Motion sensing games for htpc? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 08-08-2012, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am pretty naive to all the games out there but what I do like are ones like Wii and Kinect. I don't like the graphics on Wii but motion sensing games impress me and are something I would like to use on my htpc. Is there some device and some games outside of these two platforms? Perhaps there is a stripped down version that relies on my CPU processor rather than the full kit?

Thanks for your input smile.gif

explore the music
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-08-2012, 10:24 PM

Liked: 93
The Razer Hydra is the PC equivalent of the Wii controls. Being the most supported of the PC motion peripherals, it's support is still so miserable as to make it not worth a purchase. One can also run 3rd party drivers to get the Wii remote working through Bluetooth, but then things get complicated on the side of getting games to work with it.

In the end, if you want Wii style motion in HD, get a PS3 with Move. Come with a healthy desire to play shooter titles exclusively. If you want Kinect, get a 360 and Kinect. Be prepared for the Kinect to register what you want to do only about half the time. If you want motion games that are actually of some quality, get a Wii and buy Nintendo published titles.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-09-2012, 12:54 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 12
Thanks for your reply. Seems like Wii is my only option as you say. Let's hope the graphics evolve wink.gif As is touted with the Wii U

explore the music
post #4 of 8 Old 08-15-2012, 08:57 PM

Liked: 11
There is an emulator called Dolphin that let's you use the Wii remote (given you have bluetooth and a wireless sensor bar) and plays Wii games as well as Gamecube.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-15-2012, 11:02 PM

Liked: 93
...which is still annoying to use, requiring too much tweaking and setup per title. Don't bother, unless you like spending more time fiddling with setting than actually playing. Dolphin is a great technical achievement and a very interesting piece of software. By no means is it anywhere close to user-friendly or providing an experience remotely close to what the Wii spits out. Yes, it will render at higher resolutions, but it does it poorly.
post #6 of 8 Old 08-16-2012, 05:29 AM

Liked: 11
I will agree that it is a little annoying to change the setup for different games to run correctly, but it's still pretty cool. It is still a work in progress and I've just downloaded the recent build but haven't had a chance to check it out yet. I'm sure the devs will get a good bit sorted out in the near future. Plus you can't beat free smile.gif
post #7 of 8 Old 04-24-2013, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Bump, Razer Hydra is $40 on Woot now, and supposedly the drivers are much improved. Anyone think it is worth a purchase at this price for couch gaming?

Matt
post #8 of 8 Old 04-24-2013, 08:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by turls View Post

Bump, Razer Hydra is $40 on Woot now, and supposedly the drivers are much improved. Anyone think it is worth a purchase at this price for couch gaming?

Idk, I'd probably just go with a wireless 360 controller. I'm tempted by the Nostromo though, might be handy to have rather than a full kb on my lap.

Marafice Eye <--- All gamertags listed there - Twitch TV Channel YouTube Channel
__________________________________________________ _
Plan9Reloaded Co-host
Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast
https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link
http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website
Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page