Bluetooth Card/Keyboard/Mouse Tips? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 11-01-2012, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm trying to see if I can build an HTPC this year - the first computer I've built, and I really don't know anything about bluetooth adapters. I think I'd preferably get a PCIe card for Bluetooth to go with a wireless keyboard and mouse. Are there any particular card brands or models I need to look out for?

In terms of the keyboard and mouse, I don't need anything really fancy or expensive. A standard keyboard and mouse are fine as long as they are wireless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-02-2012, 07:51 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 179
I've never used a bluethooth item on my desktop, but I assumed any mice/keyboards came with a receiver to connect with the PC. Just like the older tech wireless stuff. There's a usb dongle usually. I guess they quit doing that?

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #3 of 6 Old 11-02-2012, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post

I've never used a bluethooth item on my desktop, but I assumed any mice/keyboards came with a receiver to connect with the PC. Just like the older tech wireless stuff. There's a usb dongle usually. I guess they quit doing that?

I know they have dongles, but I'd rather not waste a USB port like that and just use a PCIe port instead.
post #4 of 6 Old 11-03-2012, 10:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 264
I stopped using BT years ago because I was tired of the keyboard always falling asleep. It also seemed to lag a bit for gaming so I just went wired and never worry about it. Wires with an HTPC aren't the most elegant solution but they work for me. I'm not sure if there's any BT PCI cards. I certainly haven't seen one in a long time.

edit Now that I think about it, if you're looking for a PCI card why would you not just get a PCI USB card and use it instead? You'll make it much easier on yourself by giving you extra USB ports in addition to using available USB dongles out there. I don't think you would probably have to worry about half height cards unless you're getting a very thin case.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 6 Old 11-04-2012, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 View Post

I stopped using BT years ago because I was tired of the keyboard always falling asleep. It also seemed to lag a bit for gaming so I just went wired and never worry about it. Wires with an HTPC aren't the most elegant solution but they work for me. I'm not sure if there's any BT PCI cards. I certainly haven't seen one in a long time.
edit Now that I think about it, if you're looking for a PCI card why would you not just get a PCI USB card and use it instead? You'll make it much easier on yourself by giving you extra USB ports in addition to using available USB dongles out there. I don't think you would probably have to worry about half height cards unless you're getting a very thin case.

I didn't mention it here, but I would almost always be sitting 10-to-15 feet away from the computer itself, so wires aren't really an option. I didn't realize USB dongles were the norm though. In that case what are the most recommendable kb/m/dongle combos for your money? Also, I actually already own an Apple bluetooth keyboard, but that still leaves a bluetooth adapter of some kind and a wireless mouse.
post #6 of 6 Old 11-04-2012, 11:34 PM

Liked: 18
My advice would be stay away from bluetooth. From my limited experience blue tooth never had good range, as other said it would fall asleep to easily. As such you do not see near the ubiquity that blue tooth should have recieved.

Just stick with logitech or other companies wireless accessories that use RF and come with their own dongles. In addition so much of the content in the next couple years is moving over to being able to use wireless lan connections IE WiDi. And even when it does not support that there is also someone making something that works over the network.

My next question would be how much gaming do you plan to do on this machine? Or I assume that is what you are building it for, also what type of games. Because for most of your web browsing and what not any smartphone / tablet you have will work just fine, and you will not need a keyboard / mouse at all.
Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page