Please help me upgrade or buy a new PC - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 52 Old 08-03-2012, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/dell-studio-xps-122b/4505-3118_7-33556483.html

that’s my pc. it's connected w/ HDMI to a Sony 55-a3000. It’s done me well over the years. Played any game on setting I was completely happy with. High, some even ultra. That is any games, except the ones I like the most. Fallouts and Skyrim. It just can’t handle the great outdoors, at least not with all the mods I add, but even just vanilla Skyrim is giving me lotsa lag and stutter outside. Dungeons are fine. What it’s doing that I just hate is stutter or even stop for seconds when crossing into a new outdoor zone, and lots of stutter when looking around fast, especially if there’s followers behind me or lotsa npcs. And mods make it worse. Mods that add spawns, ENB, better textures (even the performance ones). I’ve searched and tried every tweak and trick I could find over the last 4 years. not many have helped. The 4GB Enabler helped w/ Fallout, and compressing the textures and BSAs have helped w/ Skyrim. But I’m tired of spending untold hours searching out tweaks that don’t even help much.

So my goal is to play Skyrim and Fallouts w/ NO stutter or lag, a decent FPS (40+), and with mods that add npc spawns. The Hi-res, and ENB lighting would be nice but not a real requirement if upgrading. If going new I want the whole shebang tho! . I know it’ll need a video card and power supply (think it has a 350 in it now). But it might need extra cooling and a new case too. The case only has a 1 ½” by 4” row of slits for the vents on either side. The 4850 in it CONSTANTLY runs around 60 idle and 85-100C playing games. I used to get worried but have read numerous times that the 4850 runs hot like that. Anyways, if I can upgrade this one to play Skyrim like I would like to, then I’d rather upgrade. Provided the cost is not over say 50-60% of buying new. If it’s be more than that, think I’d rather go new. Also I’m told that Skyrim and Fallout need a good CPU too, so not sure if that would need replacing. Read about a Solid state something but not sure what that’s about.

As for new, gimme you thoughts on that too please. I’m an old gamer and fairly new to the PC, plus my eyes are bad now with small stuff so I’d probably have Microcenter locally build it, or maybe a reputable online place if shipping wasn’t a killer. If there’s a pre-built out there that would do what I want, then even better. That’s why I got the one I have 4 years ago, because it was all built in a box lol. I’d like to keep new to around $1300 or less, but if going new I also want it to be a beast. I mean play Skyrim and other games over the next 3-4 years, like it’s it’s damn job! Lighting mods, extra spawns, no lag or stutter. The whole works.

Any suggestions on upgrades or example builds please include links or exact names I can search for. It would be much appreciated. Help this old gamer take gaming up a notch! thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 Old 08-03-2012, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 216
Whats your budget for a custom built? Still the $1300? I'll tell you right now, building a $1300 pc will demolish any pre-built for $1300. Give me a bit and I'll get you a parts list. Since this is an HTPC I'm assuming you don't need a monitor, keyboard, or mouse?

Motherboard - $200

CPU - $290

RAM - $88

Power Supply - $110

SSD for OS and Major Programs - $100

SATA 6gb/s 1TB HDD for Data - $150

You can get an nVidia GTX 670 2gb, or an AMD Radeon HD7950 3gb video card for around $350 ish, so that's up to you.

Total comes out to right about $1300. No idea where you live so I can't estimate shipping, but here in Cali its about $20 bucks. (And we have to pay tax cuz they're based here.

I didn't bother with a case since those are usually less than $50 unless you want something super fancy.

I will say that a rig like this is probably overkill for an HTPC, but you did say you wanted to run Skyrim and New Vegas with mods and good fps, well. a rig like this will do that. I can't help you with some stuttering though, as that's just the buggyness of the engine and will happen whether you like it or not, but something like this will run them damn well.

This is just one potential build using higher-end higher priced parts, I can get more thorough and cut costs here and there, like dropping the SSD or getting a cheaper mobo, or cheaper RAM, but I put this up as a max budget example with parts looked up in less than 5 min lol.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<--- All gamertags listed there -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

__________________________________________________ _
Plan9Reloaded Co-host
Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast

- direct pod link

- main website
post #3 of 52 Old 08-03-2012, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

hi! thank you much! no we won't need keyboard, mouse, monitor. i have couple wired {and long USB cords) & wireless KB&Ms for when i do need those functions in a game. and this computer will also be used as a normal PC too (tho not much), so i do have a decent 24" Hanspree monitor, but i usually disable or disconnect it if playing games on the TV, so as to cut down on any strain having both TV and monitor going.
thank you much for your input. yes, $1300 and less (or a bit more if it gets me a lot for the $) would be the budget for a new PC, and probably no more than 50-60% of that for an upgrade so you think a new build would be more appropriate for my needs than upgrading??
thanks again for you help, and looking forward to you parts list!
post #4 of 52 Old 08-03-2012, 03:43 PM
Advanced Member

Personally I'd go with a new build for 2 reasons.

