PC Keyboard/mouse tray for recliner and 55" monitor? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 26 Old 01-28-2012, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I want to get a 55" LCD for my gaming PC and put it in my bedroom with a recliner, but there seems to be a problem with this.... there's apparently no good product available to help me use a keyboard and mouse in a recliner...

(Google Sketchup mockups of intended use. The room, door, and window dimensions are accurate, but models are closest-match examples. I'd likely get the Sony 55" KDL55HX729)

What I really want is a nice comfy living room style leather or microfiber recliner with CASTERS so I can move it around easily, and also have a KEYBOARD/MOUSE TRAY on it to play PC games and do actual (gasp) work using the computer.

Unfortunately no home furniture company anywhere produces recliners with casters as an option. Most of these salespeople are either confused, or laugh at the suggestion (for reasons unknown to me).

Meanwhile a search for recliners with casters and a tray, ends up taking me to the hospital wing of really hard, ugly furniture for the senile and nearly-dead:

Looking around the web I am not finding much of anything suitable for what I am trying to do, with a PC keyboard and mouse rigidly overhanging a standard living room recliner, in the reclined position.

Except for these people. But the $3000+ price tag for their special ergonomic hardware is a bit too much for my budget:
www.ergoquest.com

- Javik
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 01-28-2012, 07:14 PM

Liked: 18
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Butler-Pla...Table/14283671
not in your budget?

Try this
http://www.buy.com/pr/product.aspx?s...llerid=3046091

http://www.sears.com/standers-assist...SPM2606354702P

oh and if you are serious enough to game on a PC not a console. I would say you need to check out plasma or dlp.
post #3 of 26 Old 01-29-2012, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

I have already been looking these other ones over. They don't work for various reasons, and I'll go into detail what the problems are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PubFiction View Post

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Butler-Pla...Table/14283671
not in your budget?

Alas this is not suitable for the intended use.

1. Flat rigid surface, does not tilt or articulate. Sure it would possibly work sitting upright with a rigid posture but I want to lean back with my feet up in the reclining position.

2. Most likely cannot get the rolling base under the recliner. Most recliners are low to the floor with no room for sliding something like this underneath.

===================

Quote:

Try this
http://www.buy.com/pr/product.aspx?s...llerid=3046091

- Page says, Large not available
- Medium size is 18.5" wide

Ino-Products, Inc - Table Mate - Medium

Not wide enough ... need at least 26" / 66 cm width:
* Generic Dell keyboard is 17.5" / 44cm wide
* Mousepad for generic Dell mouse is 8.5" / 21.5cm wide

Though here is a source for the large one which would barely work, at 20x25 in. Note, there is a raised lip around the edge so that reduces the usable surface area:
http://www.amazon.com/Table-Multi-Fu...sr=1-1-catcorr

==================

Quote:

Standers - Assist-A-Tray

- Tray size 16" x 18"

Not wide enough. But I'm sending a request to the company see if they have any option for a wider tray, and tilting the tray

===============

This came up looking for the previous one. This looks interesting, though the tray can not be tilted downward to be more ergonomic when leaned back in the recliner. Once again assumes the user will be sitting upright, stiff backed.

Drive Medical - Lift Chair Table - Model No. 13085

===============

This one is also a common search result. It does have a tilting surface, but the tilting part is wide enough for a laptop only. The non-tilting flat surface would not be usable for the mouse:

HandStands - Windsor Laptop Stand

===============

Quote:

oh and if you are serious enough to game on a PC not a console. I would say you need to check out plasma or dlp.

I want:
* lowest input lag possible with a great picture, so that is the Sony HX729 (or the Sony HX929, which is too expensive for me)
* no burn-in since it will be running Win XP / Win 7 with the taskbar visible for more than 75% of its usage
* I've tried single-chip DLP's, and I can see the color wheel rainbow effect, so no good.
post #4 of 26 Old 01-29-2012, 01:42 PM

If you are going for wider and some items fit but are just too small, then you may think about buying one, unscrew the surface, and replace it with a larger surface to your liking. In fact if you get UMHW in the right size you would not need a separate mouse pad. I actually mouse on the arm of my couch. Not as good as my main PC but it these new mice are pretty forgiving.

As for the plasma, I run one with my HTPC (windows 7). There are various configuration options you can do in windows to get it setup. I have run it now with kids and everyone using it for 3 years with no burn in (started on Vista). Of course if you have 1 particular game you play all the time the HUD still may burn in. But if that was the case it would be possible to make a reverse image of the HUD and make it your background. I also tried various LCDs and none could cut it. Of course I have not seen every LCD out there.

