Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 08-16-2012, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Well the reviews have been coming out on the new card:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6159/the-geforce-gtx-660-ti-review

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-660-ti-benchmark-review,3279.html

Seems to be different overall impressions based on who is reviewing the card. This is the card I've been personally waiting for, but I'm not sure yet if I'm going to make the upgrade. Just thought I'd post this so everyone is aware of it's existance!

"Live to Win!"
XBL: RandomNinjaAtk
www.stevenohare.com - Personal Blog
www.oharesites.com - Domain Names, Web Hosting, Email Hosting and more
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-16-2012, 11:10 AM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 616
Yep. Just got the email from NewEgg. This is a pretty decent buy but I have my eyes on a 4gig 670 right now. cool.gif

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #3 of 15 Old 08-16-2012, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Wow. seems like a very good card for the price.. might upgrade my 6770 smile.gif
post #4 of 15 Old 08-16-2012, 10:00 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
will this card work with my set up
i3 2105
giga H67
crucial m4 128
samsung 2tb
lite on bd/dvd/cd
g skill 4gb 2x2 1600
pc cooling 400W

Im having hard time finding out how much power everything takes. I read recommended psu 450W and up, can i get away with psu i have or upgrade need ?
post #5 of 15 Old 08-16-2012, 10:17 PM

Liked: 11
I told myself at the beginning of the summer that I would wait for the 660ti to come out before I picked between AMD and Nvidia fir my build. I couldn't wait any longer so I ordered a 7850 and through happy/unhappy circumstances I got 2 'for the price of 1. It's good to see the reviews on these things though!
post #6 of 15 Old 08-19-2012, 09:24 AM

Help still a noob i knew i wanted video card .but failed to plan ahead
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistadelloco View Post

i3 2105
giga H67
crucial m4 128
samsung 2tb
lite on bd/dvd/cd
g skill 4gb 2x2 1600
pc cooling 400W
Im having hard time finding out how much power everything takes. I read recommended psu 450W and up, can i get away with psu i have or upgrade need ?
post #7 of 15 Old 08-19-2012, 10:35 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 35
Quote:

i3 2105
giga H67
crucial m4 128
samsung 2tb
lite on bd/dvd/cd
g skill 4gb 2x2 1600
pc cooling 400W
Quote:

Help still a noob i knew i wanted video card .but failed to plan ahead

Not too much power usage in your setup. i3 is a 65W user. 660TI at max power consumption is around 312 watts. 377 watts. Add 10 watts for your other peripherals, you are getting close.
However, according to this power consumption calculator (with a 670 vid card), you would be around 353 watts, and 389 watts at 100% load. http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine
Your PC cooling power supply seems decent with single +12V rail at up to 30A.

A benchmark test like prime 95 just might shutdown your pc, but normal gaming you would probably get by.

Try it and see. If your power supply can't cut it, you can get them awful cheap on Newegg. Just watch for their weekend deals and shell shockers.
post #8 of 15 Old 08-20-2012, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I never get my systems PRIME stable....they always fail...but in day to day use and 99% of gaming, the clocks stand up.......you'd need your system Prime95 stable if you were doing, say, a lot of NLVE or something...

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #9 of 15 Old 08-20-2012, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

I usually get my pc builds Prime stable. I am not a huge overclocker though. I recently built a PC for a friend that was 25% overclocked (since it was a K processor and he ordered a bad ass aftermarket fan and heatsink). It was stable with Prime and OCCT (which I prefer). Also, overclocking with those AS Rock motherboards is soooo easy. First time I had ever seen a BIOS like that.
post #10 of 15 Old 08-20-2012, 11:58 AM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 616
Prime stable?

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #11 of 15 Old 08-20-2012, 04:24 PM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwing View Post

Not too much power usage in your setup. i3 is a 65W user. 660TI at max power consumption is around 312 watts. 377 watts. Add 10 watts for your other peripherals, you are getting close.
However, according to this power consumption calculator (with a 670 vid card), you would be around 353 watts, and 389 watts at 100% load. http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine
A benchmark test like prime 95 just might shutdown your pc, but normal gaming you would probably get by.

Try it and see. If your power supply can't cut it, you can get them awful cheap on Newegg. Just watch for their weekend deals and shell shockers.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but if these numbers are accurate, wouldn't that be 32.4 amps running on a 30 amp rail?

389 W / 12 V = 32.4 A

I would just spend the extra money and get a better PSU.
post #12 of 15 Old 08-20-2012, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwing View Post

Thanks for feed back. i do plan on upgrading psu but not till i get new heatsink. Just wanted to check if i can get by for now . The video card is top of my list to upgrade. No major gaming yet i still perfer consoles,but wanting to try TF2, left 4 dead. Also since i dont know how to overclock ive decided to go with Gigabyte ver. overclock out the box.
post #13 of 15 Old 08-20-2012, 08:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwatkins View Post

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but if these numbers are accurate, wouldn't that be 32.4 amps running on a 30 amp rail?
389 W / 12 V = 32.4 A
I would just spend the extra money and get a better PSU.

Yes you are correct, but if these numbers are accurate (from the power consumption calculator): 353 watts/ 12 volts = 29.4A. Games like TF2 and LFD2 he just might get by. Running games like that he won't see full load on processor or vid card. Even if he does plan on getting a new PSU, won't hurt to try the currently one.
post #14 of 15 Old 08-20-2012, 09:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

Prime stable?

Talking about Prime 95 and OCCT stress tests. Great to use if you build PC's for other people (or even yourself). Stress test the PC overnight or several hours (depending on which program you are using). Great for finding weak links in RAM or cpu temperatures. Really easy to use. OCCT is cool because it will show all of your temps even when you are not stress testing. While it is open, you can play a game like Crysis 2 or another intensive game, then close out the game and see how hot your cpu and motherboard got. Dual monitors and you could watch the temps in real time as you play the game. Really cool and simple. Many programs that do this but I really like OCCT. There is even a vid card and PSU stress test. Its fee too.

Check out some good info here: http://www.ocbase.com/index.php/support
post #15 of 15 Old 08-24-2012, 01:48 AM

hey, anyone know if i can use this like my radeon and hdmi direct into the video card for audio process on my receiver?

I know radeon can do it for sure but never try nvidia and the website specification don't show DTS master or DD true HD.

It also require a new future update for surround sound 7.1. (but i am using 5.1 on my receiver.
Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page