[SOLVED] Can't get my PC to recognize all 7 channels of my Receiver - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-25-2012, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
SOLVED

Hello all, I've looked everywhere on the web and I can't seem to figure this out. I don't know if its an AMD driver problem, a windows sound device manager problem, a hardware problem with the GPU, or possibly something else...

I'm trying to hook my Windows 7 64bit PC up to my Denon 1912 via HDMI to get 5.1 or 7.1 for gaming and movies, and pass the video through from the receiver to my TV.

The problem is that my PC is only recognizing my Denon as a 2 channel receiver when it is in fact a 7.1 receiver.

My GPU is an XFX Radeon 7850 1GB, and it is supposed to integrate audio processing and supports all lossless HD audio codecs and lower (DTSHD, DDTrueHD, PLXII, etc etc.). I don't know the specifics of how it's actually processed - whether the GPU itself processes and outputs the audio, or if it delegates it to my soundcard and collects the output from there to pass through with the video - but I DO KNOW that my old 6770 had no problems hooking up to my receiver.

When right clicking on the sound icon in the system tray on my PC and selecting playback devices, the HDMI sound device is only stated to have 2 channels.

I tried plugging in an optical cord so that the realtek would handle the audio, but the problem persisted. This time, my Denon was recognized as being a 5 channel device (which makes sense because I was using an optical with a max handling of 5 channels), but when playing games that I know have full 5.1, I wasn't getting 5 channels, only 2.

Of course I could still get sound from all my speakers with just a few clicks of the remote, but not discrete sound (I tested in games by doing things like standing in front of someone talking or something on fire then turned my back on them to, and the sound didn't come from my rear speakers as it should have with discrete sound.

All speakers are hooked up correctly...everything concerning how I have it wired is definitely correct. My PS3 plays full 7.1 movies and 5.1 games without a hitch.

I've tried 4 or 5 different AMD drivers, starting with 12.11 beta, then rolling back to something like 12.4 and selectively downloading and testing a few in between the two and restarting my PC after every driver install just to be sure...nothing changed.

So I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas about a fix for this? Or if not a fix, would someone know for sure what the source of the problem is (i.e. is it a realtek driver issue, an AMD driver issue, a microsoft update issue, a Denon firmware issue, etc.)?

Another possible problem could be that my PSU isn't adequate maybe? Might be a longshot but the card does draw quite a bit of power and I'm running one 5400rpm HDD and another 7200rpm, as well as the fans and so on, on only a 450W. A decent 450W mind you, but still I thought perhaps the PSU cant deliver enough juice on one rail to process a demanding game AND 5-7 channel audio

BTW I hope this is the best forum for this post...since I can't really isolate the source of the problem I wasn't sure which forum/subforum to post this in.

Let me know if any more info is needed if you think you might have a hunch, and thanks in advance for your input

void adjustPrice{

if (hasAppleLogo == true){

price += 450;

}

}

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2012, 06:57 PM

Liked: 93
I was going to hop in and help, and for the record, I'm quite good at that. Then I saw that you have a signature section that says "Don't bother".
Old 11-25-2012, 07:34 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

I was going to hop in and help, and for the record, I'm quite good at that. Then I saw that you have a signature section that says "Don't bother".

Wow are you kidding me? So you just came in this thread to post this? The d-baggery is quite staggering...

Anyway, let me try to help you Agent. You may have tried this, but go to your control panel, hardware and sound, then click on Manage audio devices. There you should see your AMD/ATI sound driver and whatever other on-board sound you have (probably Realtek). Make sure the AMD/ATI option is checked (sounds like you confirmed this already), Now single click on the AMD/ATI option and make it highlighted. Now you should see the configure button is able to be pressed. Hit the configure button and setup your speakers to 5.1 or 7.1. Sounds like yours is set to 'stereo'. Now you can test your speakers and it should work correctly. I often switch from my PC room with a stereo setup to my living room with a 5.1 setup and I have to do this every time. It seems to default to stereo every time I hook my PC up to my Onkyo receiver via HDMI.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:39 PM

"Wow are you kidding me? So you just came in this thread to post this?"

The point is pretty obvious. You'll get more help without a signature that isn't immediately antagonistic.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwing View Post

Wow are you kidding me? So you just came in this thread to post this? The d-baggery is quite staggering...
Anyway, let me try to help you Agent. You may have tried this, but go to your control panel, hardware and sound, then click on Manage audio devices. There you should see your AMD/ATI sound driver and whatever other on-board sound you have (probably Realtek). Make sure the AMD/ATI option is checked (sounds like you confirmed this already), Now single click on the AMD/ATI option and make it highlighted. Now you should see the configure button is able to be pressed. Hit the configure button and setup your speakers to 5.1 or 7.1. Sounds like yours is set to 'stereo'. Now you can test your speakers and it should work correctly. I often switch from my PC room with a stereo setup to my living room with a 5.1 setup and I have to do this every time. It seems to default to stereo every time I hook my PC up to my Onkyo receiver via HDMI.

