Steam's "Big Picture" mode - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 35 Old 09-08-2012, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 188

Playing Steam games from your comfy couch just got more comfy.
Quote:
A "public test" for Steam's big picture mode, a television-friendly redesign of Valve's online store and gaming platform, kicks off on Monday, according to a New York Times story about the company's evolution from developer to gaming tech company.

"On Monday, the company will begin a public test of a new television-friendly interface, Big Picture, for buying Steam games and playing them on computers in the living room," according to the story.

Last month, Valve product designer Greg Coomer told GameTrailer's TV that a beta for the new interface would be coming in early September.

Big picture mode offers simple, easy-to-read navigation designed specifically for TV, according to the official site.

"With full controller support, big-picture mode will let gamers kick back and enjoy their favorite games on the biggest screen in the house Steam's big-picture mode doesn't require any additional development from you. Just ensure your game works well with a controller, and we'll take care of the rest. And don't worry, keyboard and mouse aren't going anywhere-users will be able to switch between input devices at any time."

Linky

It'd be something if it was good enough to replace the MotionJoy app I use with my Bluetooth DS3 controller, but somehow I doubt it. I'm still interested in what enhancements are offered, like bigger font sizes.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 09-10-2012, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 139
There's a few screenshots now:

http://www.kotaku.com/5941793/valve-is-bringing-steam-to-your-tv-today-watch-out-consoles

xlarge.jpg
xlarge.jpg
xlarge.jpg
xlarge.jpg

And more at the link.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #3 of 35 Old 09-10-2012, 09:09 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Keyboard is going to be a nice feature.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #4 of 35 Old 09-10-2012, 09:19 AM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 638
Looks pretty good. Just about what I expected of such.

Where is DLJ to celebrate?

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #5 of 35 Old 09-10-2012, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

post #6 of 35 Old 09-10-2012, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 704
By the power of Grayskull I summon Dark Lord James the ever loving...
post #7 of 35 Old 09-10-2012, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

I just did a manual update check and got the update, 63MB in size. I do already have beta client updates turned on in settings, so I'm not sure if that had anything to do with it. Initial impressions are it's pretty nice.

Works decently enough with both my Media Center remote and a 360 controller. It now maps the Guide button on a 360 controller to the Steam Overlay when in-game, which is pretty nice. RT+ Guide for screenshots.

It also runs in either 720p or 1080p.

I can't seem to find an option to make it always start in Big Picture mode though.

post #8 of 35 Old 09-10-2012, 04:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

By the power of Grayskull I summon Dark Lord James the ever loving...

I read this while hearing the music from the youtube clip above it, and for some reason can't stop laughing.
post #9 of 35 Old 09-10-2012, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Just saw a post that if you use the argument -bigpicture on your shortcut then it'll start in Big Picture mode, so that solves that problem.

post #10 of 35 Old 09-10-2012, 08:09 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Downloading it now, see what all the fuss is about.

The noises made from pushing buttons has to go, and I couldn't find a setting to disable it. Highly annoying.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #11 of 35 Old 09-10-2012, 11:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post

Just saw a post that if you use the argument -bigpicture on your shortcut then it'll start in Big Picture mode, so that solves that problem.

Thank you.

Little update on -bigpicture. It appears that it works when you first start steam, but if you press exit, that turns big picture off and you are back to normal steam. I think if you press the xbox button on the controller it flips back, but still I would like the ability to just force big picture to always be on.

Also everyone get involved and give valve feedback. One work around to the noises might be to open the windows sound mixer and turn down steam. Have not tried it though.

This is really a great day that was a long time coming for PC gaming. Its almost sad it took this long now that PCs seem to be shifting too small tablet and laptop devices that cant game.
post #12 of 35 Old 09-11-2012, 01:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I've tried it and think it is pretty cool, though I am so accustomed to my HTPC setup that I prefer the old Steam right now. One thing that is great - my MotionJoy app synchs well with Big Picture, giving me 100% functionality with my Bluetooth DS3 controller.

