Tribes: Ascend beta- Take flight and ski! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 12-09-2011, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Got in on the beta, I almost forgot how much fun Tribes was.

Because I'm such a nice guy:

VPC36-2CA4D-6EDC4-70CB4-1D993

Enjoy!

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-09-2011, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 35
Oh man did I love Starsiege: Tribes back in the day. I am 38 years old now, and to me this was my favorite era of PC gaming back in the late 90's. This game was revolutionary back then. Nailing someone in the sky with a disk, or timing the disk to hit the ground where an enemy landed after his jet pack burned out took skill, and sometimes luck. Tons of people playing, flying everywhere. I played the crap out of it and mastered the light class. I could stay in the air for a long time. This was back in the phone modem days, too! The only guys that could take me down where the ones that had lan connections to the server and could do some damage with the chain gun, which was useless with 56K modem lol. Oh many many long nights with this one.
post #3 of 11 Old 12-09-2011, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

This is pretty equivalent to the first Tribes games (except with the micro-transaction stuff). It is free to play though, and worth a shot. If you liked the first game I suggest you sign up for the beta, it's lots of fun.

post #4 of 11 Old 12-09-2011, 11:32 AM

Liked: 18
I really like this game there are some changes which is good, new tactics etc... I do not like the leveling up garbage but now days that even comes in games you pay for like BF3. Anyhow ever since I received a beta key I have not been playing much BF3. I am not as old as some but I agree the late 90s early 00s where the best time gaming ever saw and perhaps ever will see. This game has alot of improvements to make it easier for new players old things that were scripts are now just binds.

Make sure you bind the Jump/Jet key instead of doing them separate and the ski/jump key.
post #5 of 11 Old 12-09-2011, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I've got some beta keys if anyone would like one.

I don't like the leveling scheme and it seems like it's too easy to ski.
I miss the plasma gun the most.

I agree..the mid-90's was the golden age, doubt we'll see that again.

XBL: BigMikeRich
PSN: BigMikeRich
post #6 of 11 Old 12-10-2011, 03:27 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
This looks really good, somehow doesn't quite seem as sophisticated as Tribes 2, which is what i played. The environments look too flat and small, maybe its the greater view distance in the new game, but i remember the snow maps in T2 having huge mountains and "sub-bases" in the center of the maps [that you could destroy] The disc shooting weapon just looks bulky. The green explosion and smoke effect from the heavy's grenade launcher is underwhelming visually. I'm also hearing that generators are no longer vital to the base, thus defending or attacking them has less impact. One of the things i liked doing was using the Predator-like cloaking function and sneaking around into the base and destroying the generators.
post #7 of 11 Old 12-10-2011, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

It doesn't seem as "sophisticated" as T2 because it's pretty much a clone of the first game with leveling and a few other additions. I think they're doing a pretty good job with it so far.

post #8 of 11 Old 12-10-2011, 09:57 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 35
Yeah I agree with Dave. The first tribes had a pure simplicity to it. Tribes 2 was way way too technical. I hope this new one sticks to the basic recipe.
post #9 of 11 Old 12-11-2011, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Personally I'm not a big fan of micro-transactions and will probably never play any game where you have to pay for something you can't get by playing for it. (At least if it's a necessity in the game, not something dumb like a costume)

post #10 of 11 Old 12-12-2011, 12:55 AM

Liked: 18
If you play on intro server just running the flag is fine, you can ignore everything, but as you level up and get to play with better players who have more classes unlocked then the generators become more important. There are mines, claymores, mini turrets and shields which all get placed around the flag. You wont see much of that with people playing on their first day. In better matches there are more flag stand offs and that leads to longer matches which leads to more credits. So eventually the base equipment is fully upgraded and strikes and vehicles start coming into play. At that time knocking out the generators becomes much more useful.

BTW the technicians turret is more consistent, if you go near it, it hits you all the time. The main base turrets much like in T2 are kinda whack where they only get you if you stand still or move very strait. I still see alot of people not bothering to fix them.
post #11 of 11 Old 12-12-2011, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwing View Post

Yeah I agree with Dave. The first tribes had a pure simplicity to it. Tribes 2 was way way too technical. I hope this new one sticks to the basic recipe.

What was so technical about Tribes 2 vs. 1? Keep in mind i never played 1. Are you saying all you did in Tribes 1 was run around a shoot at each other? Or was there more? I loved 2, i thought it was very polished and had a "soul", so to say. Even the main menu had this hum noise, like a machine operating deep within a structure that was very cool. I noticed there were full Tribes 2 servers awhile ago and i think the reason for it (Tribes 1 aside), was the variety and sophistication, which to me are more realistic and you can always go back to the run-and-gun play.
-------------------

@PubFiction: Thanks, thats good to hear. Does knocking out the generators have any other effects?
Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page