Gaming Surround Headphones - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 38 Old 12-30-2011, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I got a pair of Sony DR-GA500's for christmas and have been playing around with them. The processor that comes with the headphones requires a bulky cable and cant use digital out. I'm not quite sold on the Effects it produces either and was wondering if there are other processors out there I could use that would accept digital input/output?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 01-03-2012, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

After much searching and reading (still have a long ways to go) it seems that Surround sound in a headset/headphones is basically just gimmicky and you can actually get pretty decent positional audio just using stereo.

Also after playing with my headset I found that I always have way better positional audio when I turn the effects processor to OFF (rather than Surround or FPS). Surround and FPS basically just add a weird echo and make things almost impossible to accurately pinpoint. I am still using the 7.1 setting (both in windows and on the included sound processor box).

I am intrigued by the Astro Mixamp but wonder if its any better. Not sure what everyone else uses... I was actually expecting alot of replies to this thread about what to use to get good quality positional audio from a set of headphones. I also read that Dolby Headphone tech works pretty well though I dont think my soundcard uses it
post #3 of 38 Old 01-03-2012, 03:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Heh- look at what I'm getting:

Sony MDR-DS7500

Importing from Japan.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #4 of 38 Old 01-03-2012, 03:11 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked: 812
I use Logitech G930's. They are usb based and I really bought these out of convenience. I wanted wireless surround and they sure deliver! The surround effect is very convincing and has saved me plenty of times. Countless times. The sound quality is ok. I've heard better but for strictly gaming, I would recommend them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- direct pod link

- main website

post #5 of 38 Old 01-03-2012, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 298
I dunno, I really like my Roccat Kave 5.1 headphones. I like them better than any of the other 20 or so sets I've had and still do have.
My current favs are Roccat Kaves (gaming), Ultrasone HFI 780 and Senn HD 650 (music)
along with the new Asus Xonar Essence One for the DAC duties when not using the Forte soundcard.

I'd recommend the kaves to anyone. They are great for games.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #6 of 38 Old 01-03-2012, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

corsair Vengeance 1500 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the best i have tried, love them. even on my movies (htpc) they are awesome..

the bass is second to none, no gimmick here....just perfection..!!!
post #7 of 38 Old 01-13-2012, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

have had the 1500 for about a week or more. cant say enough about them.

i love that they lay flat when not in use..( i know its stupid but looks nice)

the in line volume is right at the perfect spot

they feel wonderful, not to snug. they cover my entire ear

for games WOW. batman is insane. great surround sounds. extremely precise.

movies are very loud, but never overwhelming...

only one complaint. no clip for the inline volume. made one myself because it bothered me with them just hanging there. but thats it...
post #8 of 38 Old 01-13-2012, 11:47 AM

Liked: 10
I really like my Astro Mixamp. I feed it via an Auzentech HTHD's optical SPDIF. The biggest benefit, in my eyes, is the microphone input being decoupled from the rest of the system's power supply and outside of the EMI radius of the CPU+GPU.

I don't like the idea of headphones that have onboard DSPs for some reason. Doesn't seem right to me.
post #9 of 38 Old 01-16-2012, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I really like the actual headphones (Sony DR-GA200's technically). They are light and I really like the open design... can wear them for hours without issue.

I think I'm gonna go with an Asus Xonar DG for like $25 for the Dolby Headphone and the Headphone amp. Sounds like its a good combo and hard to beat for the price
post #10 of 38 Old 01-25-2012, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just an update... I went ahead and grabbed the Xonar DG. Definite improvement over onboard audio and I'm really liking it
post #11 of 38 Old 06-23-2012, 12:41 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditch-digger View Post

corsair Vengeance 1500 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the best i have tried, love them. even on my movies (htpc) they are awesome..

the bass is second to none, no gimmick here....just perfection..!!!
Do you still like this? I'm thinking of getting one.
post #12 of 38 Old 06-23-2012, 12:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaishi View Post

I really like my Astro Mixamp. I feed it via an Auzentech HTHD's optical SPDIF. The biggest benefit, in my eyes, is the microphone input being decoupled from the rest of the system's power supply and outside of the EMI radius of the CPU+GPU.