1. I hate trying to figure out what will and wont work with the existing hardware, and most pre-built cases aren't that great

and

2. Going all new, leaves you with 2 working PCs over just one and some extra old parts.

Is there anything you particularly WANT or NEED for this to have? I'd recommend keeping the SSD as it supposedly helps with the stuttering issues in the TES and Fallout games, but other things on that parts list can easily be played with. Like more RAM thats just a bit slower, or a bigger data drive also a tad slower, but still, lots can be played with. Especially that motherboard, in all honesty there's no need for a 200$ motherboard, so that gives you some wiggle room with money to get better OTHER parts.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

- direct pod link

- main website
post #5 of 52 Old 08-03-2012, 04:28 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked: 820
For the exact same price, you can get this hard drive. Three times the storage!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148844

Dan's got a decent list there. Depending on your needs, you go even less or maybe a more optimized list for $1,300. The weak sauce from your Dell is definitely the craptacular video card. Replacing that alone will get you good performance. Unfortunately most of these Dell's are not very upgradable such as that review mentions. The CPU in that (i7 920) is very good and should keep up no problem these days.

Because of the very limited upgradability, as Dan suggests, probably best to start from scratch. Keep the Dell as a secondary computer.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

- direct pod link

- main website

post #6 of 52 Old 08-03-2012, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 306
I like the build but that power supply has to go. Although a 650 "should" be good, there are deals all the time for 750-850 watt supplys that are better than the one listed for the same money. Other than that, beauty build.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #7 of 52 Old 08-03-2012, 07:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post

I like the build but that power supply has to go. Although a 650 "should" be good, there are deals all the time for 750-850 watt supplys that are better than the one listed for the same money. Other than that, beauty build.

Oh I know, that was a 'let's see what we can throw together in 5 min as an example 1300 build.' lol.

Honestly I'm going to sit down and make a much more thought out build list to squeeze every last bit of power out of that 1300 budget.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

- direct pod link

- main website
post #8 of 52 Old 08-04-2012, 02:04 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I'm not an expert, but here's something I just threw together for $1265 at today's Newegg prices. Add Windows 7 for another $100 if you need it. There is nothing fancy about this build or color coordination, but it should play just about every game available right now at 1920x1080, max settings at 60fps (Skyrim easily). If you are looking to cut corners, you could certainly save money on the case which is mostly personal preference. You could also save money on the PSU and Mobo. The PSU and Mobo I chose just leave you an option to SLI another GPU. You could also drop the SSD as it is more of a luxury than a necessity.

At the very least, this list should at least point you in the right direction for what you should be looking at.

CPU
GPU
Mobo
RAM
PSU
SSD
HDD
Case
HSF
post #9 of 52 Old 08-04-2012, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marafice Eye View Post

Oh I know, that was a 'let's see what we can throw together in 5 min as an example 1300 build.' lol.
Honestly I'm going to sit down and make a much more thought out build list to squeeze every last bit of power out of that 1300 budget.

thank you much Marafice. looking forward to your build.

and a big thank you Jmwatkins! that's basically what i'm after, a list with links that i can take to local Microcenter or use for online seller to build. so that build would play Skyrim as well as it possibly can be played, AND would remain a gaming beast for, say, the next 3-4 years? and i guess i just assumed a Windows OS (Vista, 7, ect) would be included when buying a PC. and SLI is when 2 video cards are used together right? would i need that for Skyrim to run it's best, or for future games?

so i guess the consensus is, not to even try and upgrade? that's what i was figuring too.
about sellers...Microcenter has a deal where they'll upgrade for $39 or build for $149, but i've heard they can be kinda shady. surprisingly, here in Cincinnati, i'm not finding many places that build PCs. are there reputable sellers online that'll build to my specs, ship for decent price, and provide some sorta warranty?
thanks again everyone!
post #10 of 52 Old 08-04-2012, 04:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mookeylama View Post

thank you much Marafice. looking forward to your build.
and a big thank you Jmwatkins! that's basically what i'm after, a list with links that i can take to local Microcenter or use for online seller to build. so that build would play Skyrim as well as it possibly can be played, AND would remain a gaming beast for, say, the next 3-4 years? and i guess i just assumed a Windows OS (Vista, 7, ect) would be included when buying a PC. and SLI is when 2 video cards are used together right? would i need that for Skyrim to run it's best, or for future games?
so i guess the consensus is, not to even try and upgrade? that's what i was figuring too.
about sellers...Microcenter has a deal where they'll upgrade for $39 or build for $149, but i've heard they can be kinda shady. surprisingly, here in Cincinnati, i'm not finding many places that build PCs. are there reputable sellers online that'll build to my specs, ship for decent price, and provide some sorta warranty?
thanks again everyone!

