Terraria - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 29 Old 02-07-2012, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I made a search but didn't find any results for a topic on this game. Don't know if people still play this game tho.

I picked up this game last Steam's sale for 2,50$ but never played it until this weekend while me and my brother were looking for a game to play together (he was getting sick of BF3). We are now hooked! This game is pure crack

We spent a couple of hours on a private server Sunday and played a little bit single-player on our side last night. This game is addictive, my GF got back last night and I was like : Yeah I'm coming in 5 minutes 30 minutes later she walks into the room with evil eyes

I tried Minecraft a bit but didn't really got hooked. I think I prefer the combat/items things in Terraria and also the crafting is easier. Don't have to remember all the recipe by heart!

I'm barely starting this game so I have a lot of learn but so far, I'm having a blast!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 02-07-2012, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashboard View Post

I made a search but didn't find any results for a topic on this game. Don't know if people still play this game tho.

I picked up this game last Steam's sale for 2,50$ but never played it until this weekend while me and my brother were looking for a game to play together (he was getting sick of BF3). We are now hooked! This game is pure crack

We spent a couple of hours on a private server Sunday and played a little bit single-player on our side last night. This game is addictive, my GF got back last night and I was like : Yeah I'm coming in 5 minutes 30 minutes later she walks into the room with evil eyes

I tried Minecraft a bit but didn't really got hooked. I think I prefer the combat/items things in Terraria and also the crafting is easier. Don't have to remember all the recipe by heart!

I'm barely starting this game so I have a lot of learn but so far, I'm having a blast!

Use the Terraria Wiki. There's so much stuff in this game that you would probably never figure out by chance.
post #3 of 29 Old 02-07-2012, 09:50 AM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 638
A couple of friends and I played this for a whole weekend when it was last on sale. Needed something 'different' from Minecraft. All in all it is an interesting game with not as much lasting appeal, imo. I like the weapons, assortment of craftable items, level areas and boss fights. Felt like I was playing a modern SNES game and I really had a good time playing while we did. That being said I don't care for the side scrolling, 2D only view and I feel it just doesn't allow that freedom of design when building things. In Minecraft, it's just fun to build stuff cuz you have such freedom. Freedom of dimension. I wouldn't get excited about this one if you're looking to build often. Cave diving is pretty fun though. I really liked that. Especially once you've got the grapple hook and some nice gear. There is even a chaingun/machinegun thing in this too and that was totally my style. Though once you've got the best gear and have gone down to the 'hell' part of the map, defeated all the bosses... there is just nothing left to do.

I highly recommend it for simple yet layered fun and considering the typical price (and frequent sales on top of that) it's almost a no brainer. You can get several friends in at a time too and I think that makes things so much better.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #4 of 29 Old 02-07-2012, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

A couple of friends and I played this for a whole weekend when it was last on sale. Needed something 'different' from Minecraft. All in all it is an interesting game with not as much lasting appeal, imo. I like the weapons, assortment of craftable items, level areas and boss fights. Felt like I was playing a modern SNES game and I really had a good time playing while we did. That being said I don't care for the side scrolling, 2D only view and I feel it just doesn't allow that freedom of design when building things. In Minecraft, it's just fun to build stuff cuz you have such freedom. Freedom of dimension. I wouldn't get excited about this one if you're looking to build often. Cave diving is pretty fun though. I really liked that. Especially once you've got the grapple hook and some nice gear. There is even a chaingun/machinegun thing in this too and that was totally my style. Though once you've got the best gear and have gone down to the 'hell' part of the map, defeated all the bosses... there is just nothing left to do.

I highly recommend it for simple yet layered fun and considering the typical price (and frequent sales on top of that) it's almost a no brainer. You can get several friends in at a time too and I think that makes things so much better.

I agree that the level of building isn't comparable between Terraria and Minecraft. I've watch crazy Minecraft construction (the last one being the Egyptian Tomb).

