Personal experience and preference on Video Cards - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-07-2012, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Over the past three months I've been working on acquiring pieces for a Gaming/HTPC build. So far I've got almost everything, but I am stuck on pulling the trigger on a video card. I'll outline the parts I DO have below, but my query is between three cards. The first is a tried and true go-to for most; the nVidia GTX 560Ti. It has been on the list for "Best $200-$300" card for months, but it's getting a little long in the tooth when it comes to lifespan. The second is the newer AMD Radeon HD7850 which has recently made its way on to a few of the $200-$300 lists: it's almost brand new and up-to-date (driver issues be damned). The last is the forthcoming nVidia GTX 660 kepler card, which might keep me waiting a couple more months. Whichever I go with, there's a chance I might pick up a second one in the future. For my purposes, I will be doing video games (racing and FPS mostly) and media on a 1920x1080 screen. With a wide community here, I wanted to get some info on personal experience with the 560 or the 7850.

Processor: AMD FX-8120
Mobo: ASUS 5A990X EVO
Memory: Corsair Vengance DDR3 1866
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB
SSD: Samsung 830 128GB
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Case: Corsair Carbide 400r
PSU: Kingwin 850watt

Still missing a BR drive, but that's not too big of a decision.

P.S. don't you just love first-world problems
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-07-2012, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked: 476
Traditionally, Nvidia has provided more robust OpenGL drivers than AMD/ATI has. I dunno what fraction of your games are based on OpenGL vs DirectX. For the short term, you might consider getting just about the cheapest graphics card available which includes an HDMI output, just so you can debug its HTPC functionality. Gaming is straight-forward in comparison.

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
post #3 of 4 Old 06-07-2012, 03:00 PM

Liked: 93
I desperately miss the driver quality on my old Nvidia cards. My 6870 is a great piece of hardware, but it's drivers are garbage in both 3x monitor and 1080p TV uses. AMD seems to have focused purely on single, normal monitor use, ignoring what we want to use it for.
post #4 of 4 Old 06-08-2012, 02:29 PM

Liked: 10
I am an absolute fan of Nvidia cards, but sadly none of their cards can do 3D in my setup. I had the money to buy a 680 and had to return it because of this issue. Now I have a 7970 which is ok for second best!
Reply HTPC Gaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page