Portal is NOT that good - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 Old 01-29-2012, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
tomfoolery_79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 701
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
PC Gamer just released an updated top 100 games of all time. Portal is number 1. Yes, you read that right, number 1. Are you kidding me? Does anyone else feel this game is super overrated?? Is it a great game, of course. It's got great gameplay and excellent and intriguing storyline, but number #1 of all time? No, no way.

I'm not hear to say ____ should have been number #1, but just that Portal shouldn't be.

Again, great game, but #1 of all time?!?

STEAM: Augcliffe
PSN: Augcliffe
tomfoolery_79 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 32 Old 01-29-2012, 02:06 PM
Advanced Member
 
Hawkwing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 565
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Hawkwing is offline  
post #3 of 32 Old 01-29-2012, 03:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
joeblow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 12,136
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 202
#1 will always be subjective; no one will ever agree. With that said, Portal is in my top 5 of my completely enjoyable PC gaming experiences of all time.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

joeblow is offline  
post #4 of 32 Old 01-29-2012, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Archaea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 6,229
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked: 763
I've played PC games since the late 1980's and had consoles back to the original single game pong console as well as Atari.

Portal doesn't even make it into my top 100 game list.

In fact I didn't even like it enough to finish it.

I never understood all the love for this game anyway.

I'll have to look over that list and see if I agree with any of it.

Games Like WarCraft 2, Diablo, Rise of the Triad, Super Mario Brothers, Pitfall, RiverRaid, Combat, Doom 2, Quake, Carmageddon, Super Mario Go Kart, Donky Kong Country, Guantlet, Stronghold, Super Off Road, Rampart, hexen, lemmings, Tomb Raider, Diablo 2, Starcraft, Gears of War, Halflife, CounterStrike, Call of Duty series, Command and Conquer, freedom force, return to krondor, lode runner, heck even Zuma is better/kept my attention longer than Portal. These off the top of my head in nothing flat...Portal wouldn't even be on my top 100 list I'm fairly sure.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
Archaea is offline  
post #5 of 32 Old 01-29-2012, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
N8DOGG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,786
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 318
portal would "maybe" be in my top 80 games. PC gamer is a bunch of tards anyways. that mag and site is complete balls as far as I'm concerned.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

N8DOGG is offline  
post #6 of 32 Old 01-29-2012, 08:53 PM
Senior Member
 
Trogdor2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 335
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
It was pretty much a cult game. I did like it (as well as Portal 2), although they are very easy and short games, most of the puzzles can be solved with a little observation. It's sense of humor what made it big for a lot of people, and of course the internet fans ruined the game for a lot of people (Cake Anyone?)
Trogdor2010 is offline  
post #7 of 32 Old 01-29-2012, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
MSmith83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 8,645
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 62
The Portal games are not really my cup of tea either. I guess the authors of the list wanted to avoid the usual suspects of Deus Ex, Half-Life 2, etc.

If I were to be a bit pretentious in choosing a number one, then I would go with Just Cause 2. That game is a prime example of why we play games, and that is to have pure fun.
MSmith83 is offline  
post #8 of 32 Old 01-30-2012, 05:22 AM
Advanced Member
 
Threefiddie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lexington, SC
Posts: 703
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 24
could care less about portal. Only thing cool that came out of of portal is The cake is a lie.

Threefiddie is offline  
post #9 of 32 Old 01-30-2012, 06:22 AM
Member
 
DeltaDeuce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 129
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Portal is on my Top 5 list.

If I'm bored, I will play though it. Done it numerous times. It's fun to see just how fast I can get through it.
DeltaDeuce is offline  
post #10 of 32 Old 01-30-2012, 07:14 AM
Advanced Member
 
WiseGuy2k7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 533
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
PCG has sure went downhill compared to what they were in the late 90's. I think Half Life 2 should be #1. Not only was it a great game, but the source engine valve created spanned so many great mods. Portal wouldnt exist if it werent for the source engine being mod friendly. Oh well PCG died when "The Vede" left, guy was so funny and bleeds pc gaming.

