DPI Gaming Issues? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 11-20-2012, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I tried searching this forum for this issue but I didn't readily seem to come upon an answer.

So I have a 37" HDTV connected to my HTPC. In order to read basically anything on it, though, I have the DPI up really high (200%). However, I've finally gotten a video card recently so that I can play some games, but I worry that my need to actually read text on the screen is incompatible with my desire to play games on it.

Case in point: Apparently there's some bug with Blizzard games (Starcraft 2 in particular), where if you have the DPI set above 149%, your cursor turns invisible and while you can click things, you have no idea where the cursor is pointing. I've been looking for a fix for this problem, and aside from restarting my computer every time I want to play Starcraft (because you need to log out for DPI changes to take effect), I'm SOL.

I'm also having an issue where FTL either doesn't play in full screen or the windowed mode is way too large for my TV. I'm not sure if the two issues are connected, but I'm worried that they might be.

Have any of you had this problem and, if so, have you found any good workarounds?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-21-2012, 12:04 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Run a lower DPI and sit closer to the display. Run a lower DPI and get a bigger TV. Run a lower DPI and increase the system-wide font sizes.

You'll notice a common theme there. smile.gif

The Windows interface is not intended to be used at greater distances. It's designed to be used two feet from your head. Moving further away and not increasing the size of the display to match results in an experience that kind of sucks. With your 37" display, you really shouldn't be any further than 3.5-4 feet from it in order to use Windows properly.
post #3 of 3 Old 11-28-2012, 02:07 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For DPI issues with games, right click on the desktop icon or the .exe file for the game in windows explorer. Under the compatibility tab, scroll down and check disable display setting on a high dpi settings. This will allow the program or game to bypass your custom dpi setting and work as normal. I do this for several games since I too use various displays for a HTPC in my home. Hope this helps.
Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page