There are a few 'customize and build your PC' places, but most of the time it costs an arm and a leg. One of the benefits to buying the parts and building it yourself, each piece has its own warranty. something goes wrong, you send the part back, not your whole PC. As far as Windows, I tend to leave the OS out of the budget, but I can add that in if you'd like, case as well and see what we can work with.

As far as being capable of gaming for the next 3-4 years, yes and no. If pieced together right, the only thing you might have to do in a couple years would be upgrade the vid card, or add a second one. I'd also stick with at least a 128gb SSD for your main OS drive, and probably where you install Skyrim and Fallout. I've read numerous accounts of SSDs helping with stuttering in both games when they're installed on an SSD.

I'll also try to get a shipping estimate for you to Cincinnati. I don't know the zipcode there but I can find one and use it to calculate shipping from Newegg.

Give me a bit, I'm about to eat dinner here and then I'll build a thorough list or two (or more) for variation.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

- direct pod link

- main website
post #11 of 52 Old 08-04-2012, 05:55 PM
Advanced Member

Ok, New list. Comes out to $1351.65 and that's WITH shipping to Cincinnati (used zipcode 45201 but no matter the code, it should be the same amount to the city)

Case - $55

Motherboard - $140

Powersupply 750w - $90

CPU i7-2600k - $290

RAM 8GB - $59

SSD - $100

Data Drive 3TB - $150

Video Card, Radeon 7950 3GB - $350

OS Win 7 Home Premium - $100

If you want to go nVidia for Graphics card, You can swap in either of these. The GTX570 or the GTX670 (although the 670 will cost you $60 more)

GTX570 2.5GB - $340

GTX670 2GB -$400

But anyway, that list of parts with the Radeon comes to $1351 like I said, and that's shipped guaranteed 3-day, there's no tax for you. and if you are willing to take the time to do them, two of the parts each have $20 mail-in-rebates which takes your overall cost down to $1311.

And that does include a case and the OS.

I also didn't include a CPU heatsink/fan, mainly because I hear the stock one on the 2600k is fine. but if you want a different one, the that jmwatkins linked is the one to go for for $20. I use it personally and love it.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

- direct pod link

- main website
post #12 of 52 Old 08-07-2012, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

holy moley Marafice! that there's a sweet list! thanks again for doing this.
got a few other questions if i may...

1. you mentioned each part having a warranty if i put it together. just how difficult is it? my old eyes can't see well up close but i do magni-glasses that help. is it all just plug in and maybe few screws, or is there soldering and such? i like the idea of each part being warrantied, but i've done this kinda mr fixit thing all my life, auto repair, electrical, carpentry ,ect, and more often than not, i succeed...but there's always a cost. lotsa time researching, boning up, correcting mistakes. and time what i don't have a lot of now. so i think i'd be more comfortable letting Microcenter or someplace handle it. wouldn't they warranty the whole machine? seems like they could always use the manufacturer's warranty if there was a problem.

2. could ya name some reputable online builders i could check into?

3. as for GPU's, i'm half tempted to go w/ nVidia this time. i had nothing but problems w/ AMD. i still can't get Catalyst to install properly and usually takes multiple tries to update drivers. i was told that that it wasn't installed correctly at the factory but dunno. i know i loved that PHYSX that made all the clutter move in Arkham Asylum, but didn't see much of it as it killed my FPS, plus ATI users couldn't get the full features anyway. what do y'all think is better, nVidia or ATI?

4. and your build ME, they'll keep my relevant for the next 3-4 years?

i have someone else telling me that just upgrading to these for $300 would do the trick. says my i7 is still great. but i'm not sure just upgrading to those would play the games as well and smooth as i want.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102987
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341051

welp. thanks again to everyone who's helping. espacially you Marafice!
post #13 of 52 Old 08-07-2012, 11:47 AM
Bass Enabler

Lol. No soldering involved to put a computer together. It's all mostly placing things here and there. Slot here, click there. Some screws involved. It's fairly straightforward if you are good at understanding tech stuff. I've built computers my whole life so for me it's damn easy. It's easier to build a computer now than it was 10 years ago.

I personally don't trust any specific company because they are mostly a dime a dozen. Maybe someone else knows.

