Opinions on AMD FX-8150 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-02-2012, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey all,

I currently have a Phenom II x4 965 (3.1GHz) and got to thinking: I do a LOT of gaming and HD video rendering, and Premiere can't handle GPU Acceleration with ATI cards. This means that it puts all of the load on the CPU. With that said...

I was looking at the FX-8150. It's an 8-Core 3.6GHz model. The awesome crowd on this subforum helped me build my PC over two years ago, and I value your input. If there is a better deal or better option (I have an AM3 CPU socket), then please do let me know.

Thanks
-RJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-03-2012, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Why not replace your AMD gpu with a NVidia gpu? Then you can have the gpu acceleration you lack. What AMD video card do you have now and how much does a comparable NVidia card cost compared to the FX-8150?
post #3 of 5 Old 05-03-2012, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhufnagel View Post

Why not replace your AMD gpu with a NVidia gpu? Then you can have the gpu acceleration you lack. What AMD video card do you have now and how much does a comparable NVidia card cost compared to the FX-8150?

I just got my 6970 not too long ago because my 560Ti was giving me a crazy amount of driver issues (kept crashing even after Windows clean install).

I'd rather not replace my GPU if I can avoid it. I was toying with the idea of getting a 285 since I could find one for relatively cheap and it's compatable, but I've heard the two brands don't play nice with each other.
post #4 of 5 Old 05-04-2012, 07:49 AM

Hi,

I have an 8150 and I like it. It reduced my rendering time in handbrake tremendously. If I had to do it over, I would go for the 8120. Its cheaper and you would be able to overclock this chip to the same speed as the 8150 very easily. Newegg has them on sale for $160 right now with code EMCNENF24.

XBOX Live: MaHawkma
PSN: woster
Steam: MaHawkma

post #5 of 5 Old 05-16-2012, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbfreak View Post

Hey all,

I was looking at the FX-8150. It's an 8-Core 3.6GHz model. The awesome crowd on this subforum helped me build my PC over two years ago, and I value your input. If there is a better deal or better option (I have an AM3 CPU socket), then please do let me know.

Thanks
-RJ

Doesn't the FX series require an AM3+ socket? You may need a new board.
Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page