Using a 360 gamepad to activate a program - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 08-20-2012, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
In anticipation for Steam Big Picture, I was wanting to ask if I can use my gamepad (like a 360 controller) to activate a program, similarly to using your remote with a HTPC, or even using it to boot up your computer and start up menu, and go directly to Steam Big Picture by pressing the Xbox button once, and I can shut it down directly with the gamepad too (which can be done with Big Picture); basically make it plug and play. Are there any programs that can create a button command to start up a program?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-23-2012, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Ah, your in luck. You will find exactly what you want here: xpadder.com. I have been using it for 2 years now with an xbox controller in replacement of a regular remote for movies and emulators. You will have to buy the windows xbox controller kit though but its worth it.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-23-2012, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Xpadder is a chunky mess that requires far too much fiddling to get working.
post #4 of 9 Old 08-23-2012, 03:11 PM

Liked: 11
I was in a similar situation and this program was perfect

http://nirklars.wordpress.com/xboxmouse/

It makes the xbox contoller like a mouse, It's perfect, I just put the shortcut into the startup folder and it starts with windows. There's a lot of great hotkeys too.

post #5 of 9 Old 08-23-2012, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 164
It's really too bad that the Guide button doesn't do anything useful (in fact, now that I think about it, I haven't seen it do anything lately. I know it used to give a popup about battery status or something like that, but that hasn't done anything for me for a while). As far as I know you can't even map it in something like Xpadder.

I know I'd love to map it to launch Steam myself.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #6 of 9 Old 08-23-2012, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002whitegt View Post

I was in a similar situation and this program was perfect
http://nirklars.wordpress.com/xboxmouse/
It makes the xbox contoller like a mouse, It's perfect, I just put the shortcut into the startup folder and it starts with windows. There's a lot of great hotkeys too.

Thanks! I just tried it, and it is pretty good, although there is an issue with the on screen keyboard not programming correctly unless I run as admin. Would have been great to use the D-pad at-least to select the keys on the on screen keyboard. I can transition from desktop to steam to something like GTA IV easily, but I found out an issue with the radio stations on the game aren't working right (driver issue).

Also isn't the center button basically the Home button? I haven't tried it out, but I'd figure someone would figure it out.
post #7 of 9 Old 08-25-2012, 09:48 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

Xpadder is a chunky mess that requires far too much fiddling to get working.

It depends on what you want to do. I wanted the ability to load multiple profiles for anything from general use, to home theater, or all emulators that can be configured to mimic each emulated systems controller, SNES, NES, MAME, etc. It might seem like a mess but I consider it a precision tool that lets you design your own controller exactly the way you want it.
joe531 likes this.
post #8 of 9 Old 08-27-2012, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Set up XBMC and you can use a controller to launch games or anything. It's basically a XBMC profile + Advanced Launcher add-on.
post #9 of 9 Old 08-28-2012, 04:21 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by taskman View Post

It depends on what you want to do. I wanted the ability to load multiple profiles for anything from general use, to home theater, or all emulators that can be configured to mimic each emulated systems controller, SNES, NES, MAME, etc. It might seem like a mess but I consider it a precision tool that lets you design your own controller exactly the way you want it.

Same. Xpadder is an essential piece of software on my HTPC. Combined with XBMC and different batch files, I can easily run emulators, older games like GTA III and newer games like Batman AC with ease.
Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page