Trouble with GTA4 and my Dual 670's.... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-17-2012, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Grand Theft Auto 4, basically, refuses to work since i swapped out my 580 and put two 670's in its place.

What happens is, the game starts to load as normal (mine is activated through steam) but then as soon as I get done putting in my club Rockstar information, the app immediately loses focus and you're looking at your desktop, with the GTA4 icon running in taskbar. If you click it, GTA4 regains focus and you see the intro screens and, in my case, the choice screen to choose between GTA4 or the LatD/Ballad Gay Tony add on packs I believe.
You click on that, and eventually you go to load your last game, and everything is fine.

But once the game starts to load, the windows live screen shows up, once I put that info in, the screen goes black.....the audio for the level loading is running but you dont see the loading screens....you know, roman, all the game-loading screens they use, none of them show up. when the game is done loading you hear the "ping" from the game and then, boom, the game dumps you back to desktop. If you try clicking on the GTA4 icon this time, it just sits there, it never regains focus. It immediately goes back to being a button in its off state. Alt-tabbing to the game gives the same result, nothing, just back to the desktop to try something else. the game refuses to regain focus.

The ONE TIME I got it to work, was when I got into the game and started a NEw game rather than load an old save. And guess what, it worked. But the performance, oh my god, it was worse than when i had my GTX 580 in there.

I know that GTA4 doesn't work well with SLI, its not supported well and this game is really CPU dependent.....my 4.8ghz i7 does the job, but the performance was sooooo bad in game I couldn't tell if SLI was working or what, I mean the 580 performance smoked what I was seeing from the two 670's, and the frames were like 90fps, turn a few degrees...24 fps.....turn back, back up to 90. It was silly, I knew something was up..but...I have no idea what. I just verified my cache with steam and its fine...not sure what to try next. I hope my save games are not dead, I'd finished the game and I think only had that one save slot used the last few missions :P

Anyone have any ideas? Thx.

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-17-2012, 03:44 PM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 612
Remove/disable one 670gtx and see if the results are replicated. That's what I'd try to do first off, especially knowing that 'gta4 doesn't like SLI'. wink.gif

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #3 of 5 Old 08-21-2012, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I disabled it to be one GPU, same thing......could be the 301 drivers.....hard to say, its the only game refusing to run correctly for me at the moment.

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #4 of 5 Old 08-21-2012, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Drop your clocks back to stock and give it a test. This could be the game that tells you that your overclock is not stable.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-21-2012, 02:47 PM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 612
Oh! Are you using MSI Afterburner software or anything like that?

I remember when the ENB mod came out everyone using it had to disable it completely. Definitely try this if you are using that software or similar.

Totally forgot about it. redface.gif

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page