I'm an nVidia guy too but I'll tell ya, the computer Marafice and I built for his computer and the one's like his that we built for his friends all used AMD graphics (cheaper) and all ended up as great gaming computers that are still kickin'. That being said, you won't be disappointed going either way unless you are after specific features such as Physx.

This build should keep you happy for at least 2-3 years but it really depends on you and your taste in games and detail levels. This will let you play all games right now, very fast and with high detail levels. In 3-4 years? Ehhh, who knows? By then you may want to consider a new video card as graphics are sure to advance even if just a bit. The CPU should still be good as will all the other gear.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

- direct pod link

- main website

post #14 of 52 Old 08-08-2012, 08:35 AM

Liked: 11
Seriously just put a new graphics card and PSU in there. Any of the newer ATI/NVIDIA GPUs will eat Fall Out and Skyrim like candy. I have an ATI HD 5670 and I run Skyrim in high with a bunch of texture mods and get great FPS. I understand your hesitance with ATI/AMD drivers, but they both tend to have issues. Like I said either will work just fine. If you go NVIDIA they have the Fermi 460TIs for a good price and they're great cards. Also, I have an AMD Phenom x4 950 BE @ 3.0Ghz with 4Gb ram and have no issues playing Skyrim, Fall Out, Mass Effect etc. So gaming with just 4Gb is doable for sure, but memory is cheap and it wouldnt hurt to grab more. But all you really need is a GPU and PSU. I have a 430Watt PSU and have no problems, but the NVIDIA cards tend to require more juice so read the requirements so you know what size PSU to get. Good luck.
Marafice Eye likes this.
post #15 of 52 Old 08-09-2012, 01:35 PM

Liked: 21
In theory, the OP could upgrade his PSU and GPU and that would probably last him for another year or two. But, the biggest reason I don't like that idea is that Dell case. The case looks like it has poor air flow and I'm guessing there is no vent on the bottom near the GPU. Looking at the side view of it, the 4850 barely has room to suck air off the bottom and the OP stated that the 4850 runs hot at 85C-100C. A 6950 draws almost twice the power of a 4850 which creates even more heat. Plus, a 6950, 460 or any other new card will be twice as thick as his 4850, putting the cooler fans even closer to the bottom. Just my 2 cents.
post #16 of 52 Old 08-09-2012, 03:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeforsale View Post

Seriously just put a new graphics card and PSU in there. Any of the newer ATI/NVIDIA GPUs will eat Fall Out and Skyrim like candy. I have an ATI HD 5670 and I run Skyrim in high with a bunch of texture mods and get great FPS. I understand your hesitance with ATI/AMD drivers, but they both tend to have issues. Like I said either will work just fine. If you go NVIDIA they have the Fermi 460TIs for a good price and they're great cards. Also, I have an AMD Phenom x4 950 BE @ 3.0Ghz with 4Gb ram and have no issues playing Skyrim, Fall Out, Mass Effect etc. So gaming with just 4Gb is doable for sure, but memory is cheap and it wouldnt hurt to grab more. But all you really need is a GPU and PSU. I have a 430Watt PSU and have no problems, but the NVIDIA cards tend to require more juice so read the requirements so you know what size PSU to get. Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwatkins View Post

In theory, the OP could upgrade his PSU and GPU and that would probably last him for another year or two. But, the biggest reason I don't like that idea is that Dell case. The case looks like it has poor air flow and I'm guessing there is no vent on the bottom near the GPU. Looking at the side view of it, the 4850 barely has room to suck air off the bottom and the OP stated that the 4850 runs hot at 85C-100C. A 6950 draws almost twice the power of a 4850 which creates even more heat. Plus, a 6950, 460 or any other new card will be twice as thick as his 4850, putting the cooler fans even closer to the bottom. Just my 2 cents.

Both of these guys are technically correct, although jmwatkins has some of the same concerns I do. As for gaming with 4gb of ram, yeah, perfectly viable, but when the difference between 4gb and 8 gb is 20 bucks or less, why NOT put the extra headroom in?

Like I said before, if you build from scratch with a whole new setup, you have 1 really damn good PC, and 1, still pretty good PC instead of 1, really good PC and some old parts. In the end it's up to you obviously.

As for online builders, good luck, most places have their own models and you can just pick and chooser more/less in each category. Putting it together isn't hard, just a little tricky if you've never done it.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

- direct pod link

- main website
post #17 of 52 Old 08-24-2012, 04:21 AM - Thread Starter

thanks much folks for all your advice! especially Marafice and JMWatkins!
so sorry for late reply. been on vacay w/ limited internet. there's been some new developments. the wife has decreed that we need 2 PCs so she can have her own and quit fighting me for it lol. so we're definitely going new. after all the reading, i'm pretty sure i want a SSD, 2GB GPU, at least 8gb memory,HDMI and USB3 connections. now understand,i don't know what half that stuff is lol. just read that it's the best. if there's better, then let me know. remeber the goal here is to play Skyrim like it's on some mega gargantuan government computer!...for around $1300-1500 heh. some things i've been thinkin about...

