Anyone here playing the Day Z mod for ARMA II? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 38 Old 08-15-2012, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I own Arma II, never really got that into it........I was a huge, huge Operation Flashpoint fan back in the day...once you were dialed-into how to play and move in that game (memorizing squad orders for instance, their keys) it really did become a dangerously realistic combat simulator. It remains the only FPS I have ever played that put me into the game where every time I was prone in a dense repeating forest with enemy voices around me, or laying prone trying to evade or possibly destroy an enemy tank or BMP while having nothing but a rifle and 1 grenade left on me......it was the only game to ever give me pucker-factor! I mean, any game that had you running in real time to a destination for 2, 3 hours sometimes only to get killed and have to respawn all the way back...it really made you afraid to do anything in the game. even exposing yourself by shooting a sure-thing enemy kill is something you consider. "If I shoot this guy, 10 more will be on me.....but if I let him pass....can I sneak in?". Its the first game that ever made me do this like I might do in real life, by putting self-preservation first (usually by cowering and retreating) biggrin.gif

I would get the expansion pack for ARMA II, which you need to play Day Z, but i'm reading that going in solo is basically the same as setting yourself up for repeated deaths....everyone is a hostile to you, plus the dead.... :P
Too brutal to do alone I guess.....has anyone here played it? is it awesome or is it only so if you invest your life in it like an MMO....??

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 08-15-2012, 11:55 AM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 638
Yes. I just recently got it working on my computer. Long time ARMA/Operation Flashpoint fan here. Do not try and tackle this mod unless you are somewhat fluent with the way ARMA plays. Sounds like you do though.

You need Combined Operations to play the game and that's part of Operation Arrowhead expansion. I own all the expansions. My friend and I tried this out completely green but with the help of someone who has played it a bit and had gear....we lasted about an hour. Lol. It's pretty tough but I really like the concept. Unfortunately for me, the game is just too glitchy to play. Maybe I just need to find a better server but all the zombies and the couple actual players I saw were not moving smooth. I mean, really? This was a server I got a ~30ms ping. That's damn good! So it made it tough to shoot guys in the dark running or not. Blah blah blah. Again, I love the concept but I had a tough time. You start out with nothing and have to find bodies or stashes with something to defend yourself with. It is a truely intense experience. I'll have to try it again sometime.

Let me know if you get this working and hit me up on Steam. I'll try and play it with you. Lol by "try" I mean, have it run well enough (no glitches or lag). It's good to have a buddy, I say. smile.gif

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #3 of 38 Old 08-15-2012, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Yeah, it's really tough. Pretty much everyone I've run into will shoot on sight... including someone who I protected by killing the zombies chasing him with my axe... who then proceeded to shoot me as soon as he found a gun.

My biggest problem, so far as glitches are concerned is doors/ small openings. Probably 75% of the time, I just can't go through an open door without getting stuck on it and wasting 15-20 seconds trying to get out.

The DayZ standalone version was announced, but I don't think a release date has been announced for that yet.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #4 of 38 Old 08-16-2012, 04:09 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've had it downloaded and installed for a couple weeks, but I just haven't had the time to play it yet.
post #5 of 38 Old 08-16-2012, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: guarding my retirement igloo...with a McMillan TAC-50 long range sniper rifle
here is good DayZ youtube chan. Run by an ex marine and played with a lot of mil pple.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheDevildogGamer?feature=g-u-u

You do not stop playing because you get old...
You get old because you stop playing.
post #6 of 38 Old 08-16-2012, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 256
DayZ is going to become a stand alone game. I've been playing it for a few months but the hackers ruined it. It's not even fun anymore. I'll still give the stand alone game a shot as well as World War Z when it hits.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #7 of 38 Old 08-17-2012, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Thanks for all the responses. I think DayZ will need some kind of single play with bots. If they can script all those scenarios and have them be different every time, they can script out some companions who wont turn on you unless you shoot them. I know its not that easy but.....this is the kind of game so many of us would probably play. "So its kinda like an MMO only a zombie apocalypse? No Orcs? No Space Unicorns? No? Awesome".

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #8 of 38 Old 08-17-2012, 03:47 PM
Bass Enabler

Hahah. Exactly. Don't need none of them swords and dragons and s**t. tongue.gif

DayZ can be some real intense fun but yeah, it would be nice if there was some form of SP campaign. At least just to get one aquainted with how the game works.