I wish the default web page size could be made a LOT bigger. Right now it is set for tiny monitors and I prefer a full 16x9 option, especially if I choose to use my keyboard to type. You can hold control and zoom with the mouse wheel, but the settings aren't saved and you need to do it on every new page. With the controller the /\ button zooms in and out (simulating the Y button), but even then it starts off way too small.

post #13 of 35 Old 09-11-2012, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, I also find that page rendering is sometimes really slow in the browser, considering I'm running a Q6600 on that PC.

It's not perfect, and I've also made a bunch of suggestions and comments in the community for it, but it's definitely a really nice looking start.

post #14 of 35 Old 09-11-2012, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PubFiction View Post

Thank you.
Little update on -bigpicture. It appears that it works when you first start steam, but if you press exit, that turns big picture off and you are back to normal steam.

Yeah, I think that they should give you on option that that Exit button should exit Steam, which would of course then 'free up' the account to be used on another computer. As it is now is a little dumb, I think. But yeah I already mentioned that in the Valve community there.

post #15 of 35 Old 09-11-2012, 02:04 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
I like it. Much more fluid and responsive than xbox live (and that was just on my laptop). Agree that exit should exit steam completely.
post #16 of 35 Old 09-12-2012, 07:34 AM

Liked: 11
I really like it, this makes me want to move my pc back to the media room. I was messing around with it and I love how xbmc works with it also. Here's a quick video I made of how well it works.

post #17 of 35 Old 09-13-2012, 01:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002whitegt View Post

I really like it, this makes me want to move my pc back to the media room. I was messing around with it and I love how xbmc works with it also. Here's a quick video I made of how well it works.

Hey Thanks for the video. I've been playing around with Big Picture for a while and really enjoyed it. I was wondering how do you control XBMC without needing JoyToKey? I tried to use Advanced Launcher in the other thread (which was more on game emulators, not gamepads) and didn't really understood it. The mainly streamlined method is to use Xboxmouse and use the arrow keys, mainly since you can easily hotkey it and not as easily with JoyToKey. It would be freaking awesome if Steam had it's own JoyToKey-like app that can be activated for each individual game, and even the option to download profiles for unsupported games by the community; that and an option of a virtual gamepad mouse could significantly improve Big Picture in convenience, yet be alot easier to implement than updating most of the games. Games updated with native gamepad support is preferred if they could though. smile.gif
post #18 of 35 Old 09-13-2012, 05:09 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor2010 View Post

Hey Thanks for the video. I've been playing around with Big Picture for a while and really enjoyed it. I was wondering how do you control XBMC without needing JoyToKey? I tried to use Advanced Launcher in the other thread (which was more on game emulators, not gamepads) and didn't really understood it. The mainly streamlined method is to use Xboxmouse and use the arrow keys, mainly since you can easily hotkey it and not as easily with JoyToKey. It would be freaking awesome if Steam had it's own JoyToKey-like app that can be activated for each individual game, and even the option to download profiles for unsupported games by the community; that and an option of a virtual gamepad mouse could significantly improve Big Picture in convenience, yet be alot easier to implement than updating most of the games. Games updated with native gamepad support is preferred if they could though. smile.gif

All you have to do is drop an xml file into a folder. Here's a how to:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=135871

Here is what a Valve employee said about the possibility of a JotoKey like app being built in:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=32765769&postcount=132

Personally I would love to play all 3 mass effects on my pc with mods sitting back on my couch.
post #19 of 35 Old 09-13-2012, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

...Whaaaaat? From the update changelog today. biggrin.gif
Quote:
•Games managed by the new content system can select alternate installation locations other than the Steam folder (Windows)

post #20 of 35 Old 09-13-2012, 04:08 PM
Bass Enabler

F**k YEAH!!!! biggrin.gif

About g'damned time. Wait...wait... so not all games then? confused.gif

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

post #21 of 35 Old 09-13-2012, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

F**k YEAH!!!! biggrin.gif
About g'damned time. Wait...wait... so not all games then? confused.gif

Yeah, I think there's only a select few games so far that have been converted to use the new format. I don't know which ones off the top of my head but I remember trying a few games where it said that they had to be converted before I could play them.

post #22 of 35 Old 09-13-2012, 04:34 PM
Bass Enabler

Quote:

Yeah, I think there's only a select few games so far that have been converted to use the new format. I don't know which ones off the top of my head but I remember trying a few games where it said that they had to be converted before I could play them.

