Guild Wars 2 Beta on Triple Monitor - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 04-28-2012, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here is my video...I'm uploading a commentary as we speak and will be available on my channel later today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFeE1...layer_embedded

STEAM: Augcliffe
PSN: Augcliffe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 04-28-2012, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Here is another one with commentary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZPGkkKzjyA

post #3 of 18 Old 04-29-2012, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Nice setup.

I might have to check the game out. I played WoW but hated the monthly fees.
post #4 of 18 Old 04-29-2012, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

This game breaks the mold...it is revolutionary. I'm too lazy to type all the amazing things, but check it out. No monthly fee.

post #5 of 18 Old 04-30-2012, 07:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 21
this game has along ways to go to impress me, I didn't enjoy one minute this weekend in the beta

post #6 of 18 Old 05-01-2012, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Two different opinions...

I will have to check it out if Diablo 3 doesn't hold my interest long enough like Diablo 2 did
post #7 of 18 Old 05-01-2012, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threefiddie View Post

this game has along ways to go to impress me, I didn't enjoy one minute this weekend in the beta

I can't understand this. I would think it's sarcasm but you put a frowny face.

What didn't you like? The beautiful world? Fantastic combat? Underwater fighting? Intriguing group play? Attention to detail? Unique quest lines? Excellent PvP?

The only part I didn't like was the lag and unoptimized drivers, but let's be real, it's just beta.

post #8 of 18 Old 05-01-2012, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfoolery_79 View Post

What didn't you like? The beautiful world? Fantastic combat? Underwater fighting? Intriguing group play? Attention to detail? Unique quest lines? Excellent PvP?

The only part I didn't like was the lag and unoptimized drivers, but let's be real, it's just beta.

Everyone's taste can't be argued. Still, it would have been nice to have some infos on the flaws he found.
post #9 of 18 Old 05-01-2012, 03:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Pretty much how there is no introduction to the game and how to play it(they said today they are addressing this), getting completely wrecked in the Dynamic Events(being lvl 5 and having level 8 mobs wipe 50+ level 5s), people would corpse dance you and halfway res you out in the world during dynamic events(which is stupid you get xp for rezing people!), the pure ridiculousness of how hard some mobs are(again they said today they are toning it down), no clue where WvWvW was at or how to get to it(just more lack of hints and tooltips in the game), and just it ran like utter CRAP. i have an i7 2600k at 4.6ghz overclock and a gtx 570 classified and barely got over 35fps.

it just has a long ways to go, but most of the issues I had, they said today they are changing, adding, or tweaking.

and no i'm not trolling I have the CE paid for. Their response today has kept me hopefull. In fact I didn't even buy tera because I decided I'm throwing all my eggs in a basket at GW2. If it fails, I'm done with MMOs until Elder Scrolls Online(yes it exists, I have a friend at Zenimax Studios but I can't talk him into telling me more! :-( )

post #10 of 18 Old 05-01-2012, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Pretty much how there is no introduction to the game and how to play it(they said today they are addressing this), getting completely wrecked in the Dynamic Events(being lvl 5 and having level 8 mobs wipe 50+ level 5s), people would corpse dance you and halfway res you out in the world during dynamic events(which is stupid you get xp for rezing people!), the pure ridiculousness of how hard some mobs are(again they said today they are toning it down), no clue where WvWvW was at or how to get to it(just more lack of hints and tooltips in the game), and just it ran like utter CRAP. i have an i7 2600k at 4.6ghz overclock and a gtx 570 classified and barely got over 35fps.

it just has a long ways to go, but most of the issues I had, they said today they are changing, adding, or tweaking.

and no i'm not trolling I have the CE paid for. Their response today has kept me hopefull. In fact I didn't even buy tera because I decided I'm throwing all my eggs in a basket at GW2. If it fails, I'm done with MMOs until Elder Scrolls Online(yes it exists, I have a friend at Zenimax Studios but I can't talk him into telling me more! :-( )

Hmmm, have you not played MMORPG's before? I felt it was largely intuitive and user friendly. I agree about the zerg rushes at the end of regional events. I bet they ramped up the difficulty knowing there would be a crap ton of people in the zone for beta. That being said, I was not part of a single event that didn't eventually succeed.
You had people corpse dancing?!? Jerks!! On our server everyone was quick to help out and even went out of their way to rez people. Zero corpse dancing. Sounds like you got a bunch of 13 year olds on your server.

As far as performance goes, I couldn't agree more. I have an i7-930 and 2 - FTX 460's in SLI and was getting 20 FPS on low to medium. I have heard that SLI isn't supported yet though. Plus, NVIDIA/ATI have not released drivers that optimize towards this game. That will help a ton. Stick around

post #11 of 18 Old 05-02-2012, 05:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hmmm, have you not played MMORPG's before?

Unfortunately I've just about played all the major mmo's, but GW2 definitely has the most brutal starting area and class quests ever though, however I'm not done with it, especially since they announced they are adding and fixing alot with the opening levels.

post #12 of 18 Old 05-02-2012, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:

and just it ran like utter CRAP. i have an i7 2600k at 4.6ghz overclock and a gtx 570 classified and barely got over 35fps.

