EDID help. Help me decide. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-14-2012, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My PC is connected to my receiver (Sony bdve980w) and that is connected to my hdtv (LG 47LW5700), HDMI cables for connections, and so far, I have two options for edid override which I have tested out, both works well.

A:) Let my HTPC play 5.1 surround sound and enjoy the lovely orc or giant thats going to attack me from behind
OR
B:) Let my HTPC play in 3D so I see the giant all 3D like.

I can only choose one it seems.

Moninfo doesn't get either my tv or my receiver information so I have resorted to getting .INF files from the internet.

Thanks.

oh I know its up to personal taste if you want 3D or surround sound but maybe someone will sway my decision.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-15-2012, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 43
My .02 cents:

Unless you play competitively in games....5.1 sound is a throwback. I used to have 5.1 sound but because my desk and monitor are somewhat kitty-corner, the sound fields were always wrong, so I just went back to 2.0 at my desk and I don' t miss 5.1 at all. Given a choice, I'd choose the 3D visuals...if you are into that sort of thing. Gaming and 3D for me, don't mix for anything fast-paced......I find myself not being immersed in the game, but rather being immersed in all the cool bits (and sadly, all the flaws) that 3D introduces into gaming, but your mileage may vary.

Just as an aside, does your computer or motherboard offer up Coax or TOSLINK output for 5.1 Dolby Digital/DTS streams? If so, you can use DVI/HDMI to carry the picture and the optical options to carry your sound? Your games won't flow natively in 5.1 but you can turn on the fanciest version of Dolby Pro Logic that is offered up by your receiver and do faux 5.1 sound that way.....or get a separate sound card that does Dolby Digital Live conversion and output directly in 5.1 to your receiver......

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #3 of 4 Old 08-25-2012, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 25
if your problem is the edid not getting passed all the way thru - try looking into a little gizmo called HDMI Detective.
CeridianMN likes this.
post #4 of 4 Old 08-30-2012, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm not at home right now to see exactly what I did, but there is a way to get both. You basically combine the video part of the EDID from your projector with the audio part of the EDID from your receiver. It's a bit of work to get it just right, but once it's dialed in and you install the custom EDID it works perfectly. I've been gaming in 3D & surround since and wouldn't go back unless I had no choice.
Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page