(Solution) 3D Projector & HDMI HD Sound - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 11-27-2012, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11

I ran into a problem and I found a solution that I wanted to share others who may run into the same sort of thing.

I have a 3D projector, the Acer H5360 that does Stereoscopic 3D with Nvidia 3D Vision. Also I just purchase a receiver Denon AVR1513.

So first thing I tried was to connect the projector to the HDMI output on my receiver and run the HDMI out from my Nvidia card to the input on the receiver. And for 2D it works great, but when I went to test my 3D performance, it didn't work at all.

The problem is that Windows 7 64 only recognizes the receiver in the HDMI daisy chain. And so the 3D software doesn't offer stereoscopic 3D.

The first solution I came up with is to purchase and HDMI switch. Which would enable me to still take advantage of HD sound with the receivers DAC when I want to watch a movie in 2D. And then for 3D movies and games switch the HDMI box over to a direct link for the projector to the video card and use an optical cable from my sound card to the receiver.

That solution sucks though, because for one, it involves buying a switch box that may or may not work, increases cable clutter, and worst of all, forces me to choose between 3D and HD sound.

So on thinking about it I found a solution that works much better. The only addition equipment needed is a DVI to HDMI converter that often comes free with video cards.

Step 1. Connect the projector to the DVI/HDMI converter.
Step 2. Connect the HDMI out from the Video Card to the receiver
Step 3. (This is the trickiest part but once you get it down it's easy) Power on your projector and receiver. Don't bother using the Nvidia Control Panel, it's of no use here. Instead go to your Windows Display Resolution Control Panel. Here all you have to do is get your projector and receiver to share the Desktop. So just switch over your desktop to your projector, then select your receiver and select "Extend Desktop to this Display" option listed for your receiver.
Step 4. Don't forget to go into your audio control and also select your receiver as the defualt audio devise.

Now using this method, you can enjoy your 3D movies and games and have DTS-HD or what ever at the same time.

Note: Don't bother with the option of Duplicating Display, as it will most likely not work for 3D.

Asus Maximus IV GeneZ--i5 2500K @ 4.2Ghz-8Gb Corsair 1.5v 9-9-9-243x --Intel x25m 80Gb & Corsair GT 240Gb--GTX780by Evga-- Corsair AX 850 PSU--Denon AVR x1000--Asus PB278Q monitor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-27-2012, 06:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 124
I tried this and it doesn't work with my receiver, which is a Marantz SR5004 and only supports HDMI 1.3 instead of 1.4a required for 3D. Sigh. I had to run an analog cable from my motherboard's output and use the HDMI out from my AMD 6950 to the projector to get the 3D to work.

HDMI is such a stupid PIA

It looks like an HDMI splitter is the only way to get both HD sound and 3D without upgrading my receiver. At least monoprice has a decent one for like 40 bucks. Will probably pick that up soon.
post #3 of 8 Old 01-04-2013, 08:37 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLBURNSIDE View Post

I tried this and it doesn't work with my receiver, which is a Marantz SR5004 and only supports HDMI 1.3 instead of 1.4a required for 3D. Sigh. I had to run an analog cable from my motherboard's output and use the HDMI out from my AMD 6950 to the projector to get the 3D to work.
HDMI is such a stupid PIA
It looks like an HDMI splitter is the only way to get both HD sound and 3D without upgrading my receiver. At least monoprice has a decent one for like 40 bucks. Will probably pick that up soon.

It wont work. See this: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1251962/the-3d-via-a-hdmi-1-3-av-receiver-thread/210#post_21873498
And I cant even do the "send audio via optical" trick because my stupid Pioneer will not let you pair optical audio with an HDMI input!
post #4 of 8 Old 01-04-2013, 09:10 PM
Advanced Member

thankfully I figured out a solution : use displayport -> hdmi adapter directly to my projector, and the hdmi native output of my video card to the receiver. now I get everything, at least on my PC. only cost me 25 bucks too. not bad
post #5 of 8 Old 01-21-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLBURNSIDE View Post

thankfully I figured out a solution : use displayport -> hdmi adapter directly to my projector, and the hdmi native output of my video card to the receiver. now I get everything, at least on my PC. only cost me 25 bucks too. not bad

What type of graphic card do you have? To do that, it would have to output video on both the HDMI and hte displayport. I thought HTCP would prevent that.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-24-2013, 01:36 PM

Hi Everyone,

Just came across this thread and I believe I have the same issue you are all discussing.

I have an Intel based quad core, Windows 7 64-Bit Media Center PC, running a newly purchased MSI GTX660 ti Power Edition Video Card.

Connection are as follows:

MSI GTX 660ti HDMI Out
> going into my Denon 3312ci HDMI "Game 1" Input
>, then outputting via Denon HDMI Out
> to my Panasonic PT AE-8000u Projector.

All video is ran via HDMI thru the Denon Receiver and then a single 35 foot Monorpice "Redmere" HDMI Cable is ran to the Projector.

Audio is supplied to the Denon Receiver via a Fiber Optic Cable, as sound is not being passed thru the Nvidia Video Card...

I get constant HDMI Handshake issues while watching TV, and can tell that the Media Center PC Does not recognize that there is a Panasonic Projector on the end of the HDMI Connection routed thru the receiver...

The Panasonic Projector shows the on-screen graphic like it is re-sensing the input on HDMI-1 on the projector everytime the "Screen Blanking" issue occurs, even when I try to use a DVI to HDMI Converter...all still going thru the Denon Receiver...

I have read here that this could be related to adjusting a setting within Windows:

http://experts.windows.com/frms/windows_entertainment_and_connected_home/f/114/p/100045/529903.aspx

In order to fix this one could try the following:

"Right click the speaker icon in your tray, choose playback devices, and open the properties for the HDMI output. In the advanced tab, uncheck "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device."

However this has not helped..

So perhaps I will try going straight to the Projector using DVI and trying the suggestion JonainPDX mentioned in their post...

Oh Yes, I am also running the latest Denon Firmware and Nvidia Drivers for the Video Card....

Any comments suggestions appreciated!

Thanks !

User7007
post #7 of 8 Old 01-24-2013, 01:55 PM

Also as a follow up. I have read other posts that recommend that if you are connecting an HTPC to a Denon Receiver, it is advised you connect to the "Game 1" and or the "Game 2" inputs as this will help other connectivity issue with getting a picture in general...

I have no idea why but it worked for me.....I previously had my HTPC connected to the HDMI Input labeled "DVR" and was unable to see a picture....It worked once I used the "Game 1" or "Game 2" Input...

Thanks Denon for not mentioning it in the Owner's manual!
post #8 of 8 Old 03-20-2013, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

The HDMI port on my old panasonic plasma had some issues with my PC, until I got a native HDMI videocard, but it worked via the DVI->HDMI adapter when inputted through the Game HDMI port (on mine it was the front port on the TV, not ideal).

I guess no one has found out how to do this reliably? I want my HTPC to play audio when the projector is off!! Soooo annoying. Even with a splitter, I think I'll need an EDID spoofer added into the keychain. Screw HDMI, I wish there was something better. DisplayPort seems like the exact same thing. Now that I got rid of my plasma I'm back to having issues that I'm not even sure what to buy to fix it any more. I don't want to buy a new receiver just to forward 3D video through it, since my Marantz cost me peanuts and has all the audio HD codecs I could ever need.
Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page