post #31 of 35 Old 09-14-2012, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/09/11/finally-an-in-built-way-to-choose-steam-install-locations/
I just reinstalled Windows a couple weeks ago and in the process dropped my old Steam folder that hadn't been touched in a couple months in to the new Steam install. All 132 of my installed games popped up with the format conversion warning when I Verified Integrity Of Game Cache to force detection of the games. I haven't looked in to it particularly deeply, but I would guess that everything installed now uses the new content system. Old legacy stuff that is already sitting on your machine may still be using the old system, but will be converted when you do an integrity check.
So, select your new install folder. Everything you download from now on should go there regardless of the age of the game.

Did you have to move the GCF/NCF files too, or just the folder containing the game install?

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 35 Old 09-14-2012, 12:58 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 175
I know it wasn't impossible to move your entire steam folder after either reinstalling windows or getting a new HD or whatever, but this is a much better option. Thank god.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post

I've been using it, but when I need to reinstall Windows in the near future (wiping the SSD), there's not going to be any way (that I know of) to easily redo the hard links to re-add the games to Steam again from the HDD.

I've kept my steam folder backed up and moved it between windows installs. But to move it there's a couple steps you need to do, which I don't remember. I'll see if I can find the text file I copied the process to or the link I got it from. But you have to just move the entire steam folder. I don't have any symbolic link installs so I never had to deal with any of that.

Took some effort to find this file on my computer, really hidden in one of my backups...
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Moving Your Steam Installation
Important:

Please ensure that you have your Steam account name and password before following this procedure. Also ensure that your account is linked to your current email address so that you can reset your password if necessary.

It is not recommended that you install Steam to an external hard drive due to potential performance issues.
Warning:

It is highly recommended that you create a backup of your SteamApps folder before attempting this process. If there is a problem in this process and you do not have a backup of your games or the SteamApps folder, it will be necessary to reinstall the games individually. Please see the Using the Steam Backup Feature topic.

The following instructions are a simple way to move your Steam installation along with your games:

Exit the Steam client application.
Browse to the Steam installation folder for the Steam installation you would like to move (C:\Program Files\Steam by default).
Delete all of the files and folders except the SteamApps folder and Steam.exe
Cut and paste the whole Steam folder to the new location, for example: D:\Games\Steam\
Launch Steam and log into your account.

Steam will briefly update and then you will be logged into your account. For installed games, verify your game cache files and you will be ready to play. All future game content will be downloaded to the new folder (D:\Games\Steam\SteamApps\ in this example)

If you encounter any errors during the move process or when Steam is launched from the new location, it may be necessary to perform a more thorough process:

Exit the Steam client application.
Browse to the Steam installation folder for the Steam installation (continuing the from the last section example, this would be the new location of D:\Games\Steam\.
Move the SteamApps folder from the Steam installation folder to your desktop.
Review the Uninstalling Steam topic for instructions to uninstall Steam (this must be done to remove your old Steam installation settings from the Windows Registry).
Review the Installing Steam topic for instructions to re-install Steam to the desired location.
Move the SteamApps folder into the new Steam installation folder to copy all of your downloaded game content, settings, and saved games to the new location.
Start Steam and log in to your existing Steam account to confirm that the move was successful.
For installed games, verify your game cache files and you will be ready to play.

Important:

If you are moving your Steam installation to a new hard drive and want to keep game saves/profiles for third party games that are not saved on Steam Cloud most of these can be found in your Documents folder: ~\Documents\[username]\My Games\. Moving this folder to the same location on your new hard drive will maintain your saves/profiles.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #33 of 35 Old 09-15-2012, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002whitegt View Post

All you have to do is drop an xml file into a folder. Here's a how to:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=135871
Here is what a Valve employee said about the possibility of a JotoKey like app being built in:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=32765769&postcount=132
Personally I would love to play all 3 mass effects on my pc with mods sitting back on my couch.

I tried to do this, although I'm kind of confused of the file location, because the file location isn't consistent on windows 7, since I have to use search to find "Appdata". I'm also using a PS3 controller with motioninjoy with a 360 emulator and drivers, if I wondered if that is a problem. I'm going to get a Media Center remote for XBMC soon as well as the 360 wireless receiver.

That would be awesome if they got the app, although I believe it shouldn't be hard to do. They did a lot of updates on Steam recently, it wouldn't be hard to do it. Valve at least needs to update their games with real gamepad support (even Left 4 Dead 2 is a PITA with menu navigation.).
post #34 of 35 Old 09-15-2012, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 93
"Did you have to move the GCF/NCF files too, or just the folder containing the game install?"

Anything that you fail to properly move Steam should just automatically redownload. I just hold on to my Steamapps folder whenever I need to reinstall stuff.
post #35 of 35 Old 09-15-2012, 02:26 PM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/09/11/finally-an-in-built-way-to-choose-steam-install-locations/
I just reinstalled Windows a couple weeks ago and in the process dropped my old Steam folder that hadn't been touched in a couple months in to the new Steam install. All 132 of my installed games popped up with the format conversion warning when I Verified Integrity Of Game Cache to force detection of the games. I haven't looked in to it particularly deeply, but I would guess that everything installed now uses the new content system. Old legacy stuff that is already sitting on your machine may still be using the old system, but will be converted when you do an integrity check.
So, select your new install folder. Everything you download from now on should go there regardless of the age of the game.

Worked like a charm! Thank you, James for the hookup. biggrin.gif

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page