Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post

Na...driver quality runs deep....

Same difference if you're buying Green

It seems a long ways away from the days of the 9800 Pro.....which was my last ATI board...

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 Old 01-28-2012, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: guarding my retirement igloo...with a McMillan TAC-50 long range sniper rifle
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRusch View Post

Same difference if you're buying Green

It seems a long ways away from the days of the 9800 Pro.....which was my last ATI board...

It does not matter to me if it's green or red, as long as the driver support is good. It use to be good when red was ATi (and Canadian ) with their real deal monthly driver releases, not the "bug patche"s (rather then a true update) they are doing now. Then when they started to skid when they try to match Nvidia SLI. Then they where bought out by AMD and skidding hasn't stopped, but got worst IMO. Like you the last red card that I was 100% sat with was the 9800pro/platinum cards.

ADD: I used every series of the Red cards (clients requested) and finally stopped at the 5xxx series. Enuf was enuf. At the same time I used all the corresponding Nvidia cards right up to the 2xx series when I switched to the 5870s for Eyefinity, btw which I don't used now but uses Nvidia Surround instead. What a waste of time.

You do not stop playing because you get old...
You get old because you stop playing.
post #33 of 41 Old 01-29-2012, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:

I'm not sure Nvidia has the ability to deal that kind of death blow....many times before have we been FAILED by specs before production boards ship only to find this gotcha, or that problem. And Nvidia isn't going to sell a $500 board for $300, they know they don't have to, they'll still sell boards.....brand loyalty runs deep.

We'll see. But, based on information from third-party sources, this time Nvidia apparently has samples running fine and performing quite well. They could very well "sell a $500 board for $300" if they have even more powerful GPUs imminently planned to actually sell at around $400 and $500 or more (like the GK110).

Brand loyalty does run deep, but they undoubtedly want to capture as many brand-agnostic buyers as possible. If they really do have products that handily beats the competition, I think now is the time for Nvidia to be really aggressive in pricing and undercut AMD for a while.
post #34 of 41 Old 02-01-2012, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

There's an interesting new article at SemiAccurate about Kepler.

http://semiaccurate.com/2012/02/01/p...lergk104-fast/

It seems that the mid-range GK104 might outperform the 7970 by a decent margin in games that are coded to tailor towards the Kepler architecture, which applies to the usual games that utilize GPU PhysX and have had Nvidia's significant involvement in the coding process. Games that do not have this kind of favorable treatment should have the GK104 performing less than or about on the level of AMD's similarly priced mid-range card.

It looks like the typical borderline shady practices by Nvidia. I just hope they continue this kind of involvement with the biggest games that could use a real performance optimization with CUDA-based features.
post #35 of 41 Old 02-01-2012, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
I have no brand loyalty. I buy whatever gives me the best bang for my buck. I have supported both parties throughout the years.

PSN:The_Wise_Guy
XBL:DirtySanWiseGuy
Steam:The_Wise_Guy
BF4 PC:The_Wise_Guy

post #36 of 41 Old 02-02-2012, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Some more info was posted about Kepler's lineup. Keep in mind that it might be total BS.

http://lenzfire.com/2012/02/entire-n...se-date-43823/

If true, the 680 looks like a real beast while the 660ti would be a great value.

The thing about those specs is that AMD would have a leg up on frame-buffer size. People with multi-monitor setups can use lots of video memory.
post #37 of 41 Old 02-02-2012, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Crud.....April? I'll be in for a 680........

Not concerned with Framebuffer size, really, I only need to drive 1080p. More concerned that monitor companies aren't stepping up with No-Bezel Monitors or creating native 2 to 3 panel displays so you don't have to deal with bezels to begin with, actually. As good as multi-monitor gaming is touted to be (I tried a 3 monitor setup at Comic Con and, frankly, hated it..too much money for too little benefit on the side monitors) I'm surprised gamers are not screaming about having 1-2 inch gaps in their FOV.....

Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #38 of 41 Old 02-02-2012, 03:31 PM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 738
Prolly because they ARE SO COOLLL!!!

"LOOK DEWD, I'VE GOT NOT ONE BUT THREE MONITORSS!!!!!"

You're not a real nerd until you've got a multi-monitor set up. *yawn*

I'm still waiting for someone with balls to buy a really long screen from SeymourAV and use triple projectors for the best effect. I guess it will have to be one day. Yup.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #39 of 41 Old 02-02-2012, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Crud.....April? I'll be in for a 680........

Not concerned with Framebuffer size, really, I only need to drive 1080p. More concerned that monitor companies aren't stepping up with No-Bezel Monitors or creating native 2 to 3 panel displays so you don't have to deal with bezels to begin with, actually. As good as multi-monitor gaming is touted to be (I tried a 3 monitor setup at Comic Con and, frankly, hated it..too much money for too little benefit on the side monitors) I'm surprised gamers are not screaming about having 1-2 inch gaps in their FOV.....

I'll still be using a single 1080p TV as well. I might go for a 670 if those specs hold up.

The 680 would be a whole lotta card for just 1080p. But, you could comfortably enable the depth of field filter in Metro 2033.
post #40 of 41 Old 02-02-2012, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 View Post

I'll still be using a single 1080p TV as well. I might go for a 670 if those specs hold up.

The 680 would be a whole lotta card for just 1080p. But, you could comfortably enable the depth of field filter in Metro 2033.

When I bought all my other video cards, mid-range ones...each new title I'd be like "ok lets see performance...ok...nope..no 8xaa...4x....ok....whoops it chugs in parts..2x...." etc. The 580 is the first card that is still giving me breathing room in nearly all games I've thrown at it......

Of course I'll keep an eye on performance in real world games first...no sense going from 120 to 180 frames or from 80 to 100......maybe I wont need that kind of upgrade in the short term...

i just like the idea of shopping

post #41 of 41 Old 02-02-2012, 10:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

Prolly because they ARE SO COOLLL!!!

"LOOK DEWD, I'VE GOT NOT ONE BUT THREE MONITORSS!!!!!"

You're not a real nerd until you've got a multi-monitor set up. *yawn*

I'm still waiting for someone with balls to buy a really long screen from SeymourAV and use triple projectors for the best effect. I guess it will have to be one day. Yup.

I use 4 as of right now. 3 for PC and 1 for console gaming/Tv.
Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page