DTS Interactive - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 10-05-2012, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking to buy a card that uses DTS Interactive, because I know my Sony STR-DG510 receiver supports DTS using optical audio. Will this work for games in the same way Dolby Digital Live does?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-05-2012, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter

I just checked and apparently the receiver decodes both Dolby Digital and dts. However the card I'm looking at that uses dts interactive (but not dolby) is cheaper. My main concern is playing games with 5.1 over optical.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132013

That's the card I'm thinking of. Would the lack of Dolby be a problem?
post #3 of 6 Old 10-05-2012, 10:58 PM

Liked: 14
DTS Interactive (I thought it was called DTS Connect) will encode your audio into a DTS stream, so as long as your receiver will decode it, you should be fine. However, it's a lossy DTS stream. My experience with Dolby Digital Live was that the loss of quality due to compression was noticeable in many sources.

I'm not sure of the details of your setup, but if your receiver supports multichannel PCM over HDMI, I would strongly suggest investing in a video card or soundcard that can output multichannel PCM audio over HDMI. You wouldn't have any loss of quality this way.
post #4 of 6 Old 10-06-2012, 02:22 AM

Liked: 93
Either dts or Dolby will work just fine. It doesn't really matter which one you go with. HDMI will not carry audio to your receiver. Pick the cheapest card that will do Dolby Live or dts Interactive, as your CPU is what is really doing all the processing.

That Asus card looks to be perfectly acceptable, and reviews perfectly fine. I think you have a winner.
post #5 of 6 Old 10-06-2012, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

Sounds good, I have a great processor too (Core i5 2500k). I've been trying to get 5.1 from PC to this receiver for so long after mistakenly thinking it would decode HDMI audio and also buying the wrong optical sound card. Thanks for the help guys, looks like I'll be ordering this card.
post #6 of 6 Old 10-07-2012, 11:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisnotdanny View Post

Sounds good, I have a great processor too (Core i5 2500k). I've been trying to get 5.1 from PC to this receiver for so long after mistakenly thinking it would decode HDMI audio and also buying the wrong optical sound card. Thanks for the help guys, looks like I'll be ordering this card.

It would depend if your video card or motherboard will output audio from HDMI, not really from your processor (but your processor is more than capable of doing so), but since that your receiver only does HDMI pass-through anyway (I checked your receiver), meaning it won't stream audio from HDMI, so your only option for audio is optical or coaxial if you want surround. DTS or Dolby Digital should be fine though since your receiver can decode it. The Sound card should do the trick
Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page