Latest Deskop Quad Cores with LOW Power Consumption, any thoughts?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 09-28-2012, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Currently i have a 1st gen core-i7 920, 2.66mhz it uses 120watts running win7 Ultimate 64 bit, i would like to find similar performance or higher but using less power

Its hard to keep up with the latest power consumption releases. i came across an article from 2011 about Via nano quad core but its only 1.2mhz quad but only uses 27 watts.

I am just a casual gamer, playing things like just cause 2, sleeping dogs, and saint row the third, i`m not worried about ultra high fps. I do some video editing on occasion, and enjoy the benefits of processing speed+ I run my 1080p projector from my desktop computer also,
I feel my current rig is great but 120watts consumption is becoming dated, especially with high electric prices. I plan to sell my core-i7 if i can find a suitable alternative that will slash my electricity bill.

Anything good released this year? or coming out soon please post here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 09-28-2012, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 40
No, there's nothing out there that will slash your electric bill nor is anything coming out that will. The Via CPU you were drooling over is nothing comparable to what you have now as it's on the same plane as Intel Atom chips or AMD's comparable offerings.
post #3 of 15 Old 09-28-2012, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter

Made some progress just browsed Intel site; their 3rd gen Core i7-3770T is 2.5ghz quad core uses just 45watts
http://ark.intel.com/products/65525/Intel-Core-i7-3770T-Processor-%288M-Cache-up-to-3_70-GHz%29
post #4 of 15 Old 09-28-2012, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 40
The TDW for the upcoming Haswell should be similar but if you are using an add-in GPU, it takes away from your power savings. Keep in mind that the 120 watt listing for your CPU is not what it actually uses in real day operation. It's probably significantly less. My older quad-core system barely tops 100 watts and I've got a GTS 450, 16GB of RAM, and a Q6600.
post #5 of 15 Old 09-28-2012, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 154
I think you're just better off suspending or hibernating the PC when you're not using it. I would think that any power savings from switching CPUs wouldn't really be noticeable in your power bill.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #6 of 15 Old 09-28-2012, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 284
You will not notice anything on your bill switching, it's a waste of time even thinking about it. Get a mobo with stepspeed or enable it if you have it and your done. Your 920 will use less than 35 watts when it clocks down.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #7 of 15 Old 09-28-2012, 02:19 PM

Liked: 93
There is no processor on earth that you can buy that will give you similar performance and justify it's cost in power savings by the time the processor is no longer useful. The cost to purchase the CPU is just too high, and electricity is just too cheap. The math does not work out.

This is especially true with you living in a colder climate. Every watt that your CPU uses becomes heat. That waste heat heats your home. If you also heat your home with electric baseboard or forced-air heaters, this discussion becomes even sillier. It doesn't matter where a watt of electricity becomes heat, it converts and costs exactly the same.

Doing some rough back of the napkin math, where power costs $0.20/kwh, you are pumping the heat directly outside because you don't want it, and you save an unbelievably optimistic 30w per hour running the machine every hour of every day, you break even on a $200 CPU at about 3.5 years in to it's life. A) A 3.5 year old CPU is reaching the end of it's life anyway, B) these numbers are super-generous in favor of proving out positive power savings. Back in the real world, where you probably use the machine a maximum of 6 hours each day, and actually want the majority of that waste heat, you'd see a cost savings in like 15 years at the earliest, but probably closer to 60 years living in a cold area of the world. Go ahead and pick up the 45w Core-i7, then make sure to come back in 2072 when you do your next upgrade to let us know how it worked out for you.

So, no. Do not change CPUs purely for power savings. That is not a smart idea. Instead, the next time you upgrade for performance reasons take power efficiency in to concideration.

Math. It's what's for dinner.
post #8 of 15 Old 09-28-2012, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post

You will not notice anything on your bill switching, it's a waste of time even thinking about it. Get a mobo with stepspeed or enable it if you have it and your done. Your 920 will use less than 35 watts when it clocks down.

My mother board is a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7, I would like to know how to achieve 35w on my i7-920. Ive got a wattage meter plugged onto the end of the electricity plug socket, i have win7 running in powersaver mode, speedstep is enabled in bios, ive set the power management setting to use 5% minimum and 100% max. my graphics card i bought especially at the time is MSI ATI HD5750 which uses 16 watts in idle.

