Temporary Freezing problem with some games, help! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 04-08-2012, 11:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hey guys!

I can understand there are many posts about this, but I am having problems with playing on many of my games on my new computer I built. Although I haven't experienced a crash on Battlefield 3 or Team Fortress 2 yet, I have had problems with some of my other games. A common problem is that my game might temporarily freeze for about every 5-10 minutes, sometimes the games crashes, sometimes only the audio plays. I have this problem with MW3, Oblivion, L.A. Noire, Sonic Generations, and even Garry's Mod and just now Counter Strike: Source. Performance varies such as in Oblivion can't keep itself stable even when the game stays above 60fps. All these games can still stay above 60FPS, yet can still have these problems. Turning off V-sync didn't help.

As much as I love my new Computer, I am frustrated by these problems, and I'm not sure if it's an overheating issue I'm having (BF2 and TF2 work fine I think even when BF3 is in it's stressful moments). The drivers are up to date, so I'm wondering what advice I could do it prevent these freezes/crashes.

My specs

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-D3
Processor: AMD FX-6100 6 core 3.4 Ghz
GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 285
RAM: Cosair XMS3 8gb (4GB X 2)
Hard Drive Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM
Power Supply: Antec 25 650W
Disk Drive: LG blu-ray burner
Case: Cool Master HAF 922
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 04-09-2012, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I'm going to go out on a limb and assume its the Nvidia driver resetting. And for the record, I had to go back to using an earlier version of Nvidia's drivers (285 to be exact) because all of their 290+ drivers have been an absolute nightmare for me, in many games 1080p (my monitors native resolution) isn't even available anymore and produces a corrupted graphics screen, like its trying to send a bizarre signal my monitor doesn't recognize.

Suggest you download MSI's "Afterburner" program and unlock the voltage ability for your video card. Then, increase the voltage slightly to the card to see if its whats causing it. (I have my system heavily overclocked and would get crashes, etc....feeding my videocard a little bit more power cleared up a lot of the problems.

Try it, can't hurt, good luck.

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page