EVGA Geforce GTX 660 SC clock speed at 549MHz? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 09-27-2012, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hello.

I recently purchased a Geforce GTX 660 (EVGA Superclock edition), and I really like the card (an upgrade from my GTX 285) and runs some of my games better. One thing I noticed however, was that, check on both Easytune 6 and MSI afterburner, my base clock is set at 549MHz, which is a far cry from the advertised 980Mhz stock clock speed and is even lower than my GTX 285 (at 648MHz) I got from a friend for free.

This is not about overclocking (unless if setting the clock speed at stock is considered that), and never attempted to, but I do want to run my game at the clock speed it is advertised. Some of my games are, while all are running at 60FPS technically, some gives me stuttering (MW3, BF3) or frame-rate drops (CS:GO, Crysis 2), and some don't run better than my GTX 285 (Sonic Generations, GTA IV, Black Ops, Skyrim).

I would move the clock speed to 980MHz, but my main concern is fan speed and temperature, and whether it would damage my components. My card goes over 60 celsius at 549MHz, although lower than 80 celsius in stock clocks for the GTX 285, I would like a reference to keep my GPU below 80 if I want to run it at stock clock speed.

Any help is appreciated.

Edit: My specs

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-D3
Processor: AMD FX-6100 6 core 3.4 Ghz
RAM: Cosair XMS3 8gb (4GB X 2)
Hard Drive Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM
Power Supply: Antec 25 650W
Case: Cool Master HAF 922
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 09-27-2012, 09:22 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 710
The 6 series will underclock when running in 2d (windows, no 3d acceleration) to lower it's wattage usage. It's a standard feature. My 670gtx does the same thing.

Those games that you see little difference in are not GPU heavy but more so CPU intensive. Everything sounds normal to me.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page