Powersaver mode runs at 132 to 134watts, its just seems excessive power to browse the internet,. If i run a game like Sleeping Dogs then the power usage goes up to 170watts which is to be expected from the graphics card. (Overclocking is off)
For simple things like internet browsing it would be cool if i could use minimal power.
post #9 of 15 Old 09-29-2012, 01:23 AM - Thread Starter

Thxs darklord James, yes some interesting points youve made.
Actually it is interesting as before i got my core i-7 i had a pentium 4, it took me a long time to upgrade, and when i did decide to upgrade i went for the newst one i could afford, luckily even tho its a 1st generation core-i7 its still held its value, so wouldnt really lose much money if i were to sell it, tho of course i would still take a loss.

I came across this chart from 2011 and relatively my rig seems to be doing better that what is around, so probably will end up keeping it for the time being.

Still i`d be intrested to see what new computers are coming out.
post #10 of 15 Old 09-29-2012, 03:28 AM - Thread Starter

45ghz supercomputer running on just 5 watts!, for $99 yes `im serious
Check out their kickstarter page http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/adapteva/parallella-a-supercomputer-for-everyone?ref=search
Would be curious to hear from a computer geek. Would we be able to run windows 7 on this? It comes with ubuntu they say.
i`m so tempted to pledge $99
post #11 of 15 Old 09-29-2012, 03:35 AM

Liked: 93
No. Bad scam. Bad, 800mhz x 64 simple cores is not 45ghz.

Let's use that horrible scam-math on your Radeon 5750. 720 cores x 700mhz = 492ghz!!!1one

Ermahgerd can I install WIndows 7 on it? It would be the most amazing thing ever made!!!
post #12 of 15 Old 09-30-2012, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by sellmejunk View Post

My mother board is a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7, I would like to know how to achieve 35w on my i7-920. Ive got a wattage meter plugged onto the end of the electricity plug socket, i have win7 running in powersaver mode, speedstep is enabled in bios, ive set the power management setting to use 5% minimum and 100% max. my graphics card i bought especially at the time is MSI ATI HD5750 which uses 16 watts in idle.
Powersaver mode runs at 132 to 134watts, its just seems excessive power to browse the internet,. If i run a game like Sleeping Dogs then the power usage goes up to 170watts which is to be expected from the graphics card. (Overclocking is off)
For simple things like internet browsing it would be cool if i could use minimal power.

thats only at Idle, most 920's run at about 115 watts max. You can also lower your voltage on your chip and under clock it. Just like in overclocking, you can lower the voltage and see the max you can under volt it and it still be stable. Though personally, I don't see whay it matters one way of the other. If all you want to do is surf the net, get a tablet and use the PC for games.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #13 of 15 Old 10-01-2012, 11:16 PM - Thread Starter

Yep i may have to get another PC to save some precious energy, perhaps that Adepteva Parrelella using 5watts with ubunto can satisify simple tasks like web browsing , . incidentally on a non gaming but HTPC topic I sent a message to Adapteva about their so called super computer to find out if it can play 1080p with ubunto mentioning if i could plug my 1080p projector into it, they replied with this.:

We are working on finalizing the HDMI resolution spec, stay tuned.
post #14 of 15 Old 11-04-2012, 06:19 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post

thats only at Idle, most 920's run at about 115 watts max. You can also lower your voltage on your chip and under clock it. Just like in overclocking, you can lower the voltage and see the max you can under volt it and it still be stable. Though personally, I don't see whay it matters one way of the other. If all you want to do is surf the net, get a tablet and use the PC for games.

Yep this is my plan. Right now I use my smartphone to surf stuff.. could use my laptop but then I got to boot it up all the time. GF keeps her comp on 24/7 so if im really needing to do some business stuff, I do it on there. Gaming PC is strictly what the name is. Keep the crap off it. biggrin.gif

PSN:The_Wise_Guy
XBL:DirtySanWiseGuy
Steam:The_Wise_Guy
BF4 PC:The_Wise_Guy

post #15 of 15 Old 11-04-2012, 11:42 PM

Liked: 18
If you are looking to save power, one thing that might work is to buy a nice SSD, if you do not already own one, another thing you could do is upgrade to windows 8. The combination of these 2 things would allow you to shutdown the computer completely and boot it up so fast you would never think twice about it. heck you could power it down just when you are running to the bathroom.

That said I agree with everyone else, the amount of money you will save will never add up, the only want to make serious power reductions is to buy a crappier computer that cannot handle gaming etc... It reminds me of all those people who went out and threw out all those incadescent light bulbs and converted to CFL to save power. At that time CFLs were pretty expensive, heck even up till recently they were. It just didn't add up would have taken them forever to make the money back. If you are concerned about power wait till you are ready to upgrade then keep it in mind when you select your components.
Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page