Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 10-26-2012, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 190
I'm fighting the urge to buy a new monitor but I keep looking at them and they keep asking to be bought. Anyone have experience with both and have opinions on which they liked more and why?

I was looking at the new ASUS 27" and 24" monitors.

I've been thinking about getting the one big to replace my 24" main monitor, or 2 of the 24" to run eyefinity. I have a Dell 2407 right now, it's a great monitor and I know the colors and lighting wouldn't match these monitors. I'm certain I could deal with the color mismatch, but I'm not sure I can deal with the FOV weirdness that I've seen on eyefinity demos.

The only other issue is the 16:10 ratio I'm on now and switching to 16:9 for the 27". It's been a long time since I've had a monitor that did 16:9.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-26-2012, 02:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Single big one. Eyefinity is awesome, but barely works. On a single large one you can still run a letter boxed 2:1 resolution and have extra wide screen going on for games that you really want more width on.

To be clear, I run 3x24". Just Cause 2 was awesome on it. So was Shift 2 and Team Fortress 2. Most other stuff is mediocre, warps too much, or adds nothing of value. You'll be better served in general with a single large monitor for gaming, with maybe your small monitor as a secondary for system monitoring and whatnot while in game. My 19" rotated to be tall sitting to the side of my single 24" was overall a better experience and a better spend than my 3x24", all said and done.
post #3 of 8 Old 10-26-2012, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: guarding my retirement igloo...with a McMillan TAC-50 long range sniper rifle
Liked: 10
I have both a single large monitor (30" DELL) and three monitor setups (3x24" ASUS) setups. For most gaming I use my 30" DELL and the triples are use only for my sim racing rig. I found with triples I just didn't feel right when I playing FPS. Some weird motion artifacts I just didn't like coming from the side displays. But for sim racing the triples are much better then one large display. The side monitors provide a sense of speed that is missing from an one display setup regardless of size (tried on a 100" projector screen, look impressive but just not realistic). The side displays artifacts are not really noticeable since they are only meant as peripheral vision aids. Yes this might help with some FPS games but for me it was just too disorientating.

You do not stop playing because you get old...
You get old because you stop playing.
post #4 of 8 Old 10-27-2012, 05:36 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
I use a 46" 3DTV as my monitor now and love it. I think its a great solution for those that want a wider field of view but don't want the bars. It also adds greatly to the vertical fov, which in my opinion is highly under-rated as an immersion booster.
post #5 of 8 Old 10-27-2012, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by tory40 View Post

I use a 46" 3DTV as my monitor now and love it. I think its a great solution for those that want a wider field of view but don't want the bars. It also adds greatly to the vertical fov, which in my opinion is highly under-rated as an immersion booster.

I have a 46" TV that I hook up occasionally, but I still prefer the IPS panel.

I just have a feeling the 3 panel thing is a more solid investment for future gaming. It can only get better. Whereas the single panel would make me regret not getting in on the surround games. Or if I get the 3 panels, I'm gonna hate myself for not getting that higher res.

I wish I could afford both to determine which I prefer. Well, I could, it's just not a very wise decision smile.gif

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #6 of 8 Old 10-27-2012, 09:43 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
I'd i could get rid of the bars and increase the vertical fov, i'd agree with ya.

How about a 4k 55" then! biggrin.gif Mounted at the back of your desk. Thats what im waiting for. That and a higher resolution Oculus Rift.
post #7 of 8 Old 10-28-2012, 01:33 AM

Liked: 93
"That and a higher resolution Oculus Rift."

5" 1080p panels are now a thing. Oculus will be 960x1080 per eye before it ships to consumers. It's 720p right now to get it in to developer hands as quickly as possible.

"I just have a feeling the 3 panel thing is a more solid investment for future gaming. It can only get better."

No, it can't only get better.

Eyefinity isn't a new thing anymore. Developers have pretty much just said "No, we aren't going to put any effort in to making that work." Things can very reasonably get actively worse.

Get the bigger, high resolution panel, and run 2560x1080 or 2560x1280 for games that behave and you want wider ratios on. Or get an even larger 50"+ 1080p panel and run 1920x816.
post #8 of 8 Old 10-30-2012, 09:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 77
If the games you like to play support wide FOV or if the FOV can be modified, or if you like doing a lot of tweaking, then multi-monitor setups are great. Without modification of the FOV, you're just stretching out the sides and creating artifacts and wasting electricity. Also, many games crop vertical FOV when widescreen resolutions are set (it's cheating, but most people don't notice). Otherwise, the single display will "just work" with everything you do. I'd let the games you play be the deciding factor. I've tried it both ways and prefer a single display.

Widescreen Gaming Forum is a great place to read to help make some of these decisions.

www.wsgf.org
Reply HTPC Gaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page