The Dev's stated there is a lot of debugging code in the beta releases so they can hammer out issues. Due to that, no system is going to run it smoothly, regardless of how bad it stomps the system requirements.
post #13 of 18 Old 05-02-2012, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Unfortunately I've just about played all the major mmo's, but GW2 definitely has the most brutal starting area and class quests ever though, however I'm not done with it, especially since they announced they are adding and fixing alot with the opening levels.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I just simply don't understand this. If and only if: you had never heard of this game, never read about it, never watched a preview or a video about it would your comments make sense. However, even if that were true, a MMO veteran should be able to walk in and figure out what's going on. You are the first and only person I've heard say negative things about "can't figure out what's going on".

I'm not fighting with you or arguing, I just simply can't figure you out. It's like we played 2 different games. After all, GW2 was designed for newbs off the street to just walk in and start "getting it". I am playing devil's advocate though because I don't want others turned off to what is shaping up to be one of the best games I've ever seen.

post #14 of 18 Old 05-02-2012, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Also, to get to PvP Battlegrounds and WvWvW you go to your hero page and it's the bottom icon on the left. I agree that it wasn't obvious or intuitive, but 60 secs of looking from a veteran MMO player could have found it.

post #15 of 18 Old 05-02-2012, 03:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I just simply don't understand this. If and only if: you had never heard of this game, never read about it, never watched a preview or a video about it would your comments make sense. However, even if that were true, a MMO veteran should be able to walk in and figure out what's going on. You are the first and only person I've heard say negative things about "can't figure out what's going on".

I'm not fighting with you or arguing, I just simply can't figure you out. It's like we played 2 different games. After all, GW2 was designed for newbs off the street to just walk in and start "getting it". I am playing devil's advocate though because I don't want others turned off to what is shaping up to be one of the best games I've ever seen.

apparently I'm not the only one considering they are nerfing the first couple of levels and putting in a tutorial on how to play. Perhaps you should look at the official beta forums with the numerous difficulty threads, combat clunky threads, and no true introduction to the game threads. Because of the feedback the game is getting an introductory tutorial, some mobs will have difficulty scaled down, and melee is getting worked on for combat reasons.

It has nothing to do with being an mmo veteran(and yes I played gw1 I have the Collector's edition sitting right here and yes I have already said I have GW2 Collector's Edition paid for...i know what gw2 since 2008 when it was announced) as this game is not like other mmo's or even gw1 what so ever. It definitely has a steeper learning curve and is less forgiving and at it's current state it can be punishing for certain people(this difficulty has been the "hot topic" on some gw2 podcasts and video podcasts I listen too this week so far). With that said, expect next beta weekend to be alot different in the introductory levels.

post #16 of 18 Old 05-03-2012, 05:03 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Ok, I do agree that it's not without it's faults. But to say you did not enjoy one minute is a shocking statement. Furthermore, the questing couldn't have been more obvious...you exit character creation, there is a quest that pops up right in the quest tracker. The quest tracker is where it is every other game, on the right hand side. You open the map and see the glowing green icon. Go and talk to him/her...they tell you what to do. In addition, as you walk around the world a big pop up in the middle of the screen says "nearby event"...open your map or mini-map and see a huge orange circle indicating the event. Walk to it and in the quest tracker pops up the objective. Not sure what could be easier. You don't even have to talk to NPC's to get the quest OR to turn it in.

Lastly, the difficulty I would say isn't hard, but it is difficult compared to other MMO's. What I mean is that GW2 is very level appropriate. In other MMORPG's...you can take on baddies 2-4 levels above you and come away alive. In GW2, if you are level 5 you are supposed to be fighting level 5 baddies. To go take on level 6 baddies is substantially more difficult than other games.

Thread of people that disagree on difficulty.
https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/foru...e/1#post155464

post #17 of 18 Old 05-03-2012, 05:33 AM
Advanced Member

after the first quests yes, but then you are left to discover that hearts on the maps mean quests. the game just had a lack of tooltips and hints to introduce you to a system that is different from other games, and because of that they are putting it in.

Yes people are split on difficulty but I can give an example of my lvl 6 class quests that i died 4 times on because my character couldn't handle 3-4 mobs that would pull every time in the instance for the quest. I lived after I killed them in the down state most of the time, but the damage output from the mobs were just way to high and at least they are toning the mobs output down just a little to bring it in to line just a little better.

I'm all up for challenge but for new and old players once the changes announced this week are implemented for CBE2 I think the feedback will be better from the community.

Problem is they don't even wanna say when CBE 2 is.... much less a release date. Just feel they are further off release date and now that they got money from the prepurchase deal they can afford to work on the game more and push it back. Just surprised they don't want more frequent testing instead of once a month as they have stated now.

post #18 of 18 Old 06-09-2012, 06:04 PM

I've been playing MMO's since I beta tested EQ years ago and there were only about 2000 of us in the final beta, man things have changed a bit over the years.

I'll have to check back again on this one as I have been anticipating GW2 awhile now and haven't played one since I left Rift awhile back I guess I took a break.

I still haven't plonked down the money for a pre-purchase and have just been watching reviews and videos, I imagine I will though.

I'm still ticked that Sony nerfed my Jedi in SWG years ago when they did CURB a few years into that MMO and ruined the game for everyone, I kind of grin everytime I see how badly SOny is doing lately since it was probably about that time their profits started declining, I don't know who's call that was but I and I know several others at the time swore never to play or purchase a Sony item again att :P
Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page