PSN:The_Wise_Guy
XBL:DirtySanWiseGuy
Steam:The_Wise_Guy
BF4 PC:The_Wise_Guy

WiseGuy2k7 is offline  
post #11 of 32 Old 01-30-2012, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Archaea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 6,229
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked: 763
halflife one was superior in story and
gameplay and tech at time of release to halflife 2 in my opinion by a significant margin. I loved halflife and counterstrike 1.6. By comparison halflife 2 was a better looking poorer playing game imo. Felt like I was on rails with only the illusion of a big world in half life 2. Just my opinion.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
Archaea is offline  
post #12 of 32 Old 01-30-2012, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member
 
tory40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 749
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Also not im my top 100. I'm guessing people that like it like more traditional rack-up-the-points games? (and nothing wrong with that btw) Portal 2 is more my style, an adventure...

If Metro 2033 and Mass Effect aren't on that list, someone get my RPG.
tory40 is offline  
post #13 of 32 Old 01-31-2012, 10:00 AM
Bass Enabler
 
Scott Simonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Clovis, CA
Posts: 14,053
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 692 Post(s)
Liked: 906
Whew! And I thought I was the only one who thought the Portal series was overrated.

It's just.... okay. I've played both (came with Valve complete pack) and have no desire to play either again.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

 

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

Scott Simonian is offline  
post #14 of 32 Old 01-31-2012, 10:02 AM
Senior Member
 
Joeforsale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 366
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The Portal series is amazing!! However, I agree it shouldn't have been number 1.
Joeforsale is offline  
post #15 of 32 Old 01-31-2012, 10:07 AM
Bass Enabler
 
Scott Simonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Clovis, CA
Posts: 14,053
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 692 Post(s)
Liked: 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor2010 View Post

and of course the internet fans ruined the game for a lot of people (Cake Anyone?)

Yup. You got it. A LOT of stuff (games, tv, music) is ruined is the same fashion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseGuy2k7 View Post

PCG has sure went downhill compared to what they were in the late 90's. I think Half Life 2 should be #1. Not only was it a great game, but the source engine valve created spanned so many great mods. Portal wouldnt exist if it werent for the source engine being mod friendly. Oh well PCG died when "The Vede" left, guy was so funny and bleeds pc gaming.

Werd. I was a subscriber back in the 90's and early 2000's. When Vede left, I was out too. The mag just went downhill and I lost interest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

halflife one was superior in story and
gameplay and tech at time of release to halflife 2 in my opinion by a significant margin. I loved halflife and counterstrike 1.6. By comparison halflife 2 was a better looking poorer playing game imo. Felt like I was on rails with only the illusion of a big world in half life 2. Just my opinion.

I agree and well said. I think the Source engine is very good but imho getting long in tooth and it's about time we get a newer, better, more capable engine. HL1 was the sh*t. HL2 bored me to tears.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

 

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

Scott Simonian is offline  
post #16 of 32 Old 01-31-2012, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member
 
MSmith83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 8,645
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I got a bit more enjoyment out of Half-Life 2 than I did with the original. I mostly preferred the sequel's environments. Of course, when looking at what made a bigger impact, the original Half-Life was revolutionary and was more significant to change in the first-person shooter genre.

The sequel's physics, AI (in some respects, initially buggy in others), software sound processing and overall graphics were a big evolutionary step. I think it all combined to make for an extremely fun experience.
MSmith83 is offline  
post #17 of 32 Old 01-31-2012, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member
 
N8DOGG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,786
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 318
I generally like HL2 better than HL1 also.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

N8DOGG is offline  
post #18 of 32 Old 02-01-2012, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
desertdome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Elkhorn, NE
Posts: 1,779
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

Games Like WarCraft 2, Diablo, Rise of the Triad, Super Mario Brothers, Pitfall, RiverRaid, Combat, Doom 2, Quake, Carmageddon, Super Mario Go Kart, Donky Kong Country, Guantlet, Stronghold, Super Off Road, Rampart, hexen, lemmings, Tomb Raider, Diablo 2, Starcraft, Gears of War, Halflife, CounterStrike, Call of Duty series, Command and Conquer, freedom force, return to krondor, lode runner, heck even Zuma is better/kept my attention longer than Portal. These off the top of my head in nothing flat...Portal wouldn't even be on my top 100 list I'm fairly sure.

