Connecting PC to Panasonic TH-37PW5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-06-2012, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is not a high-tech gaming rig, and hence not a high-tech question, but i didnt know where else to post this. Thanks for any insight you can provide.

I got a 36" Panasonic TH-37PW5 Plasma from a yard sale for $20 and want to hook up my PC to it. The TV only has Component and VGA inputs. When i hook up my PC it only displays up to 1072x600. The video card is an integrated Intel 82865G.

Obviously this res is not very satisfactory.

What do i need to do to get a higher res with this TV? Is that the max it can display? Is the video card limiting and do i need a new one?

Or, is it a Windows setting? (Slider is set to max and refresh rate is 61hz (only option).

Or, is it a TV Setting?

Thanks again for any advice and insight you can provide!

PS - looking mostly to use this as a PC monitor, watching some video, no gaming really. Just want crisp(er) text and web pages to fit on the screen! lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-06-2012, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
I put the model no. in a google search and from my findings its a limitation of the panel. Max resolution is suppose to be 852x480, which is a very weird resolution. Most likely this is the reason it was only $20, as it cannot not display true hd. Here is a link for you to check out on the specs.http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/plasma-tv/pa...37pw5/details/

PSN:The_Wise_Guy
XBL:DirtySanWiseGuy
Steam:The_Wise_Guy
BF4 PC:The_Wise_Guy

post #3 of 5 Old 02-06-2012, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah that's what i was thinking, but found it strange the PC allowed it to go to 1072x600.

I have a Pioneer PDP-5080HD which is a 720p Panel (max res 1365x768) and seem to remember getting higher res when connecting to a PC. My memory could serve me wrong, however.

Thanks for the quick reply WiseGuy, Anyone with a difinitive answer on this one?
post #4 of 5 Old 02-06-2012, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseGuy2k7 View Post

I put the model no. in a google search and from my findings its a limitation of the panel. Max resolution is suppose to be 852x480, which is a very weird resolution. Most likely this is the reason it was only $20, as it cannot not display true hd. Here is a link for you to check out on the specs.http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/plasma-tv/pa...37pw5/details/

I remember seeing Panasonic and Phillips EDTV Plasma's around the time I bought my first HDTV (Jan 2006). They were 42" models and selling for around $1000. With a 852x480 (480p) resolution, this is a EDTV. I never saw a 36" version, this is probably an older model. I bet it would work really nice with last-gen gaming systems, or a Wii, that can only go up to 480p. I sure wouldn't use it with a pc though.
post #5 of 5 Old 02-06-2012, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter

Ok fair enough. Wii screen it is! (guy told me he paid $8000 for it... i figured that was laughable). But, a nice $20 purchase all the while.

Thanks guys!
Reply HTPC Gaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page