ATI or Nvidea? i've had nothing but troubles updating ATI Catalysts and i know i like the PhysX of nvidea, so i'm leaning nvidea.

do i need anything to play in 3D? i'm not big into 3d yet. it still gives me headaches (movies) but i like the idea of gaming in 3d. the HDTV this'll be hooked up to is a Sony 55A3000 for now, but i plan on a 3D TV in the next year if the trend continues and gaming supports it more.

i don't need monitor, speakers, keyboard & mouse and i can go over the $1300 budget a bit if it gets me bang for the buck!
is Windows 7 the best OS out now?
do i need water cooling, or Overclocking?
is an i5 better than an i7?

and lastly, again, i'd really love links to the build recipe parts so i can take it all to Microcenter for them to build it. or i'd be happy to buy from an online builder if y'all know reputable ones that are better than Microcenter, and that have decent shipping to Ohio 45246? i gotta get this ball rollong in the next couple days.
thanks again so much Marafice and JM! i'll be printing out your links for the build. probably take them to Microcenter in the next couple days. just hope they don't have to order to much of the stuff in. thanks again all~!!
post #18 of 52 Old 08-24-2012, 04:54 AM
Advanced Member

Ok here's a quick 4:30am build a tad over your 1300 budget but well worth it imo. To answer a couple of your questions first though, an i7 is better than an i5, though more expensive. Benchmark-wise for gaming, the i5-3570k performs just as well as the i7-3770k, but is $110 cheaper. I'd personally suggest paying the extra $110 and getting the i7, but that would put you closer to a $1500 budget, but would be well worth it.

Case - $40 - I have this exact case, works great, no probs. but case choice is all up to you, find something you like

Motherboard - $136 - You could go with an ASRock for $110 that's pretty much as good, but this is a tad better, and only $115 if you do the rebate.

Power Supply - $60 - Some may scoff at the brand, but I use the 530w version of this and it's brilliant. 700w psu for 60 bucks.

CPU - $230 - i5-3570K, damn good CPU, though again I'd say pay the extra $110 for the i7-3770K

CPU Heatsink/fan - $35 - best bang for your buck aftermarket cooler. I use the previous gen and it's great.

SSD - $119 - Not much to say, high end Samsung 128gb ssd

Data Drive - $150 - 3tb data drive

RAM - $46 - 8gb DDR3 1600

Optical Drive - $54 - It's a blu ray drive for 50 bucks, why not. If you only want a dvd burner instead, those are about $18

GPU - $399 - You wanted Nvidia and 2gb, GTX670, here you go. there is a 4gb version for about $40 more though, may look into that. Also comes with a free copy of Borderlands 2

OS - $100 - Win 7 Home Premium 64bit OEM, cheapest you'll find unless you 'acquire' it via other means.

Grand total - $1370
Grand total w/i7 - $1480

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

- direct pod link

- main website
post #19 of 52 Old 08-24-2012, 09:16 AM
Bass Enabler

Heheh. That gear looks somewhat familar. tongue.gif

Good selection there!

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

- direct pod link

- main website

post #20 of 52 Old 08-24-2012, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

thanks again Marafice! more great links. and i just noticed your avatar. good ole Reb! Evans did it well, but Reb will always be Cap America to me!
so i was talking w/ a dude from Microcenter today. seemed like a nice knowledgeable guy. he said get Windows 7 Pro for the best ll aroud compatibility. told him i was getting lists of parts together, and he said that they'd have all the stuff there or at the least comparable stuff. sounded like they couldn't order stuff in if there was something i was dead set on getting and they didn't have it. but assured me they would have comparable stuff. they'd build it in 1-2 days for $140. seems like a decent deal. the online places i checked (AVA, Ibuypower) seemed more expensive overall. and if i co watercooled i'd rather get it local anyway rather than risk shipping. which leads me to...