Damn. That makes it pretty useless then. I need it to work with all my large open world sandbox games such as: GTA4, Fallout3/NV, Saints Row, ARMA series, Far Cry2, Crysis, Arkham City, Rage, Skyrim, Dead Island, Dead Rising, Borderlands, amongst many others. Ooofff.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

post #23 of 35 Old 09-13-2012, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm pretty sure Arkham City is in the new format, but I'm not 100% sure. It's a little annoying too because as far as I can see, there's not any way to move a game's location after it's already installed. Personally, I end up installing games I'm playing to the SSD, and then when I'm bored of them, then I move them to the HDD.

post #24 of 35 Old 09-13-2012, 06:38 PM
Bass Enabler

Quote:

I'm pretty sure Arkham City is in the new format, but I'm not 100% sure. It's a little annoying too because as far as I can see, there's not any way to move a game's location after it's already installed. Personally, I end up installing games I'm playing to the SSD, and then when I'm bored of them, then I move them to the HDD.

I'm building a new computer tomorrow and may just do that. I'll only have a 128gig SSD to work with so ...well, I don't know. The hard drive is 3TB which can hold all the games I own. The unfortunate part is the games that I like and play the most are the large (in file size) open world sandbox games that most benefit being on an SSD. Soo... I'll have to experiment with either this weekend. Preferably, I could install ANY Steam game where ever I wanted. Then I'd just buy an additional SSD to two in the future just to hold specific games that I want on an SSD. I'm not really so sure what is so hard about that. Without using Steam, it's very doable but all the games I own now are on Steam. What gives? C'mon Steam! Give up on updating all your HL2 source games for a week and make what I've said an option.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

post #25 of 35 Old 09-13-2012, 06:54 PM

Liked: 13
Steam mover?
post #26 of 35 Old 09-13-2012, 06:56 PM
Bass Enabler

I've thought about it. Guess I should read up on using that again.

But still. tongue.gif

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

post #27 of 35 Old 09-13-2012, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekret View Post

Steam mover?

I've been using it, but when I need to reinstall Windows in the near future (wiping the SSD), there's not going to be any way (that I know of) to easily redo the hard links to re-add the games to Steam again from the HDD.

post #28 of 35 Old 09-13-2012, 07:15 PM
Bass Enabler

Quote:

I've been using it, but when I need to reinstall Windows in the near future (wiping the SSD), there's not going to be any way (that I know of) to easily redo the hard links to re-add the games to Steam again from the HDD.

Got a large enough external hdd? Maybe put them all on that then reinstall Windows and Steam. Then one at a time put them on the SSD and then Steam Mover transfer? Sounds kind of tedious but it would be faster than having to re-download each one. I'm not sure how many games you have but I have well over 1.5tb of games. eek.gif

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

post #29 of 35 Old 09-14-2012, 12:28 AM

Liked: 93
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/09/11/finally-an-in-built-way-to-choose-steam-install-locations/

I just reinstalled Windows a couple weeks ago and in the process dropped my old Steam folder that hadn't been touched in a couple months in to the new Steam install. All 132 of my installed games popped up with the format conversion warning when I Verified Integrity Of Game Cache to force detection of the games. I haven't looked in to it particularly deeply, but I would guess that everything installed now uses the new content system. Old legacy stuff that is already sitting on your machine may still be using the old system, but will be converted when you do an integrity check.

So, select your new install folder. Everything you download from now on should go there regardless of the age of the game.
post #30 of 35 Old 09-14-2012, 09:07 AM
Bass Enabler

Pimp!!!

Thanks, James. smile.gif

Looks like I will be purchasing more SSD's in the future. tongue.gif

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page