I don't like the idea of headphones that have onboard DSPs for some reason. Doesn't seem right to me.
Does the Mixamp produce surround sound with any headphones?
post #13 of 38 Old 06-27-2012, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Yes. There's a big thread about headphones in the Xbox 360 section - I recommend going there. The people there know everything about gaming headphones.
post #14 of 38 Old 06-27-2012, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by number1laing View Post

Yes. There's a big thread about headphones in the Xbox 360 section - I recommend going there. The people there know everything about gaming headphones.
Is the xbox forum a good place for talking about PC-only headphones?
post #15 of 38 Old 06-27-2012, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sync View Post

Is the xbox forum a good place for talking about PC-only headphones?

You should go read some of the posts on there, it's actually quite funny that anyone would take the advise of some of the clowns on there. Gaming headphones are the exact same as any other headphones, the faster people realize this, the better off they will be when buying a set. Buy a clip on mic and done.

post #16 of 38 Old 06-27-2012, 04:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post

Gaming headphones are the exact same as any other headphones, the faster people realize this, the better off they will be when buying a set. Buy a clip on mic and done.
Gaming headphones that require a USB input aren't the same as regular cans. There are only a few of those though.

Even if one goes your route there is still the issue of getting a Dolby Headphone (or some equivalent) processor for the surround sound..
post #17 of 38 Old 06-27-2012, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Gaming headphones that require a USB input aren't the same as regular cans. There are only a few of those though.
Even if one goes your route there is still the issue of getting a Dolby Headphone (or some equivalent) processor for the surround sound..

What you don't have any software for your onboard or soundcard? There are very few that actually have a built in processor and to be honest, the wireless logitech's and the ones like that that do, are not something I'd want. The USB is usually just for power, nothing more. And the ones that only run on usb.. well I can't think of any but I'm sure there are some.

post #18 of 38 Old 06-28-2012, 06:22 AM
Advanced Member

I think a manufacturer has to pay to use Dolby Headphone. So it isn't usually found in drivers for onboard sound. It isn't in mine.

I don't want to use up a card slot just to get Dolby Headphone. I could get a USB sound card like the Asus U3. But it is hard to do that when the sound quality isn't as good as an Asus Xonar DG. None of the better quality USB sound cards seem to have Dolby Headphone.

So I may break down and get an Asus Xonar DG.
post #19 of 38 Old 06-28-2012, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

The Mixamp is what does the Dolby Headphone processing. Use a USB port to hook up the mixamp and it powers the mixamp and activates the mic.
post #20 of 38 Old 06-28-2012, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by number1laing View Post

The Mixamp is what does the Dolby Headphone processing. Use a USB port to hook up the mixamp and it powers the mixamp and activates the mic.
I thought of getting one until I realized you still need a sound card to use with it. For me there is no point in getting a Mixamp when I can get a $25 sound card that has Dolby Headphone capability.
post #21 of 38 Old 06-28-2012, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

I just mean that there are other ways of getting surround sound on the headphones other than dolby. I have the new Asus Phoebus soundcard and I have to say, it's one hell of a turd. I sure hope they can fix the drivers.
That being said, the DG is one heck of a souncard for how cheap it is.

post #22 of 38 Old 06-28-2012, 07:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I just mean that there are other ways of getting surround sound on the headphones other than dolby.
I know there are surround processes like DirectSound3D. I think the game has to support them, as well as the sound card, and I get the impression that they aren't common these days.

