyyyyyyyy tooooooooooo much. I get flanked every two seconds, or hit with a rocket, or fragged, or just plain run into like 4 dudes at once and am just outnumbered.

38-4 and still only 3rd on my side and second in K/D for the game. The other side had a camper with 61-2. He had a 12 power scoped M40 (?) and I was using the Chinese QBU-88 with a 7x scope but it's a semi, me like.... It was 1000 ticket server so a lot of time and 24/7 Oman map.

post #321 of 407 Old 01-03-2012, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

I love the new maps, I just got my TV missile for the chopper, so I've been gunning a lot in recent days. The new maps saved this game for me, I hadn't played for a while because the old maps were just terrible, other than a select few. I'd love to see Harvest day in a new map pack!

post #322 of 407 Old 01-08-2012, 02:15 PM
Advanced Member

Hey guys...put in an app to join the AVS Platoon. Do you guys use vent to chat or origin?

facebook.com/craiglevere
post #323 of 407 Old 01-08-2012, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

MW3 players will hate this...

post #324 of 407 Old 01-09-2012, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
is it worth buying BF3 for Xbox to make sure you like the MP gameplay before shelling out $1000 on a new pc rig? (thinking i5-2400, new mobo, GTX 570, new PS, 8GB, etc...) i'd have to start from scratch.

just would hate to have buyer's remorse and i've heard mixed reviews from gaming companions i trust. unfortunately, i don't know anybody local that i can see the PC version in person.

"the one who has the most fun wins."
post #325 of 407 Old 01-09-2012, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The person I mentioned before that had 61-2 K/D. I played with him on others servers with him being like 80plus and 1-2 K/D. Everybody is accusing him of "bot'ing". He seems to get real quick shots off with his M40 (bolt action sniper rifle) without a bipod and just astraight bolt, I mean real quick snap one shot, one kill. He goes by something like [EDC]AphaRecEcho or ReconAlphaEcho or something very sim to that. PB is not picking him up tho. He kept snipimg me from a roof top even when I spawn and hide in cover, but I got him with one of those remote flying bots...he didn't even notice it was there since he was too busy scanning and bot'ing, he couldn't shoot thru the huge rock I was hiding behind .

post #326 of 407 Old 01-10-2012, 02:32 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by billymac View Post

is it worth buying BF3 for Xbox to make sure you like the MP gameplay before shelling out $1000 on a new pc rig? (thinking i5-2400, new mobo, GTX 570, new PS, 8GB, etc...) i'd have to start from scratch.

just would hate to have buyer's remorse and i've heard mixed reviews from gaming companions i trust. unfortunately, i don't know anybody local that i can see the PC version in person.

You could try search for some good youtube bf3 gameplay videos.
post #327 of 407 Old 01-10-2012, 06:55 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by billymac View Post

I wouldnt base a whole PC purchase just for one game. I mean the game is good but its not mindblowing. Though Dice has somewat redeemed themselves with the Back to Karkland map pack..if it werent for that I would have totally written the game off. I went in with too high of expectations being that I have followed the battlefield series since bf 1942 launch. I am use to huge vehicle,air,infantry and sea battles..not as much of that anymore.

PSN:The_Wise_Guy
XBL:DirtySanWiseGuy
Steam:The_Wise_Guy
BF4 PC:The_Wise_Guy

post #328 of 407 Old 01-10-2012, 09:43 AM

I have a friend that didn't want to play BF3 on the ps3 so he invested 2k fit the game. This game is intended to play as a team.

If anyone is interested in joining a clan of mature players developing 32 man teams check out armoredfist.net and tell them Zep sent ya.
post #329 of 407 Old 01-11-2012, 02:21 AM
Advanced Member

Holy smokes...upgraded my psu, oc'd my processor, put in a new cpu fan, and added another graphics card to my rig and I'm getting around 90fps...however...why is there no setting in the video settings for the monitor size to be 1920x1080 120Hz? The highest it goes is 1920x180 60Hz...and my monitor is a 120Hz monitor.

facebook.com/craiglevere
post #330 of 407 Old 01-11-2012, 10:40 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Would love to hear more specifics on the components you added/upgraded especially the cpu and graphics card.

Thx,

tum
Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page