Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-04-2012, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi all, not sure if this is the right place but here goes:
I am looking to replace my main desktop pc with one of those tiny pcs that can mount to the back of my flat panel pc monitor. I am looking for a recommendation for an inexpensive pc with the following requirements

1) must have 1080p hdmi (that's what I use for my pc).
2) must have BD drive slot (I have an lg standard size bd burner to install, USB external also an option but not as nice).
3) must have enough horsepower to be able to run my movies collection manager, Microsoft office 2007, clown BD, anydvd hd and backup blu rays( not all at once).
4) support windows 7 ultimate

So basically I see frys has some under $200 units that look great but are they powerful enough to "backup" blu rays disc to iso?

Thanks for any and all help

Just enjoy HD in whatever form you can (Sat, Cable, D-VHS, OTA, HD DVD, or BD).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-05-2012, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
There is an HTPC forum, you might get better answers there:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=26

Otherwise, at least post some of the specs or a link to the $200 pc you are looking at, otherwise I'm not sure how anyone can tell you whether it'll do the job or not.

If all you are doing is literally making ISO's of the disc, you don't need a fast computer to do so. This is a process that is going to be hugely bottlenecked by the drive speed. HDD space however may be your bigger concern.

PSN / Steam - KrimsonStudios
post #3 of 5 Old 03-05-2012, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Ok, how about something like this?

Shuttle XS35GT-V2 any other units like this that someone has or can recommend. I want it to mount to the back of my 22" monitor in my office.

I see it has HDMI, and a 2.5 ODD slot (I will have to get a new blu ray burner or use USB).

Does this thing do 1080p? Will it have the horsepower to run my movies or back up/burn BD iso?

Thanks

Just enjoy HD in whatever form you can (Sat, Cable, D-VHS, OTA, HD DVD, or BD).
post #4 of 5 Old 03-06-2012, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 44
You can easily build one with an Antec ISK 110 VESA, a solid mini-ITX board with current Intel or AMD CPU with on-chip GPU, and an external Blu-Ray drive. You can cram two 2.5in HDDs into that case, but you'd want to go with an external eSATA storage array for sheer capacity as you can't hold many Blu-Ray ISOs on a 2.5in HDD compared to a 3.5in HDD and the smaller drives have significantly lower performance and longevity.
post #5 of 5 Old 03-09-2012, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Spackman View Post

Hi all, not sure if this is the right place but here goes:
I am looking to replace my main desktop pc with one of those tiny pcs that can mount to the back of my flat panel pc monitor. I am looking for a recommendation for an inexpensive pc with the following requirements

1) must have 1080p hdmi (that's what I use for my pc).
2) must have BD drive slot (I have an lg standard size bd burner to install, USB external also an option but not as nice).
3) must have enough horsepower to be able to run my movies collection manager, Microsoft office 2007, clown BD, anydvd hd and backup blu rays( not all at once).
4) support windows 7 ultimate

So basically I see frys has some under $200 units that look great but are they powerful enough to "backup" blu rays disc to iso?

Thanks for any and all help

Horsepower is not required to backup BDs. Only BD Reader Rip speed/MB controller speed is important. Re-encoding is another story. The more HP the quicker the re-encoding. I rip directly to my server over 10/1000 lan with no issues at all. It takes about 20-25 minutes per BD. I have rip lock disabled on all my LG BD readers.

***Lower bitrate Transrating is a process similar to transcoding in which files are coded to a lower bitrate without changing video formats; this can include sample rate conversion, but may use an identical sampling rate with higher compression. This allows one to fit given media into smaller storage space (for instance, fitting a DVD onto a Video CD), or over a lower bandwidth channel.**** BD Rebuilder is excellent at this.
Reply HTPC Gaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page