Source games (portal 2, left 4 dead 2 etc) positional audio sucks? Hooked to AVR HDMI - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-12-2012, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
So for a long time I casually gamed on my HTPC, but stopped for a long time since I built my new rig a while back, then went through a process of upgrading all the components in my Living room, I finally got everything in place and since the sound system was amazing now, I decided to finally sit down and play some games in surround.

Since it was later at night and didn't want to play anything intense I went to the control panel, setup the speakers through the 6950s HDMI audio as 5.1, loaded up portal 2 and set it to 5.1, then played. It sounded great, nice, full...but I quickly noticed the positional audio sucked hard. The surrounds were overpowering and you couldn't really hear the fronts much at all.

So I went to bed, a bit dissapointed... a day later decided to try out some other games. Just cause 2 positional audio was good, Metro 2033, positional audio was good, Left 2 Dead 2....same crap surrounds were overpowering.

For example in Left 4 dead 2 lets say I am standing facing the group (they are a couple feet away) and they are talking.. it sounds very faint...but you can hear it up front. now if I just turn but not move to where they are now more to the side or behind me, it sounds like they are right next to me screaming in my ear. I turn toward them again and the audio drops down....way too low.

Before you go though and say you need to properly calibrate your system keep in mind it had already been calibrated by audyssey xt auto setup, movies work flawlessly and sound incredible, other games seem to work properly as well.... this seems to be limited to Source games.

System:
Silver stone gd04
Gigabyte 880 mobo
Corsair h60
Amd black 955
8gb DDR 3
Radeon 6950 latest cat drivers installed
Vertex 2 120gb for os
Wd black 1tb for games and etc
Lg bluray writer

Hooked via hdmi to my surround setup

Denon 3808ci
Paradigm cc-370 center channel
Paradigm studio 60 front left and right
Jbl control 5 surrounds
Outlaw audio lfm-1 plus subwoofer

Hdmi out to Mitsubishi 65" Dlp

Is this just a crappy implementation of sound in these games? Is there some tweak I need to do in their confgis or the console? I'm just dissapointed that my favorite games seem to be suffering this problem, I was looking forward to replaying portal, portal 2, and the half-life series.