Oh the other thing you might think about, is keyboard on your lap. I do that as well and it really is not a problem. Might even be more ergonomic. I had a friend who played really high level warcraft for years like that. Mouse on the desk keyboard on the lap.
post #5 of 26 Old 01-29-2012, 07:00 PM
tqn

You may also want to consider getting a keyboard with no numpad. That will save you a few inches in width and may give you enough room for the mouse...?
post #6 of 26 Old 01-30-2012, 05:42 AM

post #7 of 26 Old 01-30-2012, 08:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 26
Why is there a toilet (1st pic) in the middle of your living room?

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #8 of 26 Old 01-30-2012, 09:39 AM

I recently just built a PC and hooked it up in my bedroom. The way my room is set up is I have the bed facing the TV about 8 feet away, and planned on using this PC from my bed in a half sitting/laying position.

What I did was come up with a sort of unconventional solution. I used an Ergotron LX DeskMount LCD Arm (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824994063) secured to a nightstand (actually bought an additional cheap $50 dollar one from Ikea, didn't want to drill a hole through my current one as it is a bit nicer and this way now I have two so the additional storage is nice).

Here's the unconventional part, instead of mounting an LCD monitor to this thing, I mounted this keyboard tray: (http://www.avidergo.com/cart/product...&cat=27&page=1)

Obviously some light modding was necessary (had to drill new holes in the tray to get it lined up with the VESA mount of the LCD Arm.)

Now I have a swiveling keyboard/mouse stand that I can place at various heights depending on how I'm laying in bed. Only downside is its a permanent 5 degree or so tilt down towards me, but I actually prefer that.

Have yet to do any serious gaming with this setup (only got it up and running about a week ago), but the tray/LCD arm combo works well so far.

Xbox Live: OmniBeast
PSN and Steam: OmniBeast322
post #9 of 26 Old 01-30-2012, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

Why is there a toilet (1st pic) in the middle of your living room?

Oh, that white thing is just the least ugly recliner model I could find on Google SketchUp in the 3D Warehouse. (I wouldn't actually want the foot stool type of recliner.)

Besides I do not have the plumbing needed for the Idiocracy movie recliner-toilet.

And another problem is that I'm not sure a padded recliner is the best choice, because the padding gets very warm sitting on one all day.

Maybe there is some way that cool air could be blown into the back of the padding under pressure to keep the chair cool...
post #10 of 26 Old 01-31-2012, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter

Some money will need to be spent for testing different options. I just ordered these two:

* Mobo Chair Mount Ergo Keyboard and Mouse Tray System - 2.5-Inch x 12.5-Inch x 7.5-Inch - Black

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A2SF1YB89XSFCP

*Table Mate Multi-Functional Portable Adjustable Height Table - 20 x 25 Inches

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A22378Z03K0GID

I didn't buy this, but looks like an option to add a mouse platform for the narrow trays:

Kelly Computer Supply 10405 - Clamp On Mouse Platform, 7-3/4w x 8d x 1/2h, Black

http://www.amazon.com/Kelly-Computer...ref=pd_vtp_e_2

The general plan is to take the Ergo Keyboard and Table Mate to various furniture stores and see how they work with their on-display recliners, along with a keyboard and mouse to test the fit and usability.
post #11 of 26 Old 02-01-2012, 04:48 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
post #12 of 26 Old 02-01-2012, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkor View Post

Something like this maybe?

http://www.target.com/p/Techni-Mobil...page.adjacency

Techni Mobili - Mobile Laptop Cart - Steel - Graphite Black

Nope won't work, that is a different view of this one:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javik View Post

This one is also a common search result. It does have a tilting surface, but the tilting part is wide enough for a laptop only. The non-tilting flat surface would not be usable for the mouse:

HandStands - Windsor Laptop Stand

Also the caster foot won't fit underneath a recliner, which usually hugs the floor.
post #13 of 26 Old 02-01-2012, 08:09 AM

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-me...e=UTF8&index=3

Scroll to the third page and there is a customer image of the ergotron arm modded for keyboard tray usage.

Found someone else that did the exact same I did. This way all you'd have to do is have a table/stand next to your recliner (useful for storing miscellaneous things like controllers/headphones)

Swivels extremely easily, and you can get this thing placed right over your lap and adjust the height as necessary..