I used to play Lode Runner every day in the computer lab while in high school. My friends and I created almost impossible levels. I loved that game.

I enjoyed Portal, but wouldn't put it at the top. My favorite games have been Far Cry and Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter 2.
desertdome is offline  
post #19 of 32 Old 02-01-2012, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Archaea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 6,229
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked: 763
the original far cry was incredible at release.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
Archaea is offline  
post #20 of 32 Old 02-01-2012, 06:32 PM
Advanced Member
 
WiseGuy2k7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 533
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

the original far cry was incredible at release.

Yep it took a mighty rig to run that game. But it was so worth it

PSN:The_Wise_Guy
XBL:DirtySanWiseGuy
Steam:The_Wise_Guy
BF4 PC:The_Wise_Guy

WiseGuy2k7 is offline  
post #21 of 32 Old 02-04-2012, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member
 
LexInVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,960
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

the original far cry was incredible at release.

First 64-bit game released too. Back in the XP Pro 64-bit days. Crytek pushed the limits on that title.
LexInVA is offline  
post #22 of 32 Old 02-04-2012, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member
 
LexInVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,960
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

I think the Source engine is very good but imho getting long in tooth and it's about time we get a newer, better, more capable engine.



You really need to see what people have been doing with the Source engine. It's organic and Valve updates it's capabilities with every marquis title they publish that uses it. Try the latest Fake Factory mod with HL2 or some of the stunning and hardware breaking HL2 maps that have been made to demo the engine's features and you'll see what I'm talking about. Right now Valve is working on perfecting a 64-bit version of the Source Engine and that will definitely open up new ground for pushing whatever hardware you've got with much larger levels and more detailed textures.
LexInVA is offline  
post #23 of 32 Old 02-04-2012, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member
 
tory40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 749
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
This may sound like blasphemy to some, but old Source engine games REALLY grade on me nowadays. I think its also the sound effects from HL2 (and HL1! ) that play a large part because when i hear them i feel a little repulsed. I'm not sure why, as i really loved HL1 (would love to see an official remake or continuation of the Black Mesa setting). I was happy that they didn't carry on some of the sound effects from Portal 1 to P2. P1 had a lot of HL2 sounds. P2 also seemed to have added on a lot of atmospherical and shading effects that i really liked, much like i see in Bad Company 2 (dont have BF3 yet). In 3D, Bad Company 2 almost looks like you viewing a window to reality sometimes, the qualifier to that being that 3D reduces the clarity a bit so its harder to see the fakeness of the game rendering...

One Source engine (that i know of) that is still very good looking and fun play wise, is Dark Messiah: Might and Magic. Is that what it was called? That game had pretty sophisticated sword play, more so than Skyrim i think, but correct me if im wrong.
tory40 is offline  
post #24 of 32 Old 02-04-2012, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
pcweber111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: In a van, down by the river.
Posts: 3,568
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threefiddie View Post

could care less about portal. Only thing cool that came out of of portal is The cake is a lie.

Couldn't.

Anyway it's well known that Valve games have an almost Apple-like following and thus it's not surprising they're always held in such high regard, even undeservedly so. The smug clouds are thick with that group. I think the Half Life (and by extention Portal) games are amazingly fun, high quality, and engaging but yeah rating a game number one you can beat in 30 mins does seem like a bit of a stretch. Then again who cares? It's not like PCgamer is the end all be all of gaming and it is entirely their opinion so really, does it matter? I have to ask, if they rated a game you agreed with as number one would you be so up in arms over it?
pcweber111 is offline  
post #25 of 32 Old 02-04-2012, 10:47 PM
Bass Enabler
 
Scott Simonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Clovis, CA
Posts: 14,053
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 692 Post(s)
Liked: 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post



You really need to see what people have been doing with the Source engine. It's organic and Valve updates it's capabilities with every marquis title they publish that uses it. Try the latest Fake Factory mod with HL2 or some of the stunning and hardware breaking HL2 maps that have been made to demo the engine's features and you'll see what I'm talking about. Right now Valve is working on perfecting a 64-bit version of the Source Engine and that will definitely open up new ground for pushing whatever hardware you've got with much larger levels and more detailed textures.