The mining is so fun tho. Just dig, find a spot then see something, dig, then you find something new and keep digging Still need better gear. I,ve read how to get the grappling hook, need to find the material now. I'm only using copper armor and some silver/iron items.

The game will last me for a couple of hours for sure, so at 2,50$, it was a steal so far
post #5 of 29 Old 02-07-2012, 11:00 AM
Bass Enabler

Yeah... although Minecraft is the same way, really, with regards to digging and then finding stuff but... maybe my friend and I know the 'trick' to getting good finds in MC.

Yes!

Get

The

Grappling

Hook

Trust me.

Oh and get some materials to spawn NPC's if you can. They can be useful and most have things to sell to you. If you don't know how to spawn NPC's, it's pretty easy.

http://wiki.terrariaonline.com/Home

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

post #6 of 29 Old 02-07-2012, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Oops. Yes, use the wiki Scott posted. That's the one I meant but grabbed the wikia one, which isn't as comprehensive.
post #7 of 29 Old 02-07-2012, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the infos. The wiki is really useful, we were wondering how to make the loom to make silk to make beds sunday. We finally found it on the net So we were able to get 2 NPCs to spawn.

Now I have a small question concerning NPCs. We made a big house... underground and we have the nurse and the old guy vendor spawned. If we make a bigger house on the surface and want them there... is it possible or if they spawn at one place they won't spawn somewhere else? I think I would need to kill them and have them respawn in the new house

The underground hotel is nice but I made a really nice above ground house in single-player, might want to reproduce this with my brother online
post #8 of 29 Old 02-07-2012, 02:20 PM
Bass Enabler

I'm not sure how to relocate them or if you can at all. When my friend and I played, we had built these extra homes out a bit cuz we simply needed a place to either store extra stuff or just to hide for a bit.

You're making me want to play more Terraria.

Post up (or PM me) your server info and maybe I can drop by.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

post #9 of 29 Old 02-07-2012, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashboard View Post

Thanks for the infos. The wiki is really useful, we were wondering how to make the loom to make silk to make beds sunday. We finally found it on the net So we were able to get 2 NPCs to spawn.

Now I have a small question concerning NPCs. We made a big house... underground and we have the nurse and the old guy vendor spawned. If we make a bigger house on the surface and want them there... is it possible or if they spawn at one place they won't spawn somewhere else? I think I would need to kill them and have them respawn in the new house

The underground hotel is nice but I made a really nice above ground house in single-player, might want to reproduce this with my brother online

Make their room unlivable by violating one of the requirements (at least one table, at least one chair, a door, a light source, backing wall, and I think at least 6 blocks wide x 4 blocks tall). They'll move into the next available livable room you make. If you want to speed up the process quit and reload or just kill them.
post #10 of 29 Old 02-08-2012, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm not sure how to relocate them or if you can at all. When my friend and I played, we had built these extra homes out a bit cuz we simply needed a place to either store extra stuff or just to hide for a bit.

You're making me want to play more Terraria.

Post up (or PM me) your server info and maybe I can drop by.

I'd gladly have you on our server but it's not a permanent server running. My brother is hosting it when is computer is one while we play together. other than that, it's down and we made a pact to only use our toons when we play with each other

First thing I did last night when coming out was aiming for the grappling hook. My brother already had the hook in is inventory so while he was crafting it I went to kill skeletons to get the hook... dropped after 2 kills This thing is soooo useful!!
post #11 of 29 Old 02-08-2012, 09:55 AM
Bass Enabler

Yes. Yes it is!

Teach yourself how to rapid ascend and descend with it. That and ceiling crawls. Sure helps getting across large dangerous pits and stuff.

No worries wrt server access. The world I was playing was hosted by my friend so I can't go back there unless I can convince him to boot it up. I have a character with full gear, health and all that so if you guys needed some help with anything or a boss fight I'd be down.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

post #12 of 29 Old 02-08-2012, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes. Yes it is!

