Will Steam eventually go to higher prices across the board? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 04-30-2012, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Both Steam and Amazon PC downloads have me very spoiled.

On the console side of the pond, I'm about as anti digital download as it gets. Why? Because I hate the fact that I can't sell my stuff to somebody else. Or give it to a little brother. Or a nephew. (eh, mostly cause I can't sell it myself and recoup some of the initial investment)

Yet, with PC gaming, Steam , Amazon and GamersGate are the places I buy my games from. All are digital downloads.

So what's the difference? Easy... I buy my games for about 5 bucks a game. At that price, I don't seem to mind the fact that all my rights as a gamer (that I enjoyed for 20 years) are gone out the window. I don't seem to mind or care, because the price is SO damn low. I mean 5 bucks.... 5 freaking bucks. I can't even go to a fast food joint and get a No.1 for 5 bucks. Heck, the other day I went to a Carls Jr. and got a Chicken Club combo and it cost damn near $8.50 ! So, 5 bucks is chump change.

Yet, the truth of the matter, is all those restrictions that I hated on console still apply. I can't sell the games back. I can't give them to a friend. I can't give them to my little brother (although they will still be installed on the hard drive..) Basically, all the rights went out the window with the PC games too, but because I'm buying all my games for $5 each, I don't give a damn..

How low is that?

Man... I never knew that I was the Joe Sixpack of PC gaming. The lowest common denominator. They guy that just wants the loss leader... But, I cannot tell a lie. On the PC side of gaming, I'm the cheapest basturd in town. Steam, Amazon and GamersGate have me with this new 5 dollar mentality. My backlog list is absolutely bursting at the seams, so why spend anymore? I have so many games just sittin on the hard drive, waiting to be played. Why buy anything for more than $5 ? That's been my policy now for probably the last 10 months or so. It's served me well, so I'm sticking to it, but I just feel that at some point.. this bubble is going to burst. This dream is going to die. Will Steam continue to have these amazing deals? Will we continue to get these amazing sales from Amazon PC downloads? Will GamersGate occasionally have a nice game on sale for a fiver?

Or, is the only reason we are getting these amazing deals is the fact that PC gaming is on life support, and the only way the sales really come, is if the price hits below the convenience factor of piracy. At 5 bucks per game, why bother stealing it? Is this why Steam and Amazon do this? They know that evenutally it has to go below to rock bottom just so people won't steal the games?

In the year 2017, will we still be able to get these deals for 5 bucks if we wait long enough? Or is this just a temporary thing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-01-2012, 04:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Who knows. The answer could be yes and it could be no. We'll see when the time comes. Now how's that for an answer?

Personally, I don't care either way. These heavy discounts got me to buy many games that I will likely never play. Maintaining original retail pricing will get me to be more selective, which is not a bad thing since one can only play so many games.
post #3 of 3 Old 05-01-2012, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 566
I agree with the opt except that ill still pay 60 for some select games. Diablo3 being my next full price game purchase. If I trust a game manufacturer I will pay full. Gears of War series I think I paid full price for each of them.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page