Logitech G13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 01-23-2012, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Interesting thing. Just picked up a slightly used one off eBay. I like that they update the definitions relatively quickly. Anyone else have one? How do you use the little "mouse stick" thing? Clearly you don't use it in place of a mouse, so I wonder just why it's there?

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-23-2012, 03:06 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 688 Post(s)
Liked: 906
I still want to get one of these for my laptop. I thought that joystick was to be used as a mouse? Or maybe as a joypad in-game. Hmm.

I know my Saitek X52pro has a little thing like that on the throttle and it even works on the Windows desktop.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #3 of 12 Old 01-23-2012, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

Interesting thing. Just picked up a slightly used one off eBay. I like that they update the definitions relatively quickly. Anyone else have one? How do you use the little "mouse stick" thing? Clearly you don't use it in place of a mouse, so I wonder just why it's there?

As far as I can tell (don't have one, but have nearly bought several times) it's meant to be used as a joystick. Either map your movement to it and have analog movement or map it like a hat switch for other functionality. The complaint I've read quite a bit (and one thing that's prevented me from buying, other than being wired) is that the knob on it is too small and thus gets uncomfortable quickly when using it for movement.
post #4 of 12 Old 01-23-2012, 03:58 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 688 Post(s)
Liked: 906
Yeah, I've been waiting out for a possible updated version and hopefully wireless. Maybe I should just buy it so that one will come out for sure.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #5 of 12 Old 01-23-2012, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: guarding my retirement igloo...with a McMillan TAC-50 long range sniper rifle
I had the G13 since it came out. I was using it for a while as poor mans "button box" for sim racing. I found the keys were just too small for that (since been replaced by a button wheel plate and dedicated boxes). There was forum dedicated to programing the G13. Some one made a patch that will allow the stick to act as joystick along as being a basic mouse. No idea what site that was since it's been long time since I looked into it. Google will prob find it.

These pics are real old, this sim racing rig has long been replaced.

ADD: I originally used it for a while for FPS. Just as WASD replacement, just like the other keypad (Nostromo) I tried I ended up back using a KB.

You do not stop playing because you get old...
You get old because you stop playing.
post #6 of 12 Old 01-23-2012, 05:17 PM

I have one. I bought it for xmas 2010, and barely use it.

By default, the thumbstick maps to WASD. So in a FPS or third person game that usually would use WASD for movement, you can use the thumbstick. I like it for third-person games like GTA on the PC - games that were natively made to support a dual-thumbstick console controller to use one stick for movement and the other for aiming translate well, as you use the mouse for look and thumbstick for movement.

It's got macros as well, which has the potential to be really cool. It's one of those things that I really should take the time to set up, but haven't (although I don't have much of an excuse now that I've had it over a year)
post #7 of 12 Old 01-24-2012, 05:24 AM

I have one and i love it. Its really great for MMOs. I'm currently using it to play SWTOR and I also use it for shooters like TF2. The joystick is used for movement. You can bind the joystick to any key on your keyboard, so it doesnt have to be used just for movement.
post #8 of 12 Old 01-24-2012, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I assume it goes on the left side so you can use your left hand with the WASD keys?

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #9 of 12 Old 01-24-2012, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I picked one up for a decent price off craigslist a few months ago. I haven't used it much, but not being much of a PC gamer before my current build, I struggled with using keyboard controls on games that weren't made for a controller. The joystick on the G13 was a nice alternative to the WASD buttons, plus I liked being able to map commands to all the other buttons I wanted as well.

I'm sure if I played MMOs I'd like it even more.

PSN - Mr_Frisch
XBL - Mr Frisch
Steam - Sneaky Pete
post #10 of 12 Old 01-24-2012, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

I had something similar years ago though I don't remember what it was called. Seemed like a great idea at the time but turned out to be useless to me. I think for things like that racing sim rig or flight sim rig or whatnot it would be very cool but for generic desktop use, I never got the hang of it.
-Trouble
post #11 of 12 Old 01-24-2012, 01:46 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
I had a similar one from Saitek. I used it when my gaming pc was in my apartment living room hooked up to my plasma. It worked great as I could have a mouse on side and Saitek device on the other. I have since moved on though and bought a place where I have a computer room. So i believe its in a box collecting dust last 3 years lol.

PSN:The_Wise_Guy
XBL:DirtySanWiseGuy
Steam:The_Wise_Guy
BF4 PC:The_Wise_Guy

post #12 of 12 Old 01-25-2012, 12:29 PM

I've had one for months now. I use it for gaming (left hand) and my G15 Rev 2 stays in the middle for normal keyboarding, while my G9 mouse is on the right. I definitely like the matching G-series products.

All WASD and left-hand options are employed by the G13 with the exception of the Joystick, which I had to disable due to uncontrollable spinning in titles like Dead Space 1/2.

Using the G13 has allowed a more ergonomic approach to gaming, allowing me to spread out my arms and hands to be more comfortable and sit more 'naturally'.

Here's a shot of what I'm working with...

Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page