It won't even recognize it as a 7 channel device, see screenshot:

I downloaded realteks latest drivers just for good measure...to no avail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

"Wow are you kidding me? So you just came in this thread to post this?"
The point is pretty obvious. You'll get more help without a signature that isn't immediately antagonistic.

If it makes you feel better I've owned an iPhone 4 for about 2 years and plan on getting a mac when I find a way to sew the hole that seems to be in my wallet

void adjustPrice{

price += 450;

}

}

Old 11-25-2012, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

also...

void adjustPrice{

price += 450;

}

}

Old 11-25-2012, 09:28 PM
Advanced Member

With my ATI/AMD card's HDMI, the graphic looks nothing like that on the my PC when I have the HDMI hooked up. It says it is ATI when I am on that screen. Like this:

Old 11-26-2012, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter

So I redownloaded the drivers from realtek, both the ATI HDMI driver and the standard realtek driver, and now my sound device looks similar to yours Hawkwing, but it is now showing up and being "not connected". When i roll the driver back on the ATI, it reverts to the way you see it in my previous screenshot, and when I reinstall the driver (from the windows driver details tab) it again looks like your screenshot but still registered as not connected.

Im at work right now (on my iPhone wink.gif) so I cant provide a screenshot, but ill check back in tonight.

I sent out a support form on the AMD website outlining the details but I doubt I'll see a fix. It seems to be a situation where noone really wants to take accountability...like AMD can say its realteks problem to sort out, and realtek can say its Denon's problem with the firmware, and Denon could slough it off and say I need to contact my computer manufacturer, etc.

I never would have thought it would be so difficult to get surround sound out of a fairly new computer when the PS3 and XBox can set it up just fine

void adjustPrice{

price += 450;

}

}

Old 11-26-2012, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Did you try to set the "realtek HDMI output" as the default audio device instead of "ATI HDMI"? From the looks of the screenshot, the audio is outputting from the realtek driver.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Tried it, but the realtek is the optical output

and i even tried outputting optical to my receiver...it said it was 5.1 in the sound devices but I was only getting 2 discrete channels...the wholething is messed right up :/

void adjustPrice{

price += 450;

}

}

Old 11-26-2012, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Why not just disconnect/disable the sound card altogether? Maybe a bit of a brute force solution, but it might help isolate the issue. That way you can start pinpointing whether your issue is coming from the sound card, your mobo, or your video card.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
Old 11-26-2012, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

Why not just disconnect/disable the sound card altogether? Maybe a bit of a brute force solution, but it might help isolate the issue. That way you can start pinpointing whether your issue is coming from the sound card, your mobo, or your video card.

good call, I was actually thinking of swapping out to my old GPU to test because Im sure i had 7.1 with my 6770...so Ill just leave my case open and after I test that, shut down, and pull out the audio card and see what happens with no audio card with the 7850 installed again

void adjustPrice{

price += 450;

}

}

Old 11-26-2012, 03:25 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
DarkLord, you never disappoint! Actual had me laugh at that one.

STEAM: Augcliffe
PSN: Augcliffe
Old 11-26-2012, 04:09 PM

wink.gif
Old 11-26-2012, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

I downloaded driver 12.3 and presto...it even recognizes my receiver by name!

After a system reboot my ccc shows that I'm running 12.11...maybe it's just detecting the latest driver on the system without actually paying attention to which driver is active.

Either way this is 100% guaranteed to be an AMD driver problem since 12.3 fixed it like magic. The difference - which I just figured out now - is that later catalyst versions, whether intentionally or not, cause the microsoft driver from 2010 to be in effect for HDMI, but 12.3 uses an AMD driver.

Here is the AMD driver with 12.3 :

And if I roll back that driver to what I had before it looks like this:

So basically I needed a version of catalyst that didn't let Microsoft's crap override it.

As for realtek I'm not sure why their ATI driver wouldn't even detect that my PC was connected to a sound device...their drivers must be as shoddy as their website eek.gif

For anyone in the future reading this thread with a similar problem I strongly urge you:

Download Catalyst Version 12.3 before you do anything else! Here

It could potentially save you a bunch of time and stress

void adjustPrice{

price += 450;

}

}

Old 11-26-2012, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Potentially useful info. I'm building a new PC (using an AMD GPU) in the next week or two, so this may come in handy.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
Old 11-26-2012, 10:01 PM
Advanced Member

Cool man glad you got it working. Thanks for putting 'solved' in the main thread title. That will probably help someone.