Teach yourself how to rapid ascend and descend with it. That and ceiling crawls. Sure helps getting across large dangerous pits and stuff.

No worries wrt server access. The world I was playing was hosted by my friend so I can't go back there unless I can convince him to boot it up. I have a character with full gear, health and all that so if you guys needed some help with anything or a boss fight I'd be down.

We're still far from our first boss fight I think We managed to craft some golden stuff last night. Found our first corruption ore so couldn't mine it.

I found some demonic ore tho, I have 2
post #13 of 29 Old 02-13-2012, 05:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I killed the first boss in single-player last nigt

now I need to search wiki to find what to craft a pick for corrupted ore.

I have enough Demonite Bar to craft a badass weapon now ( The night Axe of Light's Bane )
post #14 of 29 Old 02-13-2012, 10:09 AM
Bass Enabler

You're going to need (and want) a Nightmare pickaxe.

Requires 12 demonite bars and 6 shadow scales. I believe you will need to kill the 'Eater of Worlds' one or two times to build a full set of Shadow armor cuz trust me, you'll want all this soon.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

post #15 of 29 Old 02-13-2012, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You're going to need (and want) a Nightmare pickaxe.

Requires 12 demonite bars and 6 shadow scales. I believe you will need to kill the 'Eater of Worlds' one or two times to build a full set of Shadow armor cuz trust me, you'll want all this soon.

Yeah my next thing was the nightmare pickaxe for the corrupted ore but I needed Shadow Scales. Seems like it only drops from the Eater of Worlds so I'll need to crush some Sahdow Orbs but haven't found any yet. Good thing the Eater respawn so you can farm Scales. The Shadow Armor looks really badass, but it will be a little bit before I wear it I'm starting to have a couple of nice items (nothing compared to you probably but I can double jump and have some IAS and damage )

I was able to find some Life Crystal last night, now up to 160 HP. The Eye was a piece of cake with my Silver Bow
post #16 of 29 Old 02-13-2012, 01:59 PM
Bass Enabler

Yeah. You're going to have to kill the EoW a couple times to get the stuff but trust me, you WILL want to do this as early as possible. Just makes cave diving that much easier with not only the right weapons but the right armor. Everyone has their own play style though. I was playing coop the whole time too I had some help but my loadout for the last half of the game was a Muramasa and the Minishark. Then I had all the other tools I needed. The Muramasa was very useful as it would light up the area and it had a very long reach so I could hit things from far away and/or cut lots of vines from ceilings.

Also look out for a nice boomerang. G'damn those are useful!

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

post #17 of 29 Old 02-13-2012, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm mostly playing single-player for now (my sp toon is further than my mp now).

Still haven't found any Shadow Orbs so we'll see when I'll be able to summon EoW. The Dryad spawned tonight so I can buy some purification stuff from her.
post #18 of 29 Old 02-14-2012, 09:43 AM
Bass Enabler

You get the shadow orbs from the EoW.

You must kill this thing.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

post #19 of 29 Old 02-14-2012, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You get the shadow orbs from the EoW.

You must kill this thing.

The wiki says you need to smash 3 Shadow Orbs or use Worm Food to summon him. I think you are referring to the Shadow Scales to craft the Shadow Armor

I'll try to find the Orbs to farm to make the Worm Food.
post #20 of 29 Old 02-14-2012, 11:17 AM
Bass Enabler

Oh right. But either way... kill that dewd.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

post #21 of 29 Old 02-14-2012, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Oh right. But either way... kill that dewd.

I just need to summon him

Don't know which will be fastest... smash the orbs if I can find them or farm the material for the Worm Food

I won't have time to play tonight tho, it will be later this week
post #22 of 29 Old 02-15-2012, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Pretty lame... I was able to summon EoW 2 times but both times he killed them and then disappeared... he's supposed to stay until it takes too long or I die too many times but I died once... both time... first time the BLood Moon occured at the same time.. maybe he vanished because of that
post #23 of 29 Old 02-16-2012, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

After smashing 7 orbs and summoning the EoW 2 times and having him disappear and fighting him in tunnels.. I changed my tactic!

