Dragon Age II - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 02-06-2012, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know this game is old, but I'm about 12 hours in and wanted to share my thoughts.

I'm really baffled by the bad reviews by fans when it first came out. I'll be the first to say that they made some pretty drastic changes from Origins.

First the strengths.
1. Graphics, I never understood why people have said that Dragon Age games are bad looking. Maybe I still marvel that in my life time we went from Intellivision to these technological marvels. The graphics although not bleeding edge certainly aren't bad in any sense of the word.

One of my favorite features of this game that EVERY game should let you do is the freeze frame pause. Not only does this pause the game (always a nice feature), but when you pause, you can rotate the camera. This has allowed me to get just the right angle when getting a nice screenshot. You can freeze massive explosions right in the middle of a fight and get a screenie. Nice!

2. Art style, Both Dragon Age games have had fantastic art style. From the design of the environments right down to the swords and armor, everything looks great.

3. Storytelling, DA:O had great storytelling! DA2 I would say carries on that theme. If a 1 - 10 scale could be had, I'd say DA:O was a 10. DA2 would be an 8. An 8 is NOT bad folks.

4. Combat, I know people loved the DA:O RTS type gameplay but for me it wasn't quite a home run. It wasn't bad by any means, but it wasn't quite for me. DA2 I feel takes the great parts of DA:O's combat and kicks it into high gear. They really got it right IMO.

The bad

It's quite linear. Being a big fan of Open World/Sandbox games this is disappointing however I have to remind myself that they weren't trying for open world. Speaking of world, they reduced the game from a large map down to a city and although the city is nice and neat, more variety is the let down here.

Armor - The armor has restrictions at times. You may find a NICE rogue piece just to find out it's restricted to the main character. what if your main character is a mage?!?! That piece is completely wasted.

Runes/Enchantments - This has felt like a bullet point in both DA:O and DA2 that never got much attention. I'm 12 hours into this game and have not applied one single rune or one single enchantment. It's such an afterthought in these games that I can't figure out what I'm supposed to be doing. I know the austistic dwarf is supposed to be the enchanter, but I've had 1 piece of gear the whole game that was even eligible to be enchanted.

Lastly, there are some repeated use of dungeons and map areas that again can get a little tedious, but it's certainly not a deal breaker that the reviews made it out to be.

In summation, DA2 is a step down from DA:O. HOWEVER, if it had a different title or was made by someone other than Bioware, I feel that people would have been like "OMG, this game is awesome!" The fact is that because it was a change and a little less than it's predecessor it took a lot of heat. If DA:O was a 9.5, DA2 is an 8.5. 8.5 IMO isn't bad.

Peace up, A-town down.

STEAM: Augcliffe
PSN: Augcliffe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-07-2012, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 66
I think the bad critics came from the fact that the game is more action and fast-paced than the first one. Dragon Age : Origins was a trued RPG ala Baldur's Gate where DA:II went the action-rpg route.

I think the repetition in the dungeons was also a let down.

I haven't played DA:II yet. I loved Origins and I will play DA:II knowing it's a different game.

Are you playing the game with a keyboard/mouse or a controller? The game might be more console oriented so I will probably try it with both
post #3 of 8 Old 02-07-2012, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashboard View Post

I think the bad critics came from the fact that the game is more action and fast-paced than the first one. Dragon Age : Origins was a trued RPG ala Baldur's Gate where DA:II went the action-rpg route.

I think the repetition in the dungeons was also a let down.

I haven't played DA:II yet. I loved Origins and I will play DA:II knowing it's a different game.

Are you playing the game with a keyboard/mouse or a controller? The game might be more console oriented so I will probably try it with both

The PC version doesn't support controllers. Bioware has developed a really annoying habit of only having KBM controls on PC. I understand the desire to make an interface tailored to KBM, but it's pretty irritating that they also strip out the controller interface entirely from their PC games. ME1 at least all the artwork and it could be generally hacked back in, but they must not have liked that because the "issue" was "fixed" in ME2 (and DA2).
post #4 of 8 Old 02-07-2012, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrisg View Post

The PC version doesn't support controllers. Bioware has developed a really annoying habit of only having KBM controls on PC. I understand the desire to make an interface tailored to KBM, but it's pretty irritating that they also strip out the controller interface entirely from their PC games. ME1 at least all the artwork and it could be generally hacked back in, but they must not have liked that because the "issue" was "fixed" in ME2 (and DA2).

I don't care using KBM if the controls works well. I've tried the demo for Kingdom of Amalur and the controls were ok at best, I'll have to try it with a controller to see if it's better. KBM for the first game was a no-brainer but since the second one seemed more action, controller could be good.
post #5 of 8 Old 02-07-2012, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

I played it for about 50 hours on PS3 - and found that the story just didn't keep me interested like the DA:O storyline did.

I enjoyed the combat more in DA2 - especially the fact that mage's staffs are able to be used as a melee weapon.
I didn't like the fact that I can't be an "Arcane Warrior" anymore - I liked being able to tank and cast spells... and pretty much clear a room by myself.

The armor restrictions were a real pain like you mentioned... and the reusing the same map for almost every underground area really started to get to me. At first I didn't care, but later I was actually yelling at the game when I would go into an area and see the same map again.

Overall - I'm glad I got Skyrim for Christmas...

-Aaron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- actually doing stuff now... please comment!
post #6 of 8 Old 02-15-2012, 05:33 AM

I played it for a while and did enjoy it. Didnt feel as epic as the first one though and the dungeons looking the same did suck.

SWTOR ended up taking me away and it almost feels like DA2 was a test run for swtor. A mage has almost the same exact powers as a jedi consular.
post #7 of 8 Old 02-15-2012, 08:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTAaron View Post

I played it for about 50 hours on PS3 - and found that the story just didn't keep me interested...

What's wrong with this statement?

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #8 of 8 Old 02-15-2012, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

What's wrong with this statement?

Ya know it's funny, I almost said the exact same thing. How stupid.

STEAM: Augcliffe
PSN: Augcliffe
Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page