Thin Client for Remote HTPC - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 09-13-2012, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone,

I recently moved in to a relatively large apartment, where my high-end gaming PC is in an office room pretty far from my home theater setup in the living room (way too far to make running HDMI or USB cables viable). I was wondering if it was possible to use a thin-client PC (like the Acer or HP mini-PCs) as a sort of proxy, which would output audio and video to my receiver and return keyboard and gamepad input to my office PC.

I appreciate any advice, and please be gentle - I'm new at this!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-14-2012, 01:17 AM

Liked: 93
Not with acceptable results. Lag becomes an issue with remote desktop, so much so that any sort of gaming is unpleasant. You may want to look in to wireless HDMI boxes and see how far you can stretch a wireless mouse and keyboard signal.

Alternatively, put the gaming PC in the room with the big display and get a cheap PC for your interweb browsing and office work. I ran a Mac Mini as my primary web machine for a while as I put my main PC in the living room for games. The little dual-core 2.Xghz machine was perfectly acceptable for daily use.
post #3 of 3 Old 09-14-2012, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
The thing is, I want to play certain games (like flight sims and FPSs) at my desk, where I will eventually have a multi-monitor setup. Other games, like 3rd person RPGs, are more suited to a TV experience with a controller. I could set up another computer in the living room, but I'd like to have my main PC's capabilities available to me there as well. I'll look into wireless HDMI and USB adapters - I've already seen a few that may be good options. Thank you very much!
Reply HTPC Gaming