~should i go watercooled or air cooled just as good? i'm getting mixed signals.
~i notice the gpus people are showing me are SLI capable. should i go SLI? would Skyrim really benefit from 2 cards?
~does the PC need any kind of special parts to go 3D, or is that more software?
~i was looking at this...
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6159/the-geforce-gtx-660-ti-review
i guess the 680 isn't worth the extra $100? and the 670 IS worth the extra over the 660? i don't even know what those specs mean lol

man, the more i look the more i'm astounded. i didn't even realize you could get a $4000 computer, or that there were 4gb video cards lol. wonder how well they'd run Skyrim?
so i'll be printing up all the the links you've given, and a couple other lists people at different forums gave me, and takin it to Microcenter by Monday i guess. here's a link to one thread. last post has a good looking build...
http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1403998-to-upgrade-or-buy-a-new-pc/page__p__21389598#entry21389598
thanks everyone for your comments and a huge thank you to you Marafice! you've been a huge help, and i can't thank ya enough!
post #21 of 52 Old 08-24-2012, 09:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

thanks again Marafice! more great links. and i just noticed your avatar. good ole Reb! Evans did it well, but Reb will always be Cap America to me!
so i was talking w/ a dude from Microcenter today. seemed like a nice knowledgeable guy. he said get Windows 7 Pro for the best ll aroud compatibility. told him i was getting lists of parts together, and he said that they'd have all the stuff there or at the least comparable stuff. sounded like they couldn't order stuff in if there was something i was dead set on getting and they didn't have it. but assured me they would have comparable stuff. they'd build it in 1-2 days for $140. seems like a decent deal. the online places i checked (AVA, Ibuypower) seemed more expensive overall. and if i co watercooled i'd rather get it local anyway rather than risk shipping. which leads me to...
~should i go watercooled or air cooled just as good? i'm getting mixed signals.
~i notice the gpus people are showing me are SLI capable. should i go SLI? would Skyrim really benefit from 2 cards?
~does the PC need any kind of special parts to go 3D, or is that more software?
~i was looking at this...
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6159/the-geforce-gtx-660-ti-review
i guess the 680 isn't worth the extra $100? and the 670 IS worth the extra over the 660? i don't even know what those specs mean lol
man, the more i look the more i'm astounded. i didn't even realize you could get a $4000 computer, or that there were 4gb video cards lol. wonder how well they'd run Skyrim?
so i'll be printing up all the the links you've given, and a couple other lists people at different forums gave me, and takin it to Microcenter by Monday i guess. here's a link to one thread. last post has a good looking build...
http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1403998-to-upgrade-or-buy-a-new-pc/page__p__21389598#entry21389598
thanks everyone for your comments and a huge thank you to you Marafice! you've been a huge help, and i can't thank ya enough!

Not a bad price on the build cost. I'd still build it yourself but if you don't trust yourself, then go for it.To answer your questions -
- Stick with air cooling unless you plan on doing major overclocking.
- SLI doesn't scale like you'd think. adding another card won't double your performance, it'll add maybe 15-20% if you're lucky. SLI will help, but the cost isn't worth it, and honestly, MOST games do not support it well and it makes it a huge hassle to work with. stick with a single, powerful card. Every game can benefit from SLI, but the performance you gain won't be what you think.
- You don't really need anything special other than a 3D monitor with the glasses to do 3D. A 670 is capable of doing the 3D if you have the monitor hardware
- The 660ti just came out, it has decent performance, but its only a 192-bit memory interface where as the 670+ have 256, you'll benefit more from the 256. I'd still suggest a 670 rather than a 680 simply because the performance gain going from a 670 to a 680 is minimal for the $100 extra.

You could easily spend thousands on an insanely good system, but when talking bang for the buck, you don't really need to.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

- direct pod link

- main website
post #22 of 52 Old 08-24-2012, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter

thanks again brutha! i might actually try a little overclocking this time around. i tried on the PC i have now (link in 1st post) but i was unaware that the damn bios were locked. i tweaked it a tiny bit, went in game, and freaked out. there were artifacts and weird colors everywhere lol. scared the hell outta me. thought i broke Fallout. might actually try it now if it'll give better performance. BUUUT i won't need to right?? cause this PC is gonna play Skyrim and others like it's a wizard computer from the gods!...right heh
post #23 of 52 Old 08-25-2012, 06:37 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
If your going to Microcenter.
post #24 of 52 Old 08-25-2012, 06:41 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
n get the CPU and motherboard way cheaper there.That CPU is $189,with $50 off the motherboard,when purchased together.They have the Cooler Master 912,for $49.It`s a superior case.
post #25 of 52 Old 08-25-2012, 11:19 PM - Thread Starter

Headase, i'm not sure what you're telling me. you mean Microcenter has those deals?

and i like the sound of the video card that Pangury posted here (last post)...
http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/747079-help-me-upgrade-or-buy-a-new-pc-please/
a EVGA GTX 670 with 4GB. it's only $50 more and i bet it could handle lotsa texture mods.

