A dumbassed question about Headsets - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 02-23-2012, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I'm about to drop some $$$ on a PC wireless headset...or maybe just a USB headset, not entirely sure which yet.....I just want to know, how do you direct your system to send the sound to the headset and not the speakers you have connected?

Thank you for tolerating this "DUHHHH" moment

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-23-2012, 11:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Most likely it'll switch to the headset automatically when it's plugged in. If it doesnt though, you'll have to go into your audio settings and select it as the output device.
post #3 of 12 Old 02-24-2012, 12:55 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked: 1015
I use Logitech G930's that are wireless USB. Once they are connected all the sound is output to my headphones.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #4 of 12 Old 02-24-2012, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

I use Logitech G930's that are wireless USB. Once they are connected all the sound is output to my headphones.

I bought my son a pair of Logitech's for his birthday and that's the one thing that bugs me. I have to unplug that damn little plug to get my speakers to work even though the headset is turned off. If there is a set that automatically reverts back to the speakers when the headset is off, buy a pair of those.
post #5 of 12 Old 02-24-2012, 06:49 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 25
None of that is necessary. All you need to do is right click on the little speakers icon in your system try at the bottom right of your screen and select Playback Devices. Then highlight either the headset or your soundcard and click "Set Default". I use this method to switch between my Soundblaster X-Fi which runs my Psyko Audio headphones and my Presonus Audio Box USB mixer for music through my studio monitors. I don't have to constantly unplug and replug anything.
post #6 of 12 Old 02-24-2012, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 74
I will have to try some of the suggestions here.

For me, some games i can plug my headset in the back of the computer to have both voice chat and game's sound. But for voice chat with steam's game.. it's not working if I plug them behind, I have to plug them on top of my case (where there is the Beat thing) and i get the game,s sound from the speakers plugged behind...
post #7 of 12 Old 02-24-2012, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ehhhhh...many moons ago I thought, in this day and age, USB was the only reliable connection to get chat/game sounds working with headphones.

Last time I checked there was still no way to do an X-Box live setup where mic and headset was just for chat while game sounds came out of the speakers.....or has that changed...?

Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #8 of 12 Old 02-24-2012, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaked05 View Post

None of that is necessary. All you need to do is right click on the little speakers icon in your system try at the bottom right of your screen and select Playback Devices. Then highlight either the headset or your soundcard and click "Set Default". I use this method to switch between my Soundblaster X-Fi which runs my Psyko Audio headphones and my Presonus Audio Box USB mixer for music through my studio monitors. I don't have to constantly unplug and replug anything.

True, but that does take longer than unplugging the transceiver. It shouldn't be that hard for a manufacturer to have software that automatically switches to speakers if the headset isn't receiving anything because it's off. There aren't any other Logitech wireless devices in the house close enough to create a conflict. And those devices are both mice and not speaker/headphones.
post #9 of 12 Old 03-01-2012, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRusch View Post

Ehhhhh...many moons ago I thought, in this day and age, USB was the only reliable connection to get chat/game sounds working with headphones.

Last time I checked there was still no way to do an X-Box live setup where mic and headset was just for chat while game sounds came out of the speakers.....or has that changed...?

I have the PS3 wireless headset and I'm able to have the game sound come from the speakers and use the headset just for Teamspeak.

Consider the unparalleled advantage, of a natural disaster that's impossible to manage.
post #10 of 12 Old 03-01-2012, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ooh maybe on teamspeak you can set it up directly to use a specific audio device. Then again TeamSpeak is a 3rd party app right? Its not a feature yet built into games the way it is on ps3/360....

post #11 of 12 Old 03-01-2012, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 197
I'm pretty sure Steam has a separate device selection for voice chat as well, though I tend not to play online so I'm not 100% sure (and when I do I don't use voice chat anyway). Maybe that only works for Source games though.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #12 of 12 Old 03-02-2012, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

good to know

Reply HTPC Gaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page