Twin 670's Overclocked...BUT I MUST HAVE MORE POWER! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 08-02-2012, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 41
...ok I'm kind of being nutty right now...

I replaced my highly overclockable GTX 580 (940mhz on the core stable on stock air) with a pair of GTX 670's Asus DirectCU models.

The main difference is the fan noise...with the 670's, there isn't any. Even at 100% fan, the 670's are just slightly louder than the 580 was at say 50% fan speed.

I can do +125Mhz on the core and mem, at 100% power before things get iffy. If I try to up the power to 105 or 110, things start to go wacky. My 750w PS may be starving one of the cards? Hard to say....but thermally I'm close regardless.

My HEAVEN benchmark with extreme tessellation, 8xAA and 16xaf + the checkbox for AO turned ON.....in other words as extreme as you can make it WITHOUT touching the sliders, at 1080p I get 77.2fps stock and 83.1 with the overclock.

The DirectCU's run stock at I think a boost speed of 1052, so one runs at like 1220 while the other might run at 1275 or so.....the first one is starved for air and runs hotter.....at my current overclock, running HEAVEN the first card flirts with 69c at 100% max fan, and I think the 670's throttle at 70....

regardless, any further attempts at overclocking will push my temps over the limit and give me only 1 or 2 more frames.....

It seems that the 670's in SLI are equal to a GTX 590 in almost all cases at my 1080p resolution.......and $200+ less.

I probably made the right decision going this route, but I keep wondering if I should have gone with 2 680's and overclocked them.

Probably wont amount to much at 1080p...useless frames.......

GTA4 I fired up and where it ran at 40 before, now it runs at 65...but still drops into the 50's...that game is just not caring about my GPU's......my processor is pegged at 4.8Ghz.

On the A new Dawn demo I get about 30fps...sometimes its 25 or 26, other times its 35.......but I think that demo is optimized for the extra shaders that the 680 has that the 670's have turned off.

Time to put the 580 out to pasture......and see what Crysis is like at a steady 60fps with FXAA turned on biggrin.gif

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-03-2012, 06:58 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I have one Asus 670 DC2T and I'm loving it. I haven't even tried to OC it because it runs everything I throw at it with max settings at 1920x1080 with high frame rates, with the exception of Metro 2033 which I attribute to my weak CPU (Phenom II 955). I have a custom fan curve set up and the highest temp I've ever seen is 57C at 63% fan speed (completely silent) whle playing BF3 at max settings. This is a huge improvement over my XFX 6870 that idled at 50C at 50% fan speed.
post #3 of 7 Old 08-03-2012, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRusch View Post

I probably made the right decision going this route, but I keep wondering if I should have gone with 2 680's and overclocked them.
Probably wont amount to much at 1080p...useless frames.......
You should have gone with the 680s if your primary goal is to piss away even more money. biggrin.gif

Enjoy gaming with the 670s and don't look back.
post #4 of 7 Old 08-04-2012, 01:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 36
JmWatkins: You shouldn't attribute metro's low performance to a quad core phenom ii, I used an athlon ii x2 in that game with a gtx 460 and had no cpu bottleneck whatsoever. If I remember correctly the main settings in metro that cause sizeable performance drops are physx (a good 10-15 fps drop but damn does it look good biggrin.gif ) and advanced depth of field found under the advanced direct x 11 settings (can easily cut the frame rate in half or even less for little graphical improvement). Turn off advance dof if it is turned on and you should be cruising along at 60 no problem with a beast like the gtx 670.

To the op: you need a multi monitor setup to tax those, 1080p is a joke for them, even 1 may very well chew Crysis 2 up and spit it out at 60 frames with fxaa. You should probably use better aa for a game like Crysis, fxaa can blur the image slightly. Try full msaa, csaa or even super sampling via the inspector utility.
post #5 of 7 Old 08-04-2012, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik James View Post

JmWatkins: You shouldn't attribute metro's low performance to a quad core phenom ii, I used an athlon ii x2 in that game with a gtx 460 and had no cpu bottleneck whatsoever. If I remember correctly the main settings in metro that cause sizeable performance drops are physx (a good 10-15 fps drop but damn does it look good biggrin.gif ) and advanced depth of field found under the advanced direct x 11 settings (can easily cut the frame rate in half or even less for little graphical improvement). Turn off advance dof if it is turned on and you should be cruising along at 60 no problem with a beast like the gtx 670.

I know what you're saying about the physx. It's just me wishing I had 2500K biggrin.gif . If I turn everything to max in DX11 on Metro, I struggle at about 20fps. With DX11 on and the DX11 goodies off, I get 30-40fps. In DX9 with max settings, I get 60fps no problem. When I did my playthrough, I was using a 6870 with DX9 settings on high and it was still a damn fine looking game and I almost got 60fps.
post #6 of 7 Old 08-04-2012, 03:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Currently I have a 6950 running along side my dual core so....yeah It pretty much bottlenecks everything other than crysis and metro. I got a deal on the 6950 at 140$ that i couldn't pass up and haven't had the cash to a grab a phenom yet. It's definetly the advanced dof that's causing the problems, you can run tesselation in metro without incurring to much of a performance hit, I think i was running somewhere around 30 fps with the gtx 460 on direvt x 11 high with physx turned on and advanced dof turned off but it was a while ago and I may have switched to direct x 10 or 9 to mitigate some issues I was having with performance slowing to a crawl at random and seemingly for no reason (memory issues from 768mb? and dx11 aa)
post #7 of 7 Old 08-09-2012, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I bought these cards figuring I could transplant them into the next CPU path I take.....maybe, maybe not......the 580 wasn't quite cutting it in a few games and the fan noise was loud, really loud actually.......to those used to 560/580/AMD fan noises, the 670's at 100% fan speed will freak you out.....you wont think they're working (I didn't, I went around back and sure enough they were spinning fast)....

re: Multi-Monitor.....its not for me, I've tried it a few times and I just don't like it...bezels, I just find them too distracting, like I'm always aware I'm looking at an enthusiast hack while gaming.....moving from the overclocked 580 to the overclocked 670 was a bit of a lateral move, if we're using 60fps as the benchmark, I knew going for 2 was overkill.....I didn't mind.

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page