Problem with Receiver pretending to be a display. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 07-26-2012, 01:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Alright.

So, I have my Receiver hooked up to my PC. Been this way for months, previously I used a DVI to HJDMI adapter and it got rid of the issues I had with my computer detecting the Receiver as a Display. It Extended my desktop, so basically, my mouse / or whatever I am doing, goes off into no mans land. It's very unacceptable in gaming, or just most anything. I can lose my mouse for awhile.

But now the problem is back again; because I have a new Monitor, and it's DVI-D Dual Link..and sadly there is no DVI-D Dual Link to HDMI connectors or wires.

Plenty of sites, such as Amazon claim to have them. But all reviews state they are Single Link.

This is unacceptable, as well, my monitor is 1440p and without a Scalar. So if I use Single Link, I am limited to 1080p and it doesn't look good because my GPU is doing the scaling.

I've tried the "Clone my desktop" bit, doesn't help. I've tried the "Multiple Display" bit, it works but limits me to blurry 1080p.

I've tried turning it off...and that removes it...and the sound also. I am at a loss.

What can I do here? The annoying part is HDMI is SUPPOSED to be able to carry 2560 x 1440p, according to technical specifications, 1.3 could, and my monitor, and my Receiver are 1.4a , yet googling shows that all monitors for some reason internally limit this to 1920 x 1200 / 1080. Bandwidth issues, I don't know.

But it's a rather frustrating situation - Can anyone think of a solution?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 07-26-2012, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Have you considered using separate video and audio connections? e.g. VGA from computer to display, with HDMI only for audio.

Selden
post #3 of 15 Old 07-26-2012, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I've been experimenting with using a second video card as a dedicated sound/phsyX device, and disabling the motherboard sound. Call me cheap, but I want to find use for aging hardware. It works pretty well although I cringe when the projector searches for a signal at times. Even though I try to force feed it, it seems to have a mind of its own. Nvidia digital audio setup makes it simple. As far as the DVI to HDMI cable I use the 3DVision kit cable to the display, and a generic one to the receiver for sound.

It's not perfect, but it works pretty well for the most part. I still get the occasional driver crash, but I doubt most people try this sort of thing.
post #4 of 15 Old 07-26-2012, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

Have you considered using separate video and audio connections? e.g. VGA from computer to display, with HDMI only for audio.

Huh?

Did you read my post?
post #5 of 15 Old 07-27-2012, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

You have said that you are unable to get any video signal other than 1920x1080 through your HDMI connection. Therefore, to get higher resolution video from your computer to your display, you will have to use some other video connection, and not HDMI through the receiver to the display. A "VGA" (15-pin) video cable will not have the video bandwidth limitation that HDMI has.

You could still use HDMI to get high quality audio from your computer to the receiver.

Selden
post #6 of 15 Old 07-27-2012, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter

My monitor only has DVI-D Dual Link.

And I am using audio over HDMI.

The issue is that when I USE HDMI to get audio.

I use the HDMI audio out from my NVIDIA card.

I have a separate cable, the DVI-D Dual Link cable, going from my monitor to my video card. As you said, and as I said in the first post.

All is well.

Except my computer detects it as as a secondary monitor.

So, I have an invisible monitor...hence my mouse goes off screen and...yeah, into no where, as dos ome windows, some desktop icons, and some games that aren't programmed the best.

Disabling said fake monitor, or telling Windows "Do not display secondary monitor" ect, shuts the sound off.

You see my issue?
post #7 of 15 Old 07-27-2012, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Have you tried connecting both HDMI and DVI from the PC to the same display?
(with HDMI going through the receiver)

Depending on the design of the display, when you select its DVI input, it might send an appropriate "display is disconnected" signal through the receiver to the PC. This might persuade the PC not to try to use it.

A related issue is that transmitting an audio signal usually requires transmitting a video signal, too. However, my experience has been that turning off the display only disables the audio temporarily (for less than a second) while the receiver and sound source renegotiate. Apparently the usability of this feature depends on the firmware in the receiver. (My experience doing this has been with a Vizio HD TV, Marantz receiver and Pioneer blu-ray player playing a CD, though, not with my Dell laptop as an HDMI audio source. I'll give the latter a try tonight to see what happens.)

Selden
post #8 of 15 Old 07-27-2012, 11:58 AM

Odd, my setup has never done the problem you are describing, at least not yet. At one point I had everything working perfectly, and then I added Lucid to the mix, which was like tossing in a hand grenade. HDMI is more trouble than it's worth I think, but it does make blu ray movies sound nice.
post #9 of 15 Old 07-27-2012, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

I just now tried playing multichannel FLAC using VLC from my laptop over HDMI (Nvidia 3100M hardware) to a Marantz receiver. When I turned off the TV, the computer stopped sending audio over its HDMI connection although VLC continued to advance its progress bar. In other words, it's not a problem which has a trivial solution.

I still suggest trying both connections simultaneously. It might work if you're lucky.

Selden
post #10 of 15 Old 07-27-2012, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

I don't understand what you mean.

Both connections are at the same time...

I have a HDMI cable, going from my Receiver to my GPU's HDMI output.

I have a DVI-Dual Link cable going from my DVI-D Output on my GPU to my monitors input.

There's no other configuration I can see.
post #11 of 15 Old 07-28-2012, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm suggesting connecting the HDMI output of your receiver to your new display in addition to the direct DVI connection. If necessary, use an HDMI-to-DVI adapter. That way the HDMI connection on the receiver would be connected to a real display, and the computer would detect a "real" display instead of generating an "invisible" one.

I suspect it won't help, but I'm not sure, and it can't hurt to try. (My computer turns off the HDMI audio when there's no display to send an HDMI video signal to, I suspect this is true for your computer, too. But maybe not.)

I'm afraid this is a "you can't get there from here" situation, since you've reported that your current display is not compatible with your receiver's HDMI implementation.

For audio to be sent over HDMI from the computer, the computer needs to send video along with it. They use the same wires in the cable, with the video signal determining the clock frequency for both video and audio. The receiver's HDMI output needs to be connected to a functioning display, so the computer will turn on the HDMI video so the audio can be transmitted.

This suggests another workaround: buy the cheapest hi-def HDMI-capable TV you can find and connect it to the receiver's HDMI output. You don't have to look at it. A 720p TV would probably be adequate. Of course, you also could use it as a secondary display, although it'd be at a different resolution from your primary display.

Selden
post #12 of 15 Old 07-28-2012, 10:15 PM

My suggested solution is go optical. Simple, stable, and it sounds just as good to me. Getting HDMI to work reliably is like arguing with a woman: even if you win you still lose.
post #13 of 15 Old 07-29-2012, 01:38 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, my monitor only has..DVI-D.

And using a connector, will still limit it to 1080p, as I've said above, that is no solution.

And your solution of a second TV is a terrible idea...that'd lower performance and increase power costs.

And Optical is not a solution...my GPU only has HDMI. I have a sound card, but removed, as it doesn't fit with my Custom GPU cooler in the case.

I had a HDMI tO DVI adapter and it works for 1080p, but no HDMi to Dual-Link DVI Adapters exist. Only fakes.
post #14 of 15 Old 07-29-2012, 01:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Does your monitor and graphics card have a DisplayPort connector? Many newer monitors support DisplayPort, especially high resolution monitors such as 2560x1440p. DisplayPort can be used to output more specific resolutions not enforced by the standards of HDMI, although both are very similar.
post #15 of 15 Old 07-29-2012, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mkilbride,

As I wrote before, and as you keep confirming, it really seems that "you can't get there from here". Something has to be replaced for you to be able to use HDMI audio. To get higher than standard FHD resolution (1920x1080) you'll have to upgrade the receiver (getting one which passes 4K video) and you'll probably have to replace the display (getting one which has a native resolution matching one of the receiver's supported "4K" resolutions). Neither is going to be inexpensive. As you've found, trying to use computer-grade equipment instead of home-entertainment equipment with HDMI is an exercise in futility.

Sorry.

Selden
Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page