Questions About My Very First HTPC Build! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-18-2012, 03:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

I'm putting together a Prodigy Bitfenix build, and the parts are on their way! Specs below. This is my first "serious" investment build, the rest have mainly been to just keep up with the times, always kinda slip-shod jobs that had problems from the get-go. This time, I'm taking my time.

The idea is that this will sit in the living room next to my desk, but also be connected through the receiver/50" 1080p TV. In that sense, it'll be a gaming/office work/HTPC hybrid. As far as the TV part goes, I plan on using Steam's Big Picture for games (action, RPG, strategy, no hardcore competitive FPS), but also for media and just playing music during parties. At my desk, I'll be using a 22" monitor for games and regular office work. Eventually, I'll be scaling my TV and monitor up to something that can handle higher resolutions, but for now they're both max 1080p. But future-proofing is definitely a desire. I'll be doing some of my gaming from a couch, hence the wireless kb/mouse.

This thing needs to have fairly low noise/heat levels, since it's in the living room. Also needs to look reasonably attractive. Planning on putting some white vinyl on the black faceplate of my optical to stick with the white look...Got a cool Banksy stencil to put on the side...The works.

I do have a couple questions given that this is my first build, and I'd love your input!

Questions
1.)Given my needs (living room, low noise, gaming, HTPC), do any parts jump out at you as wrong or ill-advised? Will this thing be really loud?

1.5)For those familiar with the case, how do those fans and that fan placement sound, both in terms of cooling and noise?

2.)Also given the noise and heat preferences, what speeds should I be overclocking the CPU and GPU? Should I OC the RAM, too?

2.5)Ummm...How do I OC? Assume I have basic familiarity with the BIOS. Is it just about upping the voltage?

3.)I am using the 750AX PSU from my last build, but am not 100% sure I'll be able to cram it into the bracket. Do you recommend I forego the PSU altogether in favor of something that will give me big gains in the noise/heat department without sacrificing performance?

4.)Wil I have a very hard time with the Logitech MX5500? I was hoping for a wireless solution and thought Bluetooth would be preferable since I've also got my wireless router, xbox/ps3 controllers, and (see below) a potential wireless headset hogging up the RF signals. Should I go for RF, or even figure out some way to use wired, instead? (Any suggestions?) I've always liked the look of the Razer stuff.

5.) I'd like to get a wireless headset, but I want to be able to use it with at least the xbox and PC, if not the PS3 as well. If it could plug into each device and the receiver (1/4" or 3.5mm) too, that'd be great. If it only does receiver/PC or Xbox 360/PC, that works.

6.) I'm no handyman (don't even own a Dremel) but I am excited by the prospect of case modding, especially since this case starts off looking so cool. Adding a window and perhaps even a full WC loop are of interest. How did the case modders among you get started and are there great primers out there?
Whew. I am stoked! Thanks for all the help.

Components:
CPU: Core i5-3570K 3.4 Ghz
Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe
Graphics: Gigabyte GTX 670 2 GB
Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 1600
System Drive: Kingston HyperX 3K 240GB SATA III SSD
Data Drive: Seagate Barracuda XT 2TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s HDD
PSU: Corsair 750AX
Optical: LITE-ON 12X BD-R
Case: BitFenix Prodigy Arctic White

Cooling:
Corsair H80 with Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850 Fan (Mounted as Rear Exhaust)
BitFenix Spectre Pro 200mm White LED Case Fan (Front Intake)
Xigmatek Crystal Series 120mm White LED Case Fan (Top Intake)

Input:
Logitech MX5500 Revolution BT Mouse/Keyboard
Xbox 360 Wireless Controller
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2012, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Your build is fine. Have fun with it!

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!