post #31 of 38 Old 07-03-2012, 08:04 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by number1laing View Post

Yea, that will work too, though you need to plug it into a USB port for power and mic purposes.
I just have mine mixamp plugged into my USB port and it works fine, though my motherboard does have optical and coaxial outputs.
I assume Hawkwing wants to try surround now. Otherwise there doesn't seem to be any point in getting a Mixamp.

To get surround sound from the Mixamp you have to feed it a surround signal. That means you need Dolby Digital Live and there are very few motherboards that offer that for onboard sound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 Old 07-03-2012, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by sync View Post

I assume Hawkwing wants to try surround now. Otherwise there doesn't seem to be any point in getting a Mixamp.
To get surround sound from the Mixamp you have to feed it a surround signal. That means you need Dolby Digital Live and there are very few motherboards that offer that for onboard sound.

Yeah I think I might try out the surround. Too many guys swear by it on the Head-Fi forum. Unfortunately, I don't have a Dolby Headphone receiver, or a Yamaha with that "Silent Cinema", so I need some type of mixamp box. My next receiver will definitely have Dolby Headphone DSP, as that would be really convenient. http://www.dolby.com/us/en/consumer/technology/home-theater/dolby-headphone.html

The Astro Mixamp is kind of a Dolby Headphone DSP in a small box. Its cool because you can use any headphone/headset with it. Guess I will be stuck with plain old stereo if I am to do any late night gaming on my PC, because my HTPC doesn't have optical or coaxial out. But the mixamp will be good for the consoles. http://www.astrogaming.com/mixamp-usb

I am a total noob about this stuff. Thanks for all the info. I am really curios about these surround sound headphone/headsets. I am willing to pay a little more for the Mixamp setup just to see what all the fuss is about, even though I will hardly ever use them. Information overload on the Head-Fi.org site. Thanks for the link N8DOGG.
post #33 of 38 Old 07-03-2012, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member

I'm PC only and don't want to install a sound card just for Dolby Headphone. I was going to get a USB headset but after reading and posting at headfi I went with an Asus Xonar U3 and a set of headphones that are supposed to be good for surround (Audio Technica AD700). The U3 is a USB sound card with Dolby Headphone.
post #34 of 38 Old 07-04-2012, 11:45 AM

Liked: 11
Audio Technica M50 Great headphones and in your price range..
post #35 of 38 Old 07-04-2012, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Glad it worked out sync. This thread actually was helpful to me too. As I mentioned I just had my Mixamp (along with the Astro A40 headset) plugged in through USB. But I wasn't getting surround. So I plugged in an optical cable (through my motherboard) and activated Dolby Digital surround in the sound properties - wow, it makes a huge difference in BF3.

The newer mixamps can do 7.1 but this one is just 5.1.
post #36 of 38 Old 07-04-2012, 07:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by talon_3 View Post

Audio Technica M50 Great headphones and in your price range..
Have you used them for surround? According to this post at headfi thosearen't good for surround.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-6-10-2012-ultrasone-pro-2900-added-many-edits
post #37 of 38 Old 07-08-2012, 02:50 PM
Advanced Member

Apparently the ultimate in headphone surround is a product call the Smyth Realiser. Its very expensive at $3K and totally overkill for gaming. But owners say it is like listening to speakers.
post #38 of 38 Old 07-26-2012, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 325
I've been rocking the Razer Tiamat 7.1 for the lest few weeks and have to say, they are quite good. It took a while to get them set just right but after tweaking my settings and EQ, I've got them dialed in and and very happy with them. Super comfortable too.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page