Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 08-07-2012, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here starts my issue:

I got myself a Yamaha RX-V665 Receiver.

I am now connected to the receiver via HDMI and things seem to be working fine with all the sound settings.

However, When I am connected from my laptop to my receiver, the receiver is recognized as an external display by my computer and I am having issues with the resolution of my screen. ( I do not have an external monitor ).

My native screen resolution ( On the laptop ) is 1920 x 1200, but the resolution that windows automatically applies on my screen (When the receiver is connected ) is 1920 x 1080 ( 1080p ). While this is a great resolution, I am kind of uncomfartable working with my lowered screen resolution now. This also leaves approx 3/4th of an inch empty black space on the top and bottom of my display.

I have an ATI 5870 Graphics card, and I was able to stretch the 1920 x 1080 resolution to fit my screen ( through the Catalyst Command Center ), but this looks really ugly and stretched out. Is there any way to force a 1920 x 1200 onto my display ?

Also, If i disable the secondary display that Windows detects( Yamaha Receiver ), the sound is cut off too ( Like the receiver is not connected via HDMI at all ! ).

When connected to Windows, my receiver automatically sets to the "Straight" configuration. Is there any way I can change this ?

Anyway to fix the 1920 x 1080 issue ?

Thanks again !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 08-07-2012, 11:23 PM

Liked: 93
Probably not any way to fix it. HDMI was never really intended as an audio-only format. Your best solution is very likely to be what you have already found. 1920x1080 when hooked up to the receiver, and just live with the 60 pixel black bars. Or, get full resolution but drop to stereo with the headphone output instead.
post #3 of 20 Old 08-08-2012, 08:19 AM

Liked: 11
In CCC there is a way to force a better resolution for times when it detects display settings wrong. Force adjust resolution and then when you scale to fit screen it should look fine. Good luck.
post #4 of 20 Old 08-08-2012, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

Probably not any way to fix it. HDMI was never really intended as an audio-only format. Your best solution is very likely to be what you have already found. 1920x1080 when hooked up to the receiver, and just live with the 60 pixel black bars. Or, get full resolution but drop to stereo with the headphone output instead.

Yea.. But I think I'd rather get used to the 60 pixel less than the stereo sound !
post #5 of 20 Old 08-08-2012, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeforsale View Post

In CCC there is a way to force a better resolution for times when it detects display settings wrong. Force adjust resolution and then when you scale to fit screen it should look fine. Good luck.

Hello Joe,

I was trying to do that through CCC, but I was not able to find the option, can you tell me where it is located ?

Would be great if I can actually do that !
post #6 of 20 Old 08-08-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidrockrulz View Post

Hello Joe,
I was trying to do that through CCC, but I was not able to find the option, can you tell me where it is located ?
Would be great if I can actually do that !

Should be under MY DIGITAL FLAT PANELS and then add the resolution you know your tv can handle. Once that is done go to DESKTOP MANAGEMENT and then select the resolution you added in first step under DESKTOP PROPERTIES. Hopefully that sets everything up for you.
post #7 of 20 Old 08-08-2012, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Should be under MY DIGITAL FLAT PANELS and then add the resolution you know your tv can handle. Once that is done go to DESKTOP MANAGEMENT and then select the resolution you added in first step under DESKTOP PROPERTIES. Hopefully that sets everything up for you.

Hey Joe,

I was looking under My DIGITAL FLAT PANELS and I did not have an option to change the resolution, it shows 1920 x 1080 . Here's the thing, I am not hooked up to a TV at all. All I have is my laptop connected to the receiver ( which shows up on my computer as a Display 2 ) !!
post #8 of 20 Old 08-08-2012, 02:21 PM

Quote:

Hey Joe,
I was looking under My DIGITAL FLAT PANELS and I did not have an option to change the resolution, it shows 1920 x 1080 . Here's the thing, I am not hooked up to a TV at all. All I have is my laptop connected to the receiver ( which shows up on my computer as a Display 2 ) !!

Hmm, I see. Did you already try setting the tv/receiver as the only display (desktop properties in Windows) once your laptop is hooked to the receiver?
post #9 of 20 Old 08-09-2012, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Hmm, I see. Did you already try setting the tv/receiver as the only display (desktop properties in Windows) once your laptop is hooked to the receiver?

Hey Joe,

I dont have a TV hooked up. If I did set the receiver(Fake Display) , this transfers all display to the fake receiver and I have nothing to look at on my screen ! So, where would I be using my computer from ?
post #10 of 20 Old 08-10-2012, 02:44 PM

Quote:

Hey Joe,
I dont have a TV hooked up. If I did set the receiver(Fake Display) , this transfers all display to the fake receiver and I have nothing to look at on my screen ! So, where would I be using my computer from ?