Find a buddy and try it out.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

post #9 of 38 Old 08-20-2012, 06:25 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Fun game, but I also had to stop playing because of the hackers. They would kill everyone on the server for fun at the press of a button (i think when someone killed them) and it happened to me many times a day. That, and many other things. Kinda sad. Also, kinda scary at how self centered and blindly ignorant of other peoples emotions/happiness they could be. Everyone i heard on the comms was a very young kid. Probably had no idea the grief they were causing....and thats just f'ing to ME! What about the other 50 people? .......I digress...
post #10 of 38 Old 08-27-2012, 01:47 AM
Bass Enabler

Good news!!

Just wanted AVS pc gamers know, I bought a DayZ server tonight. MaraficeEye and I are running it. At the time of this posted, I have it closed but it will be open most evenings. I bought it cuz Marafice and myself were tired of dealing with lame servers, lame time zones and REALLY lame other people. The server is technically a public server but we kick other players and lock them from joining whenever possible. Whatever must be done to enjoy the game and not get shot by some a-hole for no reason.

Sooo...

Those of you on the fence about playing it cuz you're worred about some a-hole shooting you, look no further! There will be requirements in order to play on our server though. Besides having the most current version, you must PM me on here first in order to gain entrance. Also, I will only cater to AVS regulars (no lurkers). Sorry, but I have no time to deal with people I don't know. Contact me through this thread, Steam or better yet by PM and we will work something out. I'll have this server for at least this month so try it before I shut it down. There is 40 slots so there WILL be plenty of room. Server is based in LA so west coasters should get a <50 ping but east coasters should very well get a nice ping anyway.

Again, if you're looking to try this out and want some help to survive and not deal with a-hole rando's killing you.... hit me up.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

post #11 of 38 Old 08-27-2012, 05:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

Good news!!
Just wanted AVS pc gamers know, I bought a DayZ server tonight. MaraficeEye and I are running it. At the time of this posted, I have it closed but it will be open most evenings. I bought it cuz Marafice and myself were tired of dealing with lame servers, lame time zones and REALLY lame other people. The server is technically a public server but we kick other players and lock them from joining whenever possible. Whatever must be done to enjoy the game and not get shot by some a-hole for no reason.
Sooo...
Those of you on the fence about playing it cuz you're worred about some a-hole shooting you, look no further! There will be requirements in order to play on our server though. Besides having the most current version, you must PM me on here first in order to gain entrance. Also, I will only cater to AVS regulars (no lurkers). Sorry, but I have no time to deal with people I don't know. Contact me through this thread, Steam or better yet by PM and we will work something out. I'll have this server for at least this month so try it before I shut it down. There is 40 slots so there WILL be plenty of room. Server is based in LA so west coasters should get a <50 ping but east coasters should very well get a nice ping anyway.
Again, if you're looking to try this out and want some help to survive and not deal with a-hole rando's killing you.... hit me up.

Yuuuup! Whole incident that sparked him getting this server was bullcrap. We'd been playing on a public server, and got close to getting some decent gear. Well when we logged back in (we'd logged out near each other, but not near enough to cause the glitch) I still had my gear but was way off in some other direction. So I start making my way back towards him, with nothing that good on me other than a Lee Enfield with no ammo (stuck away in my backpack) and a hatchet, which I was carrying. I happen across a medium value loot area and start looking around to see if I find anything worthwhile, just some bandages and other general stuff. I've been there for a few minutes and I'm finally ready to leave. I head back downstairs, pass an open doorway and bam, 1 supressed round right through the head. No warning, no 'hey what are you doing here?' nothing. Just "oh hey look another player with no weapon but an axe, I better shoot him just because" Screw those douches... lol

Marafice Eye <--- All gamertags listed there - Twitch TV Channel YouTube Channel
__________________________________________________ _
Plan9Reloaded Co-host
Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast
post #12 of 38 Old 08-27-2012, 04:09 PM
Bass Enabler

Quite an interesting adventure we had yesterday. Unfortunately quite deadly for Marafice. We had both quit the previous day in this large barn, presumably in totally safety. Somehow there was a glitch and I had spawned in the barn all alone near the very north-east of a quite large map. Thankfully, he had spawned only kilometers away down the coast and we had decided to meet up at some determined half-way point of our choosing. Being alone at the top of the map sure was something. At the time all I had was an M16a2 with no ammo and my hatchet. To our credit, we had just scrounged through a large hospital and took all we could carry so I had a rather large amount of medical supplies. The only crap part is the item: a bloodpack. Which heals the player completely, can only be administered by another player. Crap! Thankfully, I was not hurt but the long journey to meet up with my buddy had PLENTY of oppurtunity to have something bad happen.