Xbox Live: OmniBeast
PSN and Steam: OmniBeast322
post #14 of 26 Old 02-01-2012, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
This looks pretty cool "Phantom Lapboard". http://www.phantom.net/products.html If I still gamed on my plasma, this would have been ideal. Unfortuntly nothing will pull me away from my triple monitor setup now. lol

PSN:The_Wise_Guy
XBL:DirtySanWiseGuy
Steam:The_Wise_Guy
BF4 PC:The_Wise_Guy

post #15 of 26 Old 02-02-2012, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Call me cheap but I would just buy a sheet of plywood from Lowes and cut it to whatever size/shape worked best. Maybe add a little padding to the bottom or something or use nicer wood if I cared about how it looked.
post #16 of 26 Old 02-10-2012, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

After looking it over, the Mobo won't work for a recliner. It is meant to be attached to an office chair using bolts to wrap around the arm rests.

Quote:

* Mobo Chair Mount Ergo Keyboard and Mouse Tray System - 2.5-Inch x 12.5-Inch x 7.5-Inch - Black

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A2SF1YB89XSFCP

post #17 of 26 Old 02-10-2012, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

The huge 20 in x 25 in TableMate overhanging chair-tray I bought, even though it is the biggest one available, still only works with certain recliners.

Many recliner models have a huge leg rest pad that spans the entire front of the chair, and that is too wide to get between the TableMate legs.

This is the one model that I found is big, soft, cushy, yet has a narrow enough leg cushion to get under the TableMate.

Mr. Pixelman, testing recliners with the Table Mate....

Ashley Furniture, Signature Recliner, model 5460125

This is a two-piece recliner, you can take the upright back part off to get it up narrow stairways and to reduce the moving weight, another feature I'm specifically looking for..

The arm cushions I am thinking are wide enough to have a mousepad on them, but I would still need this huge Table Mate to get it over the leg cushion. An optical mouse may work on the arm cushion without a pad, but could wear out the fabric in that spot over time.

The arm cushions also have hidden zippers along the inside edge, allowing the owner to add or remove the stuffing to change firmness, to fill in soft spots as the chair ages, or make the arms firmer with more padding.

Looks good, but I'm not ready to buy the recliner just yet.

The next bit is seeing if the TV can be movable so it can be raised near the ceiling pointing downwards, when leaned back in the recliner and the natural view is to be looking upwards at a 45 degree angle, above the usual TV location....
post #18 of 26 Old 02-17-2012, 03:03 PM

post #19 of 26 Old 03-13-2012, 09:35 AM

I've used this in the past:

http://www.amazon.com/HandStands-Lap...1656413&sr=8-3

It wasn't perfect, but it worked fairly well.
post #20 of 26 Old 03-31-2012, 12:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm using a Table mate II for my HTPC, I had to get a narrow keyboard so I had room to mouse. Cruzing amazon just now i see they have a wider Table Mate. Might give that a try.
post #21 of 26 Old 03-29-2013, 11:37 PM

I had this exact same problem for a long time when I first bought my recliner and put it in place of my office chair. I even remember googling and reading this post and not finding anything that looked practical either.

Anyways I just found the perfect solution for this, at least for me. All I needed was a $3 clipboard, and a few inches of double sided duct tape. I put the tape on the back of the clipboard, and put the clipboard on the leather armrest and it makes a perfect rigid surface for the mouse. As for the keyboard I just put that in my lap since it's kind of like a tray already.

Anyways a place to put the mouse was the real problem for me anyways. Hope this helps.
post #22 of 26 Old 04-08-2013, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member

This is what I use when I play my ps3.

Mikeclough24 likes this.
post #23 of 26 Old 04-08-2013, 11:36 AM

Please tell me there's a XIM in there somewhere.
post #24 of 26 Old 04-09-2013, 02:53 AM
Advanced Member

I use the eagle eye converter.
post #25 of 26 Old 12-20-2013, 11:25 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerkThunder View Post

Anyways I just found the perfect solution for this, at least for me. All I needed was a $3 clipboard, and a few inches of double sided duct tape. I put the tape on the back of the clipboard, and put the clipboard on the leather armrest and it makes a perfect rigid surface for the mouse.

I came to this thread looking for mouse pad options on a wide brushed leather recliner arm. Sometimes the simplest solutions are best. Happened to have a cheap clipboard - cut off the top, and sits very well on chair surface without needing tape. Thanks for posting! smile.gif
post #26 of 26 Old 12-21-2013, 04:59 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 35
Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page