in fact, was talkin w/ the wife and we've decided to screw the budget, and just spend whatever it takes to get the best PC that'll play Skyrim and current games at their absolute peak best! can't believe she gave the go ahead lol. but seeing that there are $4000 PC out there kinda shocked us both. so if there's ANYTHING more that y'all (*waves at Marafice* ) think would better or enhance this build, go ahead and post it.
now, i understand that those monster $4000 PCs are probably for work stations, video editting, and other stuff we'll never do, and that there's a point where spending more just won't help with gaming. but if it'll play games better then the already discussed builds, then post it...because frankly i can't believe the lil woman gave me a pass here and i aim to take advantage of it if need be lol. so if $2500+ will play Skyrim better, lemme know. like if 16gb of memory rather than 8 will help gaming or whatever...that sorta thing. tho can't imagine ever using 16gb for storage.

hate to keep bothering y'all but opportunity knocks heh! probably head to Mivrocenter Monday.
thanks again!!
post #26 of 52 Old 08-26-2012, 12:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Headase, i'm not sure what you're telling me. you mean Microcenter has those deals?
and i like the sound of the video card that Pangury posted here (last post)...
http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/747079-help-me-upgrade-or-buy-a-new-pc-please/
a EVGA GTX 670 with 4GB. it's only $50 more and i bet it could handle lotsa texture mods.
in fact, was talkin w/ the wife and we've decided to screw the budget, and just spend whatever it takes to get the best PC that'll play Skyrim and current games at their absolute peak best! can't believe she gave the go ahead lol. but seeing that there are $4000 PC out there kinda shocked us both. so if there's ANYTHING more that y'all (*waves at Marafice* ) think would better or enhance this build, go ahead and post it.
now, i understand that those monster $4000 PCs are probably for work stations, video editting, and other stuff we'll never do, and that there's a point where spending more just won't help with gaming. but if it'll play games better then the already discussed builds, then post it...because frankly i can't believe the lil woman gave me a pass here and i aim to take advantage of it if need be lol. so if $2500+ will play Skyrim better, lemme know. like if 16gb of memory rather than 8 will help gaming or whatever...that sorta thing. tho can't imagine ever using 16gb for storage.
hate to keep bothering y'all but opportunity knocks heh! probably head to Mivrocenter Monday.
thanks again!!

Reaaaaaallly now? Alright *cracks knuckles* lets do this!

Case - $160 - SilverStone Raven. Hands down BEST case for air cooling.

Power Supply - $155 - SilverStone Strider series 850w

Motherboard - $200 - ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3 PCIe 3.0 USB 3.0 SATA 6

CPU - $340 - i7-3770K best you can get without going to $500+

CPU Cooler - $75 - Noctua NH-C12P Low profile, 140mm fan, probably the best you can get, Noctua makes phenomenal fans

RAM - $88 - 16gb DDR3 1600

SSD - $199 - 256gb Samsung, for your OS and MAIN games.

HDD - $150 - 3tb for the rest of your games and other crap

GPU - $430 - Galaxy dual fan 4gb GTX670 best bang for your buck

Blu-Ray Drive - $55 - Exactly what it says... BR drive lol

OS - $140 - Win 7 Pro 64bit

Total on Newegg - $1991

Boom! Under 2k, and guaranteed to max anything you throw at it. You can add a 2nd vid card, or another ssd if you want and still be under your 2.5k-ish budget!

*Sits back and takes a drink*

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

- direct pod link

- main website
post #27 of 52 Old 08-26-2012, 04:34 PM

Liked: 18
yes there are $4000 computers but the returns really diminish.
Why do you want a 2600K, I own one and I own 2 2500Ks, save $100 and get the 2500K it wil OC right to the 2600K levels and will perform just as well in games. I put them all to 4.0 ghz on air with the stock heat sink and stock thermal paste. No voltage changes not a single problem. These things tend to OC better than ivy bridge, the big gains in ivy bridge where in the on chip GPU (HD4000) so if you are about to buy a nice GPU you arent going to care about that GPU performance so the over clock on the sandybridge part is a better buy for performance than the ivy bridge parts. I mean if you really want to drop the cash you can go with a socket 2011 build.

Forget SLI, just go with a single GTX 670, the zotac amp comes out of the box performing as well as a GTX 680. Also no issues with support, microstutter etc...

Ram, I have never pushed my system past 4Gb and I have 16Gb except when using highly specialized applications which I would assume you arent using. 8Gb is plenty.

Spend your money on a nice case and PSU those will last you through multiple upgrades. Do you want an HTPC format case? Check out the silver stones like the LC13B, I have a wonderful lian li PC-A71F very elegant, roomie and not too heavy.