Gathered some Vile Mushroom and Rotten Chunk and made the Worm Food. Summoned the EoW on top of the ground with bridges between gaps for an easy fight

I had enough Shadow Scales (with the two previous "fights") to craft the nightmare pickaxe and the Shadow helmet and body armor. Just need the greaves now so I will probably summon him another time.

Now I need to hunt Heart Crystal.. I'm stuck at 160 hp. I have plenty of Demonite Bar tho since I summoned the Eye of Chtulu like 5 times last night So easy to get 6 lens to summon him for easy Demonite Ore.

i also got 2 meteorite fall last night, I made the Meteorite Axe and still haven't found the second meteorite landing zone

i need 5 mroe gold to buy the Minishark now
post #24 of 29 Old 02-16-2012, 09:54 AM
Bass Enabler

Holy crap! Two meteors? Awesome! I've only seen one. Goodtimes, bro.

Yeah, EoW can be difficult depending on how you do the fight. My bud and I got our asses kicked the first time only cuz we didn't know what to expect. Later we made a flat area to fight in and closed it off so none of those flying things could get in. On accident, I made a dip in the floor that was big enough to fit a person in and not move. My bud and I stood in this and the EoW came right at us. We attacked and it gets stunned so it moves real slow. Basically we chopped the s**t out of it as it came to us. Easy fight, easily repeatable.

Now that you have some decent gear, just go cave diving some more. You'll find plenty of those hearts. I think you're almost maxed out though. 200hp is the limit, iirc.

Minishark is fun!

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

post #25 of 29 Old 02-16-2012, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I didn't get a real chance to fight EoW the 2 first time I summoned him since I was underground in my tunnels... I was trying to get to the surface to fight him there while attacking him but didn't make it. the fight above ground was a piece of cake tho.

With the first Meteor I was able to get like 250 meteorite orb (the meteorhead drops them so I took my time to harvest all the ore to farm them also ) I need to find the second crash site now.

I have some decent cave tunnel already, but I need to find more Hearts to max at 400hp (according to the wiki 400 is the limit. 200 is the mana I think).

Fun game
post #26 of 29 Old 02-20-2012, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Killed Skeletron and started the dungeon.

Defeated 2 Goblin Army. Bought Minishark and got a Lethargic one (blah ). Almost max life. Need to clean the Dungeon to get some nice loots

only NPC I miss is the Wizard (after Wall of Flesh)
post #27 of 29 Old 02-21-2012, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I should have named this thread : My journey thru Terraria

I went deeper into the Dungeon, found 2 Muramasa, 1 Cobalt Shield, some spells. I'm now at max life. I have like 10 golden keys, still need to find the Shadow Chest. Didn't know dungeons were so big, seems like there is always a door leading to a new room.

Anyone know a good spot to find diving gear? I'm so slow in the water and can't breathe long (without potion). I think it's just random drop from chest or in the ocean's chest.
post #28 of 29 Old 03-26-2012, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Started Hardmode last night

I have the full Cobalt set, made a Mythril Anvil and Adamantine Forge. Just need more ore now

I'm dying alot more in hardmode

I regret not farming WoF before smashing a Demon Altar tho. Might create a new world just to farm him for the emblems and stuff because the new hardmode monsters in hell are pretty strong compared to me so far

Didn't try my Mega Man armor (Cobalt armor) since I crafted it and called it a night. My Molten Armor seemed weak but the Cobalt set only grants me 1 more defense. The bonuses seems better suited for me. Hope it helps!
post #29 of 29 Old 04-02-2012, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Probably the best 2,50$ I invested in a game. After 60 hours of gameplay, I have done everything.

I have my Excalibur, Hallowed Armor, Megashark, etc.

Sandbox time if I want to keep going. I could pimp my house a little with traps and wires and things. I haven't touch it alot, only some automatic doors.
Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page