I like the idea of HRTF (Head-Related Transfer Function) processors because they work with any game that outputs surround sound. The two mains ones seem to be Dolby Headphone and Creative's version. Today I found out about an interesting site called www.myears.net.au which says it can improve on the HRTF process by creating a custom profile.
post #23 of 38 Old 06-29-2012, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I know there are surround processes like DirectSound3D. I think the game has to support them, as well as the sound card, and I get the impression that they aren't common these days.
I like the idea of HRTF (Head-Related Transfer Function) processors because they work with any game that outputs surround sound. The two mains ones seem to be Dolby Headphone and Creative's version. Today I found out about an interesting site called www.myears.net.au which says it can improve on the HRTF process by creating a custom profile.

Hey thats kinda neat, I wonder how it would sound? at $20 it's almost worth it to try it out for fun.

post #24 of 38 Old 06-29-2012, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hey thats kinda neat, I wonder how it would sound? at $20 it's almost worth it to try it out for fun.
They have a 15 day trial.
post #25 of 38 Old 07-02-2012, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 35
Need some recommendations.
Alot of times, we have visitors at my house, and I will want to stay up late and do some gaming on my home theater. I have a kick ass setup, but cannot use it when company is sleeping in the next room. I don't need any USB headphones or a microphone, just the ones that hook up to the ordinary headphone jack on my Onkyo receiver. My Xbox, PS3, and PC are hooked up via HDMI to this receiver. Any recommendations? Can go wired or wireless. Don't want to spend crazy money. Might go a little more than $100.

These have 2,622 reviews with a good rating:
http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-RS120-Over-Ear-Wireless-Headphones/dp/B0001FTVEK/ref=sr_1_7?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1341259674&sr=1-7&keywords=headphones
post #26 of 38 Old 07-02-2012, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwing View Post

Need some recommendations.
Alot of times, we have visitors at my house, and I will want to stay up late and do some gaming on my home theater. I have a kick ass setup, but cannot use it when company is sleeping in the next room. I don't need any USB headphones or a microphone, just the ones that hook up to the ordinary headphone jack on my Onkyo receiver. My Xbox, PS3, and PC are hooked up via HDMI to this receiver. Any recommendations? Can go wired or wireless. Don't want to spend crazy money. Might go a little more than $100.
These have 2,622 reviews with a good rating:
http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-RS120-Over-Ear-Wireless-Headphones/dp/B0001FTVEK/ref=sr_1_7?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1341259674&sr=1-7&keywords=headphones
Are you wanting surround sound?
post #27 of 38 Old 07-02-2012, 03:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Are you wanting surround sound?

As stated above, I thought surround sound with headphones was considered "gimmicky". And don't those need some type of sound processor for the surround? I just want to use the headphone jack off of my Onkyo receiver.
post #28 of 38 Old 07-02-2012, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Go check out www.head-fi.org/ There TONS of info on headphone and price ranges. Generally the better surround sound phones are analog, they use the 3 x 3.5 mm jacks on your mobo or soundcard. I just got my Razer Tiamats 7.1's on friday and I have to be honest, they are pretty decent as far as surround phones go. they suck with music but are great for BF3

post #29 of 38 Old 07-02-2012, 11:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I thought of getting one until I realized you still need a sound card to use with it. For me there is no point in getting a Mixamp when I can get a $25 sound card that has Dolby Headphone capability.

I don't think you actually need a soundcard. An optical out (TOSlink) from your motherboard should work, too. 2 of the 3 pc's I own have an optical out from the motherboard (no soundcards installed on any of my pc's). You might want to grab a flashlight and look on the back of your PC. I am thinking I may go the Astro Mixamp route myself...
post #30 of 38 Old 07-03-2012, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwing View Post

I don't think you actually need a soundcard. An optical out (TOSlink) from your motherboard should work, too. 2 of the 3 pc's I own have an optical out from the motherboard (no soundcards installed on any of my pc's). You might want to grab a flashlight and look on the back of your PC. I am thinking I may go the Astro Mixamp route myself...

Yea, that will work too, though you need to plug it into a USB port for power and mic purposes.

I just have mine mixamp plugged into my USB port and it works fine, though my motherboard does have optical and coaxial outputs.
Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page