PC to receiver via HDMI. 5.1 in games? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-16-2012, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey everyone,

I've searched the web, but can't seem to find any answers specific to my situation. I see a lot of people talking about the best way to hook up their PC to a receiver, and how to get 5.1/7.1 audio for Blu-Ray movies, but what about games?

I have a 6950 video card, and an HDMI cable going from it to my Yamaha RX-V565 receiver. Sound properties in Control Panel confirm 8 channel capability with all the TrueHD and DTS-HD goodness. Using PowerDVD 11 and setting it up for bitstreaming, I've achieved TrueHD and DTS-HD audio from my Blu-Rays. So all of that works flawlessly.

Problem is, I only get 2 channel audio in games. I can set my receiver to Pro Logic II and it fakes it pretty well, but I want the real thing. A lot of people keep talking about Dolby Digital Live. My soundcard has it, but since I'm using the HDMI passthrough on my video card, I'm bypassing the sound card now...right? I'm a little confused...does DDL only work with S/PDIF?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

It's made with bits of real panther...so you know it's good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-16-2012, 06:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
As long as a game supports multiple PCM channels in Directsound it's you should be just fine. Almost all new games in the last few years support multiple channels (Arkham City, Skyrim, etc, etc).

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #3 of 8 Old 01-16-2012, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 60
You obviously have bit-stream configured correctly, but for games you want Windows and your graphics card's audio controller configured for multichannel output of audio mixed into PCM.

Go back to the sound section of Control Panel, select the audio device, click on "configure," and pick a 5.1 or 7.1 speaker arrangement. Also, set all speakers as full-range when asked.
post #4 of 8 Old 01-16-2012, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 148
In some games, you have to go into the options and turn it on. At least, I had to do that with Need For Speed Hot Pursuit. When I went into the options and selected 7.1, the sound difference was striking.
post #5 of 8 Old 01-17-2012, 02:44 AM

Liked: 18
Make sure you check games. Some valve games would have problems where they would just keep defaulting to a different audio setting. Be aware of that.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-17-2012, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

For the record, my receiver just shows 'PCM' though it is certainly outputting multi channel audio. I know that something has gone awry when the receiver shows 'Stereo' instead. This does happen on occasion, usually after powering back up from sleep if the PC turns on before the receiver or projector.

-Trouble
post #7 of 8 Old 01-17-2012, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 180
You shouldn't need DDL if your video card supports multichannel PCM through HDMI. As long as the HDMI receiver is set as the default device in Windows and it configured for 5.1 then the games should be automatically outputting multichannel surround if they support it.
post #8 of 8 Old 02-02-2012, 07:37 AM

New guy here, I'm intrested in setting up my pc to my HDTV, but both my reciever and PC are old tech, so for surround i have the mini audio jacks on the mobo, and no HDMI inputs on the reciever, only l/r, coax, and optical. (currently using optical for ps3).

Is there such a cable to go from my pc surround jacks to coax? I also have other questions about DVI - HDMI cables, since my video card is DVI only.
Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page