We picked a town and we both made a straight up sprint for this town. I can only illustrate from my own POV as Marafice had a more straightforward route, mine started off with a run for my life. Outside the barn was a small town littered with zombies. I only had a map and a watch to let me know which direction to head. I picked a reference (a nearby medium sized forrest covered mountain) and ran, all while the world was about to be covered in darkness as the sun had just set. Running through streets and fields and managed to get half the town following me. Not good! I just kept on running and running. Only looking back to see how many were screaming at me. By the time I got to the top of the mountain, most had given up but I still had three ravenous beings on my ass ready to eat it. Hatcheted them down real quick but not before one could break my leg. Great! Thankfully, I had some morphine on me. Cured! Whew!!! Got my bearings and continued.

Up and down several hills, avoiding major roads, fields, towns. Keeping mostly to the edge of forrest areas, I was safe for most of the way to my friend and our meetup point. Still, the voyage felt truely intense. Marafice and myself were on voice chat the whole time but I still felt alone and in great peril. Every so often checking my map to see how close I was to our meetup. I was nearly to the meet, maybe a town away when Marafice declared he was going to search a location that was of medium value. Take in mind at this point we still had no ammo for our weapons and mostly average gear. It was worth a check but in hindsight a poor choice on a public server. As mentioned above (and I was surely listening on the mic) he had just finished a quick loot and was on his way out. "Oh! I'm dead." "What!?!! *Marafice Eye has been killed* "Yep. Some f**ker shot me." "G'damnit!"

Lots of yelling, thought he was gonna rage quit but he pushed on. As if we weren't far enough from each other(I had gear I could give him) he was now spawned litterally and I mean litteraly as far away as physically possible on the map. Now we had a REAL challenge ahead of us. Now Marafice was completely stripped of gear, lost everything and we had miles and miles to get to each other. Not only that but I had to cross through some open fields that were very close to where he was shot. I ducked down, went prone and ordered our server. Heh. Suffice to say we had a two hour wait til it was up and running. We used this time to try and meet up....again. Long story short, we did. Again, with much peril. Lol.

If your read that and thoght it was interesting or even sounded fun, join the eff up with me and Marafice on our own server where you dont have to worry about getting shot by some....dude. smile.gif

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

post #13 of 38 Old 08-29-2012, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 256
I may be on this weekend Scott. I'll drop you a line if I do.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #14 of 38 Old 08-29-2012, 11:40 PM
Bass Enabler

Cool! That would be real great. You won't have to worry about hackers or douche bag looters. wink.gif

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

post #15 of 38 Old 11-05-2012, 02:42 PM
Bass Enabler

Second chances for all!

Yup. I re-subscribed to the service and own (rent) my own DayZ server again. However, things are different this time. Before, we had a "public" server but kept it off or locked when possible. This was against the user agreement from where I rented the server from. Lol. We didn't get in trouble though but it was a PITA and inconvenient for other people we allowed in. Also, the constant on/off cycle royally screwed up loot and stuff. Now the service allows not only private servers but entirely private hives. That of which we have. A private server on a private hive. It will remain on for all intents and purposes. Only going down when changes are made. Before there was only one map, the main map, Chernarus. Now... we have access to half a dozen maps. We are currently running a newer map called Panthera. It's pretty cool.

Anyway.... if anyone is interested in playing, hit me up. I can allow access to our private server.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

post #16 of 38 Old 11-05-2012, 08:17 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Sounds like a fun time but I've got tons of games in my backlog to finish up. I still have 2 games from gamefly that have been here for over a month that I haven't touched yet.

Never played ARMA or flashpoint, but it sounds like the type of game I dig, at least the concept/difficulty. I have no idea what type of game it is really.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #17 of 38 Old 11-14-2012, 05:45 PM

Just bought Arma II CO and plan on downloading the DayZ mod in the near future. After I get aquainted with the game I will probably send a pm to you Scott if that's ok.

2011 Buick Regal turbo owner
post #18 of 38 Old 11-14-2012, 06:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozbyrt View Post

Just bought Arma II CO and plan on downloading the DayZ mod in the near future. After I get aquainted with the game I will probably send a pm to you Scott if that's ok.

We can help you get a feel for the game, save you the hardship of joining a public server and trying to learn it all while getting shot at.