Sorry I misunderstood what you were trying to accomplish. When you hook your laptop to the receiver that is what you will be viewing, not a tv?
post #11 of 20 Old 08-11-2012, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Sorry I misunderstood what you were trying to accomplish. When you hook your laptop to the receiver that is what you will be viewing, not a tv?

hey Joe,

yea, i have my laptop hooked up to a receiver for sound purposes, but the receiver is not connected to my tv .

Im using the receiver for sound purposes only ! Makes sense ? smile.gif
post #12 of 20 Old 08-11-2012, 03:08 PM

Yea I was thinking you were simply using your laptop as the media server and the tv for display, it's all clear now. Have you tried setting the resolution settings under windows as two seperate displays (since it is detecting the receiver as a display)? This should allow you to set the laptop to its native resolution.
post #13 of 20 Old 08-11-2012, 03:49 PM

Liked: 93
Then he will have a huge chunk of desktop that Windows is expanding to that is not visible. Windows will pop up over there that he can't see and headaches will ensue.

The problem is that AMD drivers are pretty crap when it comes to more than one display. Cloning the display, it forces the resolution to the lowest common denominator. That means the 1080p that the receiver reports as it's highest input value. Again, the best solutions have already been found. Surround with 60 pixel bars, or stereo at full resolution.

Nvidia drivers where more flexible at one point, allowing high-res cloning with scaled output to a second display. For example, 1920x1080 could be rendered natively to the primary display, then that could be cloned and scaled to 1280x720 for a second, lower-res display. I don't know if Nvidia still functions that way today, but it has been a feature in the past. Either way, it's a laptop. Your graphics are what they are. Pick between your two available solutions.

And Joe, please start reading posts before responding. He clearly stated from moment one that there was no external display. Then you spent three days telling him how to make that external display work.
post #14 of 20 Old 08-11-2012, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Yea I was thinking you were simply using your laptop as the media server and the tv for display, it's all clear now. Have you tried setting the resolution settings under windows as two seperate displays (since it is detecting the receiver as a display)? This should allow you to set the laptop to its native resolution.

Joe,

Exactly what Darklord has said is happening here !!
post #15 of 20 Old 08-11-2012, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Then he will have a huge chunk of desktop that Windows is expanding to that is not visible. Windows will pop up over there that he can't see and headaches will ensue.
The problem is that AMD drivers are pretty crap when it comes to more than one display. Cloning the display, it forces the resolution to the lowest common denominator. That means the 1080p that the receiver reports as it's highest input value. Again, the best solutions have already been found. Surround with 60 pixel bars, or stereo at full resolution.
Nvidia drivers where more flexible at one point, allowing high-res cloning with scaled output to a second display. For example, 1920x1080 could be rendered natively to the primary display, then that could be cloned and scaled to 1280x720 for a second, lower-res display. I don't know if Nvidia still functions that way today, but it has been a feature in the past. Either way, it's a laptop. Your graphics are what they are. Pick between your two available solutions.
And Joe, please start reading posts before responding. He clearly stated from moment one that there was no external display. Then you spent three days telling him how to make that external display work.

Thanks darklord, I am now using the extended desktop though, but AMD lets me limit my working/primarily display to screen1 ( my laptop display ).

But the mouse still keeps running around to the next extended dsplay ( Which apparently is the receiver with no display attached at all ! ).

Guess I'm just going to have to try and work with things this way !

It gets kinda irritating though. Diablo automatically restricts mouse movement to one screen when I'm playing but most other games do not have that feature and mouse keeps wandering away !! Arghh !!

Wish ATI brought custom/forced resolutions to their graphics cards, atleast for powerful ones !
post #16 of 20 Old 08-11-2012, 06:08 PM

Quote:

Damnit im a skimmer frown.gif
post #17 of 20 Old 08-11-2012, 06:20 PM

Now that I have a firm grasp on what the issue is smile.gif what about a a 3.5mm head phone to Red/White composite cable. Not ideal but it would be better than having lowered res and mouse issues.
post #18 of 20 Old 08-11-2012, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Now that I have a firm grasp on what the issue is smile.gif what about a a 3.5mm head phone to Red/White composite cable. Not ideal but it would be better than having lowered res and mouse issues.

I did try that option too.

From 3 analog outs on my computer to a 5.1 multichannel input, the problem here is you cannot bitstream ! Meaning,, no pure sound !

Im sticking with HDMI for now.

Using extended screens with a tool to restrict the mouse to one screen !
post #19 of 20 Old 09-06-2012, 12:18 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 167
There's a program called displayfusion, that I've never used personally. It was on a list of programs that were "must have" from some website I was reading. You might be able to try that, there's a free version. It's made for multiple monitors and I saw a couple features that may or may not have something to help this situation.

http://www.displayfusion.com/Compare/

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #20 of 20 Old 09-06-2012, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you ! Much apprecited smile.gif Will try it out soon.
Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page