questions about building new rig - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 06-20-2012, 04:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My last build was Aug 2007. I am very much behind the times and technology.
Some of the sites I used last time to get suggested component lists no longer seem to offer that
Any suggestions welcomed.

If you have a 120gb SSD and a second standard HD, does only the OS go on the SSD and you install all games and software on the HD.

I hope to go with an I5 or maybe I7, but need suggestion for good rock solid MB and aftermarked cooler. I prob won't OC, but reliability is paramount

thanks
Dan

Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-20-2012, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_B_0673 View Post

If you have a 120gb SSD and a second standard HD, does only the OS go on the SSD and you install all games and software on the HD.

Install the OS and all core programs on the 120GB SSD. Install your games on the hard drive, but you can move any game you are currently playing to the SSD and then back to the hard drive when you are no longer playing it.

To do the latter, you can use the Steam Mover program. If you do not want to use an extra program to do this, then you can simply use the "mklink /J [old directory] [new directory]" command in Windows' command prompt after manually moving the relevant folder(s). I personally use the second option and have had no problems with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_B_0673 View Post

I hope to go with an I5 or maybe I7, but need suggestion for good rock solid MB and aftermarked cooler. I prob won't OC, but reliability is paramount

The stock cooler is perfectly fine if you have no plans to overclock and are going to use a non-"K" Intel processor. If you still want something better but quite affordable, then look at the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO.

As for motherboard suggestions, the ASUS P8Z77-V LK is a great value board if you will only be using one or two graphics cards.
post #3 of 3 Old 06-20-2012, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 View Post

Install the OS and all core programs on the 120GB SSD. Install your games on the hard drive, but you can move any game you are currently playing to the SSD and then back to the hard drive when you are no longer playing it.
To do the latter, you can use the Steam Mover program. If you do not want to use an extra program to do this, then you can simply use the "mklink /J [old directory] [new directory]" command in Windows' command prompt after manually moving the relevant folder(s). I personally use the second option and have had no problems with it.
The stock cooler is perfectly fine if you have no plans to overclock and are going to use a non-"K" Intel processor. If you still want something better but quite affordable, then look at the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO.
As for motherboard suggestions, the ASUS P8Z77-V LK is a great value board if you will only be using one or two graphics cards.

thanks, that will get me started

Dan
Reply HTPC Gaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page