Ah, geezuz. You know. I never said it looked like pure s**t and yes I acknowledge that people are doing great things with it. That being said, it's an old-ass engine. Let's get some fresh blood out there. I want newer, better, more capable engines. I'm happy that you and everyone else is happy to keep schlocking up all these old games built off tech that is a decade old but I want something new and better. It can be done. Just no one wants to do it cuz it costs time and money.... and it's sooo hard, right?

You know... the Quake 2 engine was good too and devs made some pretty spectacular things with that but at some point we must move on. Source is that way to me.

Forgive me for expecting better games and better technology in 2012. Time to move on.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

 

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

Scott Simonian is offline  
post #26 of 32 Old 02-05-2012, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
newfmp3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: NFLD, Canada
Posts: 3,947
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 128
portal was a great game no doubt. But I never really considered it a full game. But number 1?!!! Gimme a break. Proves just how far ign has fallen
newfmp3 is offline  
post #27 of 32 Old 02-06-2012, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
tomfoolery_79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 701
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfmp3 View Post

portal was a great game no doubt. But I never really considered it a full game. But number 1?!!! Gimme a break. Proves just how far ign has fallen

PCGAMER....not IGN. It's shocking.

STEAM: Augcliffe
PSN: Augcliffe
tomfoolery_79 is offline  
post #28 of 32 Old 02-06-2012, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member
 
Hawkwing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 565
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

Ah, geezuz. You know. I never said it looked like pure s**t and yes I acknowledge that people are doing great things with it. That being said, it's an old-ass engine. Let's get some fresh blood out there. I want newer, better, more capable engines. I'm happy that you and everyone else is happy to keep schlocking up all these old games built off tech that is a decade old but I want something new and better. It can be done. Just no one wants to do it cuz it costs time and money.... and it's sooo hard, right?

You know... the Quake 2 engine was good too and devs made some pretty spectacular things with that but at some point we must move on. Source is that way to me.

Forgive me for expecting better games and better technology in 2012. Time to move on.


I am pretty sure that when Sony and Microsoft unveil their hardware specs for the next console systems, you will see a lot of new graphics engines start development. Consoles rules the roost. That is where the money is at nowadays. The PC Crysis engine is 4 years old now! Could you imagine if Crytek would have developed a new cutting edge graphics engine for Skyrim? But these two companies (Crytek, and Bethesda) are no longer pc centric like in the old days.

This why I am looking forward to something like Metro: Last Light.
Hawkwing is offline  
post #29 of 32 Old 02-11-2012, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
newfmp3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: NFLD, Canada
Posts: 3,947
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwing View Post


I am pretty sure that when Sony and Microsoft unveil their hardware specs for the next console systems, you will see a lot of new graphics engines start development. Consoles rules the roost. That is where the money is at nowadays. The PC Crysis engine is 4 years old now! Could you imagine if Crytek would have developed a new cutting edge graphics engine for Skyrim? But these two companies (Crytek, and Bethesda) are no longer pc centric like in the old days.

This why I am looking forward to something like Metro: Last Light.

just went through Metro 2033 in november. Decent enough but voice acting and story telling was below average. Gorgeous to look at though.
newfmp3 is offline  
post #30 of 32 Old 02-11-2012, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
pcweber111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: In a van, down by the river.
Posts: 3,568
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Really I thought the voice acting was pretty good myself. The story was a bit eh but at least it was more original than what we normally get.
pcweber111 is offline  
Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off