Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 10-17-2011, 01:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Hey guys,

Sorry but I have to get some feedback from other experienced PC gamers.

So I go to upgrade my radeon 4890 and to my shock I discover that each of the current gen cards have one issue or another to deal with.

First... I try an EVGA 2GB 560 only to find it has a Full Range RGB bug in the drivers that do not allow the card to send 0-255 when multiple 'duplicate' displays are used and one passes through an AVR. My 4890 does this perfectly without issue. I tried the tweak that some claim can fix this but nothing worked.

Second... I try an XFX 2GB 6850 (I know not as powerful but it was just an attempt to see if it would work before grabbing a 6950). The 6850 has screen tearing on any non-preferred display. Again my 4890 does this with no issues.

Third card... I try the MSI 2GB 6950 in the hope that the tearing is specific to the chipset on the 68xx series, well not only does the 6950 tear on any non-preferred display but it also suffers from a core clock bug when running multiple duplicate displays that locks the core at 500mhz top speed for not just 2D but 3D. No such issues with the 4890.

I know somebody is going to come in and say, ok so why not just keep the 4890 if it works so well. I think most know this is a really fast card but it is showing its age when compared to the better current gen cards (the 6950 honestly smoked it and looked better doing it).

I had a Zotac 3 GB GTX 580 in my hand but placed it back on the shelf due to fear of the same full range rgb driver bug (not knowing if this would be specific to the 560 chipset since it's claimed to be in the drivers).

All I wish to do is have a current gen card with solid 1080p DX11 performance that can run duplicate displays through an AVR with no issues. I considered adding an HDMI 1x2 (1 in - 2 out) that would allow me to use a single preferred display out from the card but then I think the card will still sense the EDID info from the AVR/HDtv and have me right back dealing with the same issues.

I am just amazed that a 3 year old card gets everything right and these current gen cards that are even more designed for multi display use have deal breaking issues for people that wish to actually use more that one display at a time.

Any other personal experience with these issues would be truly appreciated, especially if somebody found a way around it.

Thank You,
Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-17-2011, 02:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 93
For your secondary screen tearing issue on ATI: How are you hooked up to each display? Is is HDMI/DVI to both panels, or are you using DisplayPort in there somewhere?
post #3 of 9 Old 10-17-2011, 05:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I don't have any abnormal screen tearing on my 2nd monitor (my TV, through an AVR) using my 2GB 6950.

PSN - Mr_Frisch
XBL - Mr Frisch
Steam - Sneaky Pete
post #4 of 9 Old 10-17-2011, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

For the screen tearing issue with both the Radeon 6850 and the 6950 I had the HDMI out from the card connected through the AVR to the HDtv and the main DVI out connected to my 24" pc monitor which is HDMI (so a DVI to HDMI cable is in use). I tried the other DVI out and it did the same thing, tearing on any display that was not set as the preferred display.

pjb16, what brand of 6950 are you using?

Thanks for the responses,
Jason
post #5 of 9 Old 10-17-2011, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

For the screen tearing issue with both the Radeon 6850 and the 6950 I had the HDMI out from the card connected through the AVR to the HDtv and the main DVI out connected to my 24" pc monitor which is HDMI (so a DVI to HDMI cable is in use). I tried the other DVI out and it did the same thing, tearing on any display that was not set as the preferred display.

pjb16, what brand of 6950 are you using?

Thanks for the responses,
Jason

I have mine setup as you did (dvi to monitor, hdmi to AVR), and my brand 6950 is MSI.

PSN - Mr_Frisch
XBL - Mr Frisch
Steam - Sneaky Pete
post #6 of 9 Old 10-17-2011, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Dang, same brand that I tried (MSI, mine was the TF II) and connected the same as well. This is very odd, I know it's not the rest of the gear since the 4890 does everything perfect plus there are reports of these issues across the net (and the Nvidia didn't tear).

Thanks pjb, I appreciate it.

Jason
post #7 of 9 Old 10-17-2011, 10:28 PM

Liked: 93
I know ATI 6850/6870 and newer cards have a tearing issue when DVI/HDMI and DP are used at the same time. In my 3x 24" setup, the DP-to-DVI monitor has a tear that slowly cycles it's way up the screen. It's a product of slightly different timings, where the DP port runs a perfect 60hz, and the DVI/HDMI ports run at 59.XXXhz. Under strictly DVI/HDMI, there should be no such issue rooted in the card itself.

So, in an effort to fix a tearing issue related to two DVI ports being used, I would look at the your refresh options. If I were to guess, I'd say that the receiver is reporting 59.XXXhz support, and reporting 60hz as not supported, regardless of what the TV actually supports. The monitor I'm guessing is reporting 60hz compatability, and possibly 59.XXXhz. So, receiver at 59hz and monitor at 60hz, the card does the best it can and tears one of the outputs.

Hunt down an 59hz option for both outputs.
post #8 of 9 Old 10-18-2011, 02:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Yeah I had already tried the refresh rate, nothing changed, but thank you for the input I truly appreciate it.

Jason
post #9 of 9 Old 10-18-2011, 05:02 AM
AVS Special Member

I should mention I don't use a "duplicate" display for my TV, but rather an "extended." I'm not sure how much that plays a factor into what you're seeing. Now that you mention it (well really DarkLordJames brings it up), I think I may have had it set up as "duplicate" when I first built my PC. I played the Witcher 2 and I got the slowly cycling tear that DLJ mentions. I haven't tried the game since switching to extended, so I don't know if it still does it, but for a number of months now (since July at least) I've been using extended with no issues. I do know that Witcher 2 was the only thing that had anything close to tearing on one monitor and not the other (but really that was before I knew what v-sync even was, and I don't recall playing just on the monitor so I don't know if it had tearing there too).

PSN - Mr_Frisch
XBL - Mr Frisch
Steam - Sneaky Pete
Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page