AMD HTPC 3D Gaming - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 07-31-2012, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So I noticed there's a decent amount of info in regards to 3D gaming via nVidia's 3D Vision, but little to no info for AMD's HD-3D. This post will hopefully answer some questions people might have.

My Computer:
AMD FX-4170 overclocked to 4.6 (no voltage bump required)
CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ heatsink
8GB (4GB x 2) G*Skill DDR3-2133
MSI AMD HD-7770 GHz Edition overclocked to 1100 core
128GB Crucial M3 SSD
500GB Samsung Spinpoint F3 Storage Drive
Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit
Corsair 600W power supply
Asus DVDRW
Asus PCE-N53 PCI-E 1.0 Dual Band Wireless N card.
Logitech Wireless K400 Keyboard
Microsoft XBox 360 controller for Windows

Projector, Screen, Speakers, & Glasses:
Optoma GT750
Optoma RF Rechargeable 3D glasses (rumor has it they are just rebranded Monster RF's)
103" Screen made from BOC
3" border made from black felt cloth
Sony 5.1 surround sound connected via optical cable

Games Tested:
Elderscrolls Skyrim
World of Warcraft Cataclysm

Configuration and Setup:
I installed the latest AMD Catalyst drivers and the CCC. I then plugged in the projector via HDMI. CCC recognized the projector and the model number. I set the screen resolution to the projectors native resolution: 720p @ 120. I then adjusted the Overscan in CCC so that the desktop filled my screen.

After getting CCC setup I went to Tri-Def's AMD page. I ran the verifier and it came back that all my hardware was AMD 3D compatible so I got half off the purchase. I paid them the $24.99, downloaded the software, installed it, and then activated it. Tri-Def found the compatible games automatically. You must launch the games through the Tri-Def software.

Skyrim
Pros: Skyrim looks spot on. Everything is where is should be. Game looks absolutely amazing in 3D. The graphics are awesome. My 7770 didn't have any issues running it at 720p in 3D.

Cons: Some of the text looks like it's going through your character. Most of the game is voice-overs though so this is a very minor issue.

World of Warcraft
Pros:WoW looked pretty good. Graphics were decent (for WoW). Running around Stormwind was pretty cool, looked like you were actually in a town.

Cons: Water looked weird. You MUST turn off nameplates or the screen just has too much stuff on it. Would look better if you could switch into first person view.

Misc: I also tried the 2D -> 3D DVD player and it worked surprisingly well. Way better then I thought it would work.

I'll update this post as I try more games. I just built the system a few days ago. If you have any questions feel free to ask!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-31-2012, 10:42 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Awesome stuff....keep us updated

TV - Samsung DLP 4674W
Receiver - Pioneer 1015-K
Speakers - Polk 6901 (7.1 setup)
Sub - PSW303
DVD - LG 3510A
post #3 of 14 Old 07-31-2012, 11:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Check out the iz3d driver. It's alot more up to date, has extremely extensive support for various products and alot more options for dealing with things like text through the character. Last I checked they may have a free driver for people with amd cards using the amd 3d system (may have been 3d dlp though)

Edit: It's actually a trial for ati 3d, but I believe prices are extremely competitive for the software and they are leaps and bounds ahead of tridef in my experience, last I heard tridef doesn't provide actual 3d (faked) but that could also help for performance.
post #4 of 14 Old 08-02-2012, 08:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
iZ3D, Inc. Discontinues Operations
Over the last year iZ3D reorganized the company to better respond to changing 3D market conditions and to promote joined marketing with 3rd party 3D hardware providers.
However, despite diligent efforts to join forces with other 3D companies and despite initiating an Open Source project, iZ3D was unable to secure new relationships and new funding. Regretfully, because of lacking funds, iZ3D is no longer able to meet financial obligations. Therefore these financial realities force iZ3D, Inc to discontinue its operations on July 31, 2012.

Many thanks to our customers and partners for the support extended in the past.

Due to iZ3D Discontinuing Operations on July 31st, 2012, licenses for this driver are no longer available.
Users may continue using the free Anaglyph output, but all other outputs will cease to function after the 30-day trial.

So how can we get the AMD driver now without having it expire after 30 days?
post #5 of 14 Old 08-02-2012, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member

I wasn't aware they shutdown, it's a real shame as they had the best 3d support for people without nvidia cards. You might be able to just reinstall the program after 30 days, there is another way but it can't be discussed here biggrin.gif
How did you get the tridef software? Is it part of a package deal with amd hd3d or did you just buy it?
post #6 of 14 Old 08-02-2012, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

http://www.tridef.com/cart/pages.php?pageid=5

There's a hardware verification program you download. If both your video card and display are AMD HD3D authorized then you get the special pricing.

I don't know how TriDef could get any better. Someone mentioned it's not real 3D?? If this is fake 3D then I'm all for fake 3D!! Granted I've only played two games so far, and only one of those for very long, but Skyrim in TriDef 3D looks amazing, it has me re-hooked on Skyrim again.