Also a tip. Download and instal DayZ Commander. Absolutely the best program for installing DayZ hassle free, as well as the other maps, and keeping it all up to date. Also a great server finder.

Marafice Eye <--- All gamertags listed there - Twitch TV Channel YouTube Channel
Plan9Reloaded Co-host
post #19 of 38 Old 11-14-2012, 06:44 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Is the whole thing worth it just to play Dayz? I don't think I would play the normal game. I was just watching a youtube movie of some guys playing. Looks frantic.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #20 of 38 Old 11-14-2012, 07:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post

Is the whole thing worth it just to play Dayz? I don't think I would play the normal game. I was just watching a youtube movie of some guys playing. Looks frantic.

I say yes, DayZ is fun, but there's a lot more to the game. Heck just screwing around in the Armory mode in co-op is a blast, then the campaigns, the added DLCs, everything. I've only dabbled in the normal multiplayer and it's relatively fun. There's also the ACE mod which is incredible from what I've seen.

Here's nearly a 2 hour video of me and Scott just messing around in the Armory lol.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host
post #21 of 38 Old 11-17-2012, 10:33 AM

Thanks Marafice for the info!

post #22 of 38 Old 11-17-2012, 06:26 PM
Advanced Member

Anyone wanting to play just add me on Steam (marafice_eye) or Scott (Infrasonic07) and we'll get you set up and transported to base camp if you'd like.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host
post #23 of 38 Old 11-18-2012, 05:24 PM
Advanced Member

I'd like to set up a sort of Battle Royale type game but I'd like at least 6 people total at the lease, so we need 4 more. Basically the way it would work is we'd all put our gear away at camp and then get killed so we start fresh, and from there, it's last man standing wins. No going back to the camp, it would be off limits, but anywhere else is fair game. You can kill other participants, and they of course can kill you. It will be 1 life, and if you get killed by zombies, tough luck.

Anyone interested?

EDIT: and if we get enough players it could be team pairs.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host
post #24 of 38 Old 11-19-2012, 09:45 AM
Bass Enabler

That would be cool. Tough chance getting any of these guys to join up though. rolleyes.giftongue.gif

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

post #25 of 38 Old 11-19-2012, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

That would be cool. Tough chance getting any of these guys to join up though. rolleyes.giftongue.gif

Got Yrd on it. Was teaching the basics yesterday.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host
post #26 of 38 Old 11-24-2012, 08:16 PM

Ok Marafice Eye I sent you a friend request on steam. My user name is cozbyrt on there as well.

post #27 of 38 Old 11-24-2012, 08:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozbyrt View Post

Ok Marafice Eye I sent you a friend request on steam. My user name is cozbyrt on there as well.

Got it, not sure when I'll be jumping on DayZ this week, between jury duty and PlanetSide 2 lol. I'll find some time somewhere.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host
post #28 of 38 Old 11-26-2012, 08:48 AM

I played it for a bit, hated the controls and the graphics. Switched to The War Z... they are still in Alpha, but are making great strides and I think it will eventually beat out DayZ....better graphics, fluid controls, and soon to be missions and things that you can actually do.
post #29 of 38 Old 11-26-2012, 05:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek1387 View Post

I played it for a bit, hated the controls and the graphics. Switched to The War Z... they are still in Alpha, but are making great strides and I think it will eventually beat out DayZ....better graphics, fluid controls, and soon to be missions and things that you can actually do.

Well someone clearly didn't mess with the video options enough as ARMA 2 is one of the best looking games on the PC when you turn up the settings. I agree the controls leave some to be desired at first, but given a few hours, they're easy and relatively fluid. Also everything you're saying that makes WarZ so much better... yeah, hello standalone DayZ releasing this december. You claim WarZ is so much better, and it's only in Alpha, so is DayZ. And WarZ looking better?... Ha, built on an already horrible engine and barely changed. I've seen WarZ in action, and it looks like CoD and L4D had the worst baby imaginable.

Look, you have your opinion, and I have mine, but why you even bothered to open this thread when you had already quit, just to badmouth a mod.... boggles the mind. Good day sir.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host
post #30 of 38 Old 11-27-2012, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marafice Eye View Post

Got it, not sure when I'll be jumping on DayZ this week, between jury duty and PlanetSide 2 lol. I'll find some time somewhere.

No rush. Just letting you know. Plus I seem to only be able to play dayz through the servers listed under the arma II multiplayer option. Dayz commander not recognizing the arma II instillation. I will have to work on resolving that issue.

Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page