The other place I might spend money is on the SSD, getting a 512Gb SSD will let you load alot of your games and stuff on the SSD. But nothing wrong with a smaller one.
post #28 of 52 Old 08-26-2012, 04:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PubFiction View Post

yes there are $4000 computers but the returns really diminish.
Why do you want a 2600K, I own one and I own 2 2500Ks, save $100 and get the 2500K it wil OC right to the 2600K levels and will perform just as well in games. I put them all to 4.0 ghz on air with the stock heat sink and stock thermal paste. No voltage changes not a single problem. These things tend to OC better than ivy bridge, the big gains in ivy bridge where in the on chip GPU (HD4000) so if you are about to buy a nice GPU you arent going to care about that GPU performance so the over clock on the sandybridge part is a better buy for performance than the ivy bridge parts. I mean if you really want to drop the cash you can go with a socket 2011 build.
Forget SLI, just go with a single GTX 670, the zotac amp comes out of the box performing as well as a GTX 680. Also no issues with support, microstutter etc...
Ram, I have never pushed my system past 4Gb and I have 16Gb except when using highly specialized applications which I would assume you arent using. 8Gb is plenty.
Spend your money on a nice case and PSU those will last you through multiple upgrades. Do you want an HTPC format case? Check out the silver stones like the LC13B, I have a wonderful lian li PC-A71F very elegant, roomie and not too heavy.
The other place I might spend money is on the SSD, getting a 512Gb SSD will let you load alot of your games and stuff on the SSD. But nothing wrong with a smaller one.

Normally I would 100% agree with you. But he's been given the green light by his lady, that doesn't happen very often, if ever in a relationship when it comes to spending money. If he was on a tighter budget, I'd be saying the same things as you, but he has the go-ahead for the larger budget, why not take advantage of it? This may be his only chance.

The one thing I agree about still is the SLI, that you really don't need. But considering 16gb of RAM is only 40 bucks more than 8gb... why NOT get the extra headroom? The i7-3770K is only $110 more than the i5-3570K, and will do him better in the long-term, if this were any other situation I'd say save the 110 and get the i5 (look at my first couple lists, they use the i5) but the main diff is that outside of gaming, they perform marginally better because the i7 has hyper-threading and the i5 does not.

HTPC format case or not, if you want the best case for air cooling, bar none, the Raven is that. Whether or not he's going SLI the SilverStone PSUs are some of the highest rated out there, and are 80 Plus Gold certified. 850w is plenty enough for the system, even if he does go sli.

As for the SSD's, I'd still lean slighty more towards dual 256gb rather than a single 512. OS and the games he knows he will play for a while on one so it has low Read/Write and keeps life relatively high, and the 2nd 256 for other games.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

- direct pod link

- main website
post #29 of 52 Old 08-26-2012, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by PubFiction View Post

Another option is two Samsung 256GB SSDs in RAID-0, which is cheaper than a single 512GB drive. Intel finally enabled TRIM support on the chipset for RAID-0 arrays (see here), but this requires a 7-series Intel motherboard (such as Z77).

Does he need that kind of ludicrous speed? Nope, but it sure is fun.
post #30 of 52 Old 08-26-2012, 08:31 PM
Bass Enabler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marafice Eye View Post

Reaaaaaallly now? Alright *cracks knuckles* lets do this!
Case - $160 - SilverStone Raven. Hands down BEST case for air cooling.
Power Supply - $155 - SilverStone Strider series 850w
Motherboard - $200 - ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3 PCIe 3.0 USB 3.0 SATA 6
CPU - $340 - i7-3770K best you can get without going to $500+
CPU Cooler - $75 - Noctua NH-C12P Low profile, 140mm fan, probably the best you can get, Noctua makes phenomenal fans
RAM - $88 - 16gb DDR3 1600
SSD - $199 - 256gb Samsung, for your OS and MAIN games.
HDD - $150 - 3tb for the rest of your games and other crap
GPU - $430 - Galaxy dual fan 4gb GTX670 best bang for your buck
Blu-Ray Drive - $55 - Exactly what it says... BR drive lol
OS - $140 - Win 7 Pro 64bit
Total on Newegg - $1991
Boom! Under 2k, and guaranteed to max anything you throw at it. You can add a 2nd vid card, or another ssd if you want and still be under your 2.5k-ish budget!
*Sits back and takes a drink*

I like this list but replace the motherboard with a newer Z77 chipset.

Like this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131821

And if you're getting a full size case then replace the low profile heatsink with this Noctua, only $10 more: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608018

Also consider RAID-0 SSD's for the full 'bad-ass' effect. biggrin.gif

Have fun!

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

- direct pod link

- main website

Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page