After the Olympics are done I'll have more time to test out other games. I'll update this when I do.
post #7 of 14 Old 08-03-2012, 09:52 AM
Advanced Member

Yeah that was me who mentioned the 3d implementation differences. I probably spoke to soon though. After re reading this thread it looks like i was reffering to the virtual 3d option :http://www.tridef.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=166
I\ll have to do a little more reading and see if I can find the implementation page I remember reading but maybe Trdef is just better optimized allowing for better performance. It's great that it's working for you though, I couldn't get t working with some of the games i tried due to the lack of dx10 and colorcode support if I remeber correctly.
post #8 of 14 Old 08-03-2012, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 164
For what it's worth, a select few games do support AMD cards in 3D without any third-party driver. If I'm remembering correctly, Arkham City and Deus Ex Human Revolution are two of those.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #9 of 14 Old 08-04-2012, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Day View Post

There's a hardware verification program you download. If both your video card and display are AMD HD3D authorized then you get the special pricing.
I don't know how TriDef could get any better. Someone mentioned it's not real 3D?? If this is fake 3D then I'm all for fake 3D!! Granted I've only played two games so far, and only one of those for very long, but Skyrim in TriDef 3D looks amazing, it has me re-hooked on Skyrim again.
After the Olympics are done I'll have more time to test out other games. I'll update this when I do.

Thanks for letting us know about this software. I picked it up yesterday to try on my 3dtv and it worked like a charm. I can confirm its real 3d, as I have seen real 3d games on my ps3. Dunno if could soley play on this setup too much strain on the eyes. I will probaly stick to Eyefinity for the longer gaming sessions. biggrin.gif

PSN:The_Wise_Guy
XBL:DirtySanWiseGuy
Steam:The_Wise_Guy
BF4 PC:The_Wise_Guy

post #10 of 14 Old 12-27-2012, 05:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 132
I may as well post my query in this thread since it's relevant to my query:

Hi guys, I signed up here to get some tips if you have any, regarding this new BenQ W1070 3D projector I bought. It's pretty snazzy, looks great, and pretty fun in Skyrim and Batman Arkham City.

Ideally I'd like to get 3D working in a widescreen custom resolution, like 1920x808 or 1920x816 for that cinemascope feel. It works in 2D in Skyrim and many other games and movies, but once I go into 3D it's completely borked. I'm using Tridef and an AMD 6970 (well, modded 6950), and getting the refresh rate to work at 1920x816 to 24 or 30hz was a pain, but I managed to eventually (since the PJ cannot function at more than 1080p/30hz due to HDMI 1.4a bandwidth limitations).

My question is...has anyone with an AMD setup and either a projector or a 3D monitor, using Tridef, managed to get around the OpenGL error with custom ultrawidescreen resolutions? I avoided using AMD HD3D setting in the Tridef control panel so it doesn't try to use 60hz, and use just Direct3D Stereo mode so that it uses my desktop res+refresh, but as soon as I drop down from 1080p / 30hz or 24hz, to 1920x816/24 or 30, I get that infamous Direct3d Error 00...something in the tridef ignition.

It was insanely annoying getting 24 and 30hz working in 2D at that custom res, using a bunch of software and registry settings and tweaks, and once I finally got it, it still doesn't work.

I guess this means == No Skyrim ultrawide + 3D for AMD users?
post #11 of 14 Old 12-27-2012, 06:00 PM

Liked: 93
1080p/30 3D for games is pretty foul. The judder is overbearing. My recommendation? Start with 720p/60 3D and custom res down from there. The overall experience will be better. Not as sharp, but motion that is so much better as to not induce vomiting.

As to the problem? Turn GPU scaling on, leave your desktop at normal 1080p/720p, and add a custom resolution in the AMD control panel. If that doesn't work, then you've probably just run in to one of the many areas where AMD 3D is simply poorly implemented.
post #12 of 14 Old 12-28-2012, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter

I've only attempted to game in 3D at the normal default 720p resolution, so I have no idea.
post #13 of 14 Old 01-01-2013, 08:06 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Day View Post

Tridef offer real 3D (each eye view rendered separately) and fake 3D. The fake 3D called power 3D i think is the best fake 3D i've ever seen. Thats not to say i wouldn't avoid using fake 3D like the plague...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #14 of 14 Old 01-04-2013, 09:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 132
I often have a hard time telling which mode is better, myself

I'll compare 720p/60 with 1080i/60 SBS. I also think there might be a more optimal sweet spot at 50hz x 2 = 100hz (much of the world watches PAL in 50hz don't seem to complain too much), but in something like 1726 x 736 to max out the hdmi input bandwidth.

The slightly less overall resolution is offset by the more than OK 50hz improvement over 30hz, and the projector should be able to scale it out to use all the pixels. Sure, it's not 1:1, but then again, a projector isn't 1:1 anyway on your wall, the light is scaled and mangled all kinds before it hits your eyes. As long as the built-in stretcher works well (and mine does), it might be a decent solution to max out the quality for gaming.
Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page