Nvidia Kepler - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 142 Old 05-18-2012, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I was all set to order a pair of 670's and run them in SLI when I began to remember all the issues people had with microstuttering and such...something I had forgotten about, its been awhile since I ran my 260's SLI'ed......

Then I said "I'll just get a 690 when they become available"....its not the money, its the performance.....do the single card SLI solutions suffer the same fate with that phenom?

Then I looked at some benchmarks and realized that my 580 gets pretty close to a stock 670, of course at higher wattage draws. My 580 is a pretty darned good one, it runs at 925Mhz......which is pretty good for a stable 580 overclock.....so moving to a 670 nets me some frames, but not a ton (depending on the game) and in some ways hurts me....so getting one 670 is a lateral move and getting two is...well.....I'm still waffling :P

Ultimately my 580 still has plenty of chops.....I have no need to upgrade......I just want to, mostly because this 580 that runs at this clock still has secondary market value....for the moment...

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 142 Old 05-18-2012, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRusch View Post

I was all set to order a pair of 670's and run them in SLI when I began to remember all the issues people had with microstuttering and such...something I had forgotten about, its been awhile since I ran my 260's SLI'ed......

Then I said "I'll just get a 690 when they become available"....its not the money, its the performance.....do the single card SLI solutions suffer the same fate with that phenom?

Then I looked at some benchmarks and realized that my 580 gets pretty close to a stock 670, of course at higher wattage draws. My 580 is a pretty darned good one, it runs at 925Mhz......which is pretty good for a stable 580 overclock.....so moving to a 670 nets me some frames, but not a ton (depending on the game) and in some ways hurts me....so getting one 670 is a lateral move and getting two is...well.....I'm still waffling :P

Ultimately my 580 still has plenty of chops.....I have no need to upgrade......I just want to, mostly because this 580 that runs at this clock still has secondary market value....for the moment...

If I already had a 580. I'd keep it for the compute power alone. It isn't like it can't run all games maxed out ya know. People seem to just hate on fermi now. When I'd still be very happy running a 580.

As for micro stutter. For some reason it only seems to happen when I 1st start playing a game. It's gone within 2 mins and doesn't come back. Could be a driver issue? These cards are pretty new. My guess is they have a lot of maturing to do still.
post #123 of 142 Old 05-18-2012, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

That's the thing...the major overclock on the 580 gets me pretty decent performance in just about everything. Ok I may have to turn a few things down in Crysis2 or run a custom config in Crysis to keep the frames around 60', but now with FXAA and such I can turn down AA and transparancy AA in some games if there's a performance issue.....so yeah, I'm sitting on this, its just that "ooooh...shiny new stuff...ooooh" urge

But I also know my 580 has more value today than it will in six months.....I guess by then I'll be happy to get $150 or $200 bucks for it and take the bite out of whatever I replace it with. the only thing that sucks is this gets a bit loud under load....and that is even with me having an MSI one that is supposed to run cooler and use softer fans...err forget the name of it now, vapochill..no...whatever, anyways.....thanks for the opinion.

Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #124 of 142 Old 05-18-2012, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's the thing...the major overclock on the 580 gets me pretty decent performance in just about everything. Ok I may have to turn a few things down in Crysis2 or run a custom config in Crysis to keep the frames around 60', but now with FXAA and such I can turn down AA and transparancy AA in some games if there's a performance issue.....so yeah, I'm sitting on this, its just that "ooooh...shiny new stuff...ooooh" urge

But I also know my 580 has more value today than it will in six months.....I guess by then I'll be happy to get $150 or $200 bucks for it and take the bite out of whatever I replace it with. the only thing that sucks is this gets a bit loud under load....and that is even with me having an MSI one that is supposed to run cooler and use softer fans...err forget the name of it now, vapochill..no...whatever, anyways.....thanks for the opinion.

Do you have any input lag problems on Crysis2? Whenever I try to play the game I get HORRIBLE input lag. IDK what the deal is. For once. Google couldn't help me.
post #125 of 142 Old 05-18-2012, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:

You're playing at 1920x1080, so it is probably best to just keep the 580 and see what the near future has in store.

If you buy a 670 now just to enable one or two more graphical features in a handful of games, then you might soon wish you had bought a GK110 so you can do something like enable maximum draw distance in a future game like GTA V.

Unless you just enjoy what you're currently getting, which is very high quality visuals at a smooth frame-rate, the madness never ends when you strive for the absolute best image quality settings at minimal benefit.
post #126 of 142 Old 05-18-2012, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JukeBox360 View Post

Do you have any input lag problems on Crysis2? Whenever I try to play the game I get HORRIBLE input lag. IDK what the deal is. For once. Google couldn't help me.

Negative on the input lag...but first thing with input lag is to turn of VSYNC....see if that helps anything or not........I think I run VSYNC off and get no tearing in the game that I notice. Been awhile since I fired it up...

post #127 of 142 Old 05-18-2012, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 View Post

You're playing at 1920x1080, so it is probably best to just keep the 580 and see what the near future has in store.

If you buy a 670 now just to enable one or two more graphical features in a handful of games, then you might soon wish you had bought a GK110 so you can do something like enable maximum draw distance in a future game like GTA V.

Unless you just enjoy what you're currently getting, which is very high quality visuals at a smooth frame-rate, the madness never ends when you strive for the absolute best image quality settings at minimal benefit.

Not me lol. I thought that card was mainly for business. As it's going to be prices insanely high.
post #128 of 142 Old 05-18-2012, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

When i bought the 580 I knew I was buying a BIT of future proofing and in many ways its succeeded in that regard. Because I can get a very good overclock out of it, that helps too.....so yeah I am content to stay here and no, most of the time the features I turn off to save frames "SSAO", for example, is usually poorly implemented that I find it more of a distraction than a help in some games......some effects aren't worth the performance hit.....so I don't miss them.

post #129 of 142 Old 05-18-2012, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Negative on the input lag...but first thing with input lag is to turn of VSYNC....see if that helps anything or not........I think I run VSYNC off and get no tearing in the game that I notice. Been awhile since I fired it up...

I get a ton of tearing with V sync off. I've been using the adaptive V sync feature for it. It's annoyingly bad. I know there's not way it's my PC. This thing is a beast! Was hoping people might have some insight on a possible fix. But I will try to disable VSYNC.
post #130 of 142 Old 05-18-2012, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JukeBox360 View Post

Not me lol. I thought that card was mainly for business. As it's going to be prices insanely high.

The first card announced to use the GK110 chip is for the enterprise class, but there's still talk about gaming cards based on it. Regardless, my real point is there will always be something better.
post #131 of 142 Old 05-18-2012, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The first card announced to use the GK110 chip is for the enterprise class, but there's still talk about gaming cards based on it. Regardless, my real point is there will always be something better.

True. It's all about being happy with what works for YOU. Don't go looking to see whats new if your happy with what you have. Otherwise. You will most likely end up really wanting something you don't need.

I'm a perfect example. There is no reason for me to own ANY 600 series cards in SLI. But I do. Why? Because I'm sure someday there will be a time when I'll actually need it. Unreal Engine 4 is my guess.
post #132 of 142 Old 05-18-2012, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Well now I'm a happy camper! Turns on the stuttering issue had nothing to do with SLI. Fix coming in June.
post #133 of 142 Old 05-18-2012, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yea no way I'd upgrade if I had a 580. I had a 295 and still not sure I did the right thing buying a 680 for $500. Although Selling the old 295 for $100 and then selling the asus hdav 1.3 sound card which I no longer need for $100 and BAM that made it $300 upgrade, which is the only reason I'm cool with it.

i7 4770K/16 gig 2133/GTX 680 840 PRO SSD

Paradigm Studio 100/570/20's/2200 Sub

Onkyo 809 42" LCD/Panny AE4000

post #134 of 142 Old 05-18-2012, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtv00 View Post

Yea no way I'd upgrade if I had a 580. I had a 295 and still not sure I did the right thing buying a 680 for $500. Although Selling the old 295 for $100 and then selling the asus hdav 1.3 sound card which I no longer need for $100 and BAM that made it $300 upgrade, which is the only reason I'm cool with it.

Sounds like you made it out ok to me. Seems we did around the same thing. Sell old parts to get new ones.

I mainly did it because I wanted to sell my stuff for a decent price while I still could. Every day I had it the value would just drop. Sold my old cards and MB for about $300 total.

Plus, it's nice knowing I have the fastest gaming set up possible. I know I'm not missing out in anything lol. Next up. 120Hz monitor!
post #135 of 142 Old 05-24-2012, 07:22 PM

Liked: 21
Quote:

The ASUS GTX 670 DirectCU II TOP is getting a lot of praise. It is overclocked to perform about the same as a stock GTX 680 (and better in some games) for what is stated to be $80 cheaper. Also, it is apparently virtually silent under load with just a two-slot cooler.

It seems to be an amazing card.

http://guru3d.com/article/asus-gefor...i-top-review/1

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/A..._Direct_Cu_II/

Thanks for posting these reviews. I read them a couple weeks ago and decided this card was the way to go. I was lucky enough to score one today on NewEgg before they sold out!
post #136 of 142 Old 05-24-2012, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

The only thing I don't like about it is the fact that it takes up 3 slots vs 2. The 680 is pretty dang quiet when gaming. Much quite then the 7970 I had before. So I'm happy.
post #137 of 142 Old 05-24-2012, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwatkins View Post

Thanks for posting these reviews. I read them a couple weeks ago and decided this card was the way to go. I was lucky enough to score one today on NewEgg before they sold out!

Cool. It's nice to see that ASUS got these cards out there in a reasonable amount of time. Enjoy!
post #138 of 142 Old 05-27-2012, 09:45 AM

Has anyone run the 670 on an Intel Q6600? If so, how were the framerates? I'm contemplating getting back into PC gaming, but the thought of spending $1000 or so for a complete upgrade has left me with cold feet. I'm only planning to play @ 1080P, so I'm hoping my Q6600 (OC'd to 3.4) will suffice for now. Thanks
post #139 of 142 Old 05-27-2012, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

A 670 will be starved pretty badly by a Q6600......will it suffice? Why not try it and see for yourself...if not, you'll know you need to go to Sandy or Ivy...

post #140 of 142 Old 05-27-2012, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadmanInc View Post

Has anyone run the 670 on an Intel Q6600? If so, how were the framerates? I'm contemplating getting back into PC gaming, but the thought of spending $1000 or so for a complete upgrade has left me with cold feet. I'm only planning to play @ 1080P, so I'm hoping my Q6600 (OC'd to 3.4) will suffice for now. Thanks

I imagine it's a bit of a bottle neck but you'll see get decent performance. I was running a 680 on the same CPU. Was still getting an average of 70/80 FPS on BF3.
post #141 of 142 Old 05-27-2012, 02:43 PM

Thanks guy's, I may end up giving it a go since my tax rebate arrived last week (I wait until the last moment to do this).
post #142 of 142 Old 05-27-2012, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadmanInc View Post

Thanks guy's, I may end up giving it a go since my tax rebate arrived last week (I wait until the last moment to do this).

As long as you enjoy gaming on PC I don't see why anyone wouldn't